Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Dec 16, 2013
AJ Styles Issues Statement On TNA Departure

AJ Styles Issues Statement On TNA Departure

AJ Styles issued the following statement on his departure from TNA…

Today for the first time in 11 years, AJ Styles awakes to find himself without a professional wrestling contract. I can’t help but think how did I get here, what must I have done wrong, did I not deliver in the ring, etc. All of those are pertinent questions that any man or woman who finds himself or herself unemployed would ask.

I have always prided myself in being the wrestler that stays away from the things in this business that could easily destroy myself, my family, my marriage, and even my career. A wrestler who goes above and beyond to give the fans what they paid to see.

I move forward not bitter, but better for the blessings and memories that I have been a part of since TNA’s inception.

When this contract renegotiation journey started several months ago, my wife and I began praying for God to close doors that needed to be closed and to open the doors that He wanted us to walk through. We asked him to prepare us for this journey and to help us to have the faith to be obedient to what He would have us to do. I am assured by the name Immanuel in Matthews 1:23 that I will never be alone. Hebrews 13.5, says He will never leave us or forsake us. There is a lot in this world that I am unsure of, especially in this moment, but there is one thing that I am certain. Contracts may expire, but the promise of Immanuel will never expire.

As my family and I move forward with my wrestling career, we will turn to Jabez’s prayer found in 1 Chronicles 4:10.

Oh, that You would bless me indeed,
and enlarge my territory,
that Your hand would be with me,
and that You would keep me from evil.

My family and I are both grateful for the platform that TNA has allowed me to experience. TNA has been a blessing to our family for many years. We have made many friendships and many more memories. While you may not be seeing AJ Styles in TNA, you can be sure that he will be traveling the world and delivering many more Phenomenal matches. Visit for a complete list of bookings.

AJ Styles

41 Responses to “AJ Styles Issues Statement On TNA Departure”

1. gar2233 says:

come back to tna aj styles

2. AussieWrestling says:

No Aj dont leave :((

What does God have to do with it? He made the decision to NOT take their offer. I respect AJ Styles as a wrestler but his beliefs are asinine.

• Tiffanydude says:

And so is your comment.

• andy3323 says:

Crazy thought here (<- sarcasm, btw) – but some people pray about taking certain offers, jobs, etc. and find the answers that way.

• soyfenomenal says:

I have no clue why you've gotten so many negative votes when you're absolutely right. God has literally no hand in this, let alone anything else.

• toddmikki says:

Says you, but some of the Biggest names in wrestling (and professional sports) put all their Faith in God! For instance Sting,AJ, and Shawn Michaels.

• Tiffanydude says:

It's because his comment was irrelevant and entirely disrespectful towards AJ and they way he chooses to live his life. Just because he mentions a higher entity that to him "helped him", it makes his reason for his decision automatically ridiculous? If you believe in God cool, if not good for you but to attack a person's belief that played a big part in their life is completely unacceptable and it makes the commenter look like a bigot.

• Sturk says:

God has EVERYTHING to do with a man of faiths life. If YOU don't get that or understand that then I shall pray for you. Every believer in God wants to do his will. So before you do certain things, you gotta talk to Him and listen as the holy spirit gives you the answer. God has answered me many times in life and I am certain he will continue in the future. Forever thankful

• fritiz1 says:

Sturk, I got to say that's probably the best post I have ever read on these message boards. I loved AJ's comments and hope all goes well with his future.

• WARISNAUGHTY says:

Look I'm sure all of your beliefs are sincere and well meant, however that does not mean that they are right. I do not wish to respond to all the comments because I simply do not have enough time. All I shall respond with to you, a theist. These answers which you wish to attribute to divine existence, how do you know that out of 1,000's of gods that you so happen to born or adopted the right one. I would however like to add one more thing, don't prey for me. I would much rather you do something positive. Tell you what. Give a dollar to a homeless person today.

4. TNA_Warrior_UK says:

I was hoping it was all just a work, but it seems that isn't the case. Sad day for TNA because AJ is TNA!

5. tnadude says:

It's a work. It's a good work. But it's a work.

He'll show up on Impact after the UK tour.

• Cezar_TheScribe says:

I'm thinking this too.

AJ's "unauthorized" title defenses should have been a dead give away.

• mthomashoover says:

It's not a work. AJ dropped the title to Magnus in tapings that will air next month. They had him doing unauthorized defenses because they were still negotiating at the time. He dropped it when they both realized they weren't going to come to terms.

• Bigmike885 says:

not really..did you notice that none of his appearances after today (when his contract is up) advertise that?…

• Phenomenal99 says:

I'm hoping too but can you be dead sure

• Tna4life says:

I’m not sure either way part of me doesn’t want to believe its a work. Look at all the things happening however I have to remember that pro wrestling is a business and contraversy gets people talking. Then people want to tune in so again I’m not sure either way. TNA please don’t let AJ go to the WWE or get hurt and can’t wrestle again. Man I loved his theme music I got it as a small portion from a clip as a ringtone .

6. TheMiwyun says:

aJ must now stop being cock gagged by TNA management and must no longer deepthroat dirk pritchard talent relations

7. gar2233 says:

I hope he show up on jan 16
    at genesis in hunstville AL

8. Tiffanydude says:

Until I see Dixie get the title back this is an obvious work.

9. purpleurkel says:

They wouldve let someone beat him for the title if this wasnt a long work

10. Undedlok says:

If it isn't a work, then maybe AJ has been doing this as a means to pitch a new character: Waylon Mercy 2014!!!

11. DJBIGCG says:

I'm not sure if this is a work, or is aj styles really leaving tna. If its a work, good job tna. If it isn't, I wonder how aj styles would do in wwe

12. Phenomenal99 says:

I really do hope this is a work, if it isn't i'm ashamed Dixie didn't knuckle down and resign him after all he is a TNA original (and my favourite superstar) if he is gone this how story of him making Dixie pay will all go to pot what do you guys think?

13. A_Double says:

Rockstar Spud 2 on 1 handicap match Vs The Nasty Boys

I hope that even TNA are not actually foolish enough to allow this to happen for real ( I think a work at this point). They are off the road and back taping shows, so the finance pressure must be off a bit. They released a lot of the mid card and I'm really noticing how shallow the roster is now. Put it this way, Barnes and Furnam, I dont mind them, but in the main event? Really?

14. tsoutheast says:

Sad that TNA can't pay a team player. But Dixie still wants to sign STING.

15. toddmikki says:

First hogan, than Bischoff, now AJ, im terribly afraid that TNA is done. Tna has NOTHING now that will bring fans in, and they cannot survive without growing!

16. TheMiwyun says:

It's part of the storyline…

• fritiz1 says:

There are spoilers below so stop reading if you don't want to know what's coming.

AJ comes back to Impact out of the blue to drop the title to Magnus, gives a heartfelt shoot promo after the show finished taping, states his contract is up before it airs on TV, and is now booked with several companies that film for TV and the internet which would violate a TNA contract and go beyond what would reasonably be done for a storyline. AJ is not with TNA at this time, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at some point but it highly doubtful this is all a work.

17. michael kulak says:

God Bless AJ and Family. Well put sir, well put. Thankyou for being unafraid and unashamed!