Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Oct 15, 2013
AJ Styles: ‘TNA Needs To Learn How To Use Hogan’

AJ Styles: ‘TNA Needs To Learn How To Use Hogan’

AJ Styles recently spoke with Busted Open Radio about his TNA status, Hulk Hogan and more. Check out the highlights:

On his journey through the past year: “Well, it’s definitely been a journey. The ups and downs. The roller-coaster that has been A.J. Styles. Going from wrestling James Storm and Bobby Roode and having it all on the line and couldn’t wrestle for TNA World Heavyweight Title, it could have been James Storm or Bobby Roode or myself. Lucky me, I had the opportunity to lose that match and it really set me in a different mindset and losing to Christopher Daniels in a match that I should have never lost but when your head is all screwed up as it was, it send you to a whirlwind of ‘I don’t knows and I don’t know who I am’ and problems occur and its reality and that’s what happens to a lot of people in life. They may lose their job, they may lose a marriage and stuff like this happens. Sometimes people forget who they are and what’s there purpose in life and that’s the same thing that happened to A.J. Styles.”
On being back in the main event of TNA Bound For Glory: “It feels awesome. I’ll tell you what feels better than being better in the main event; it’s having the crowd behind you. They know what they want out of A.J. Styles now. They know what to expect, when before they did not know what to expect, they didn’t know who I was or what to expect and to tell you the truth, I didn’t. But I think these fans know who I am now and what I’m after and who I have to beat to get it and that’s a great thing when you step into an arena and people are going crazy for you. It gives you that extra boost of energy that you can’t explain until you step into the ring or you step onto the field where all these people are cheering for you. It’s an amazing feeling.”

On bringing reality to pro wrestling: “I would love to tell you that it’s not all real but there is some truth that came out. Here is the reason why you know it’s the truth because it’s the same way you felt. I said what you would have said if you were standing in that ring and that’s what I intended to do. I think people needed to know that I understand them, I hear them and if I can make a change, I will. But it all comes from the top and we will start there. Now you see what happens.”

On being relied on: “What was bothering me was is that, you called on me every time you needed someone to take you to the next level to have that great match, you called on me. Then when it wasn’t called on me than what’s the deal. Then I realized for a second, I’m pissed off because I like being the go-to guy. I want to be that guy. Now that you are not giving me that chance, it’s pissing me off. That’s basically what I was saying. I enjoy being that go-to guy. I love being the guy that you’re going to give the ball to when it’s fourth down. I want to be that guy you give the ball to and I think a winner wants that. They want the ball in their hands when the championship is on the line or when the match is on the line but that fact that I wasn’t getting it is what really bothered me. You talk about not being in the main event, that’s exactly what I’m talking about here. I want to be the go-to guy but if you don’t give me the opportunity, how can I do that and what is stopping you and it was stuff like that, that really bothered A.J. Styles through the whole thing.”

On re-signing with TNA: “Here is the reality. I love TNA. I grew up there. It’s who I am. You said it before when people think of TNA, they think of A.J. Styles. I take pride in that. But something has to change and I want to be there. I don’t know any other way to say it. I love the place. I’m not saying I love what happened to it but I love that place and I want to see it grow. I know we have the talent. We have everything we need. The puzzle is not put together yet but once you get those pieces in there, you will see how it connects. Then you will be like: ‘Wow, we really got something’ but we need someone in charge that knows what to do with it once they see what’s going together well.”

On Hulk Hogan: “I think he opens up doors that we may or may not be able to open. I think that’s the biggest thing with Hulk Hogan. But we got to know on how to utilize him, use him and make the best out of Hulk Hogan. If we are going to sign him, he’s got to help us out. ‘We will scratch his back and he’ll scratch ours.'”

On the attitude in the TNA locker room: “Not everyone is going to be happy. Not everyone is going to be happy with the storyline that they are in, that’s just professional wrestling. Everyone wants to be at the top. Everybody thinks that they deserve more and you can’t blame them. You’re in a business where it’s going to take its toll on them as they get older and they want to make as much money as they can and think they have the ability to but when you’re not in that spotlight and believe me I know, it bothers you. I don’t want to say that we all are like: ‘This sucks’ because we’re not. There are a lot of us just having fun but there is always going to be disgruntled guys in the back. It happens, it’s a cycle. You have to go through your turn of: ‘Oh crap, ok. Here we go.’ It’s one of those kinds of things. The locker room to me is not bad but it’s never going to be perfect. I don’t care where you’re wrestling at.”

On the Bound for Glory Series: “I wish the Bound for Glory series was a little further back. That why there is more time to see who’s wrestling who at Bound for Glory. You know within a month, month and a half of who is wrestling at Bound for Glory. I think we need more time to really stretch that out and prepare for Bound for Glory from the Bound for Glory series.”

On Kurt Angle going to the TNA Hall of Fame: “He’s a machine. I know you guys must have heard that a million times but it’s true. He is one of the best professional wrestlers in wrestling. He’s got it all. He can get on the microphone and entertain you there or he can get you in the wrestling ring and do the same. I definitely think Kurt Angle deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. That’s the things that bother me the most is that our Hall of Fame is that our guys are still wrestling. Ultimately wait until they are retired because they still have more work to do. Image all the good things you can say about them and then they have the match of there life after we induct them to the hall of fame. You got to bring that up. But those guys, Sting and Kurt deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and I have no bad feelings towards them because they are great guys.”

15 Responses to “AJ Styles: ‘TNA Needs To Learn How To Use Hogan’”

1. kevin roulette says:

I think he’s right about Hogan .

2. Buseye says:

Actually,TNA needs to learn to move on and do w/o Hulk Hogan,you could have opened those doors up w/o his help if the company would just put more faith in them selves instead of having to rely on a self adsorbed, washed up WWE poster boy who now John Cena has took his place.
    Yes,he brings in the money for just his name alone that Vince McMahon created because HH can say what he wants and his fans can believe what they want but the truth of it is that if Vince McMahon and the WWE didn't hire Terry Bollea there wouldn't be a Hulk Hogan and it was Gorilla Monsoon that got the phrase "Hulkamania is here!" rolling.at MSG after HH won his first WWF title from the Iron Sheik.
    Since then,just about every one he was put up against was told to lay down for HH and let him win the match to make him look good.

• TheBossOfPW says:

Incorrect. When Monsoon said the iconic phrase "Hulkamania is here!" He was stating that the greatest wrestler in the World has finally come back to the WWF. Hogan had already gained world wide fame from his Rocky III appearance. Furthermore he had already broken into the main stream. He even appeared on the biggest TV show of the time, The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and discussed Hulkamania in 1982. Two years before Monsoon's phrase. Hogan was touring the World winning titles in the AWA, Japan and even wrestling in Africa. Vince hired him because he was ALREADY the hottest wrestler in the world and he knew that Hogan was the man to carry the WWF to new heights.

• Bigmike885 says:

tell you what..post a link where this is stated..because it's bs Other than the Rocky 3 part..He was big in AWA, but not a worldwide star..

3. Bartab says:

Nice interview. Screw hulk but it was verne who created hulk not vince. Why does everybody give him credit for everything? He did nothing except steal everybodies top guys. Learn history and not the wwf version. Vince is not anything special.

• Dennis D says:

That drives me crazy too. People tend to rewrite history to favor whomever is currently on top, or #1. Since Vince & WWE are the #1 company, everyone would much rather take the lazy route and assume that Vince McMahon is the alpha & omega of pro wrestling. When in fact there are and were more diabolical and genius minds that have graced the sports entertainment landscape.

It’s like with UFC. Everyone believes Dana White and his MMA fighters are the best of the best hands down. When in fact, that is not true. Ben Askren is capable of destroying quite a few UFC fighters in his weight class. Same goes for WWE/TNA, all because a guy is in WWE doesn’t mean he is automatically better than a TNA counterpart.

This isn’t the same as NFL or NBA, the #1 company doesn’t have an official draft where they can scoop up every top athlete in order to have the ‘cream of the crop’.

4. tna24 says:

aj got some good points, but he wrong about hogan, what more can we do with him, all he can do is be a voice and a face. it not like we can use him in a match. like we can with angle and sting. tna needs to just use hogan money else where. maybe use it by helping grow OVW to the point where it like wwe nxt

5. Luchador says:

very well said AJ Hogan needs to help TNA if they resign him

6. jbcissom says:

If Hogan isn't eating up a good portion of your payroll, and he is used only as a GM, then there is something to work with. But if neither of those two conditions are met, it's not worth it.

TNA has done a really good job of blurring the lines of reality and wrestling storylines within this past year. So I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other come BFG and afterwards.

7. hangers says:

Hogan needs to learn how to be more of a team player and less of an egomaniac.. The man lost his sense of reality a long time ago..

8. Ultimate_X says:

very true point abot the HOF, next year they should induct one or two guys/girls not in tna anymore, or retired, and wait until currently active wrestlers are retired/gone to induct them, i agree sting and kurt are must haves, especially before wwe put them in, but from here it should be done as aj said! id personally love to see someone like raven next year, think of him what you may, but he had put in a huge contribution to tna both as a wrestler and with creative ideas!

9. mthomashoover says:

Wow. What a breath of fresh air! If AJ's comments don't mean anything to you, you're just not a smart human being. This man, next to only Jeff Jarrett, IS TNA. I absolutely loved that he's basically saying that Hogan is a waste of money because we don't use him right and that the problems in TNA start with the leadership at the top.

Kudos to him for having the balls to say it on the record! He's got nothing to lose – what are they going to do, fire him? Keep ringing the bell, AJ.

10. THISISASHOOT247 says:

Tna needs to work on grooming new talent in developmental. I mean, what’s gonna happen when daniels, aj, storm, etc. can’t go anymore? My point is they aren’t prepared for that. But wwe is! They’re nxt roster and show in itself is better than impact.