Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Oct 21, 2013
Alex Shelley Provides An Injury Update – Details

Alex Shelley Provides An Injury Update – Details

Former TNA Impact Wrestling star Alex Shelley detailed his injuries leading up to a visit to the doctor where he awaited information on whether or not he should step away from the world of professional wrestling. The following is a summary of tweets Shelley posted on his official Twitter account.

September 2012, my first @njpw1972 tour. 4 broken front teeth via rabbit clothesline from Rocky Romero. I could hear my teeth “Ping!” when they hit the guard rail and spit chunks out as I finished the match. Later, I could smell the burning and taste the dust when they ground down the shards to bond them when I went back to Detroit after the tour.

April 2013, partially paralyzed vocal cord via Prince Devitt lariat. Had to change some of the songs at band practice and now I sound like a full time smoker. Not counting the damage from the brutal dropkicks to the face.

June 2013, slightly fractured skull via Plancha from Taka Michinoku. Spinal fluid actually leaked out my nose for a week after and I had I idea of the severity until I went to the doctor weeks later. Wrestled again that night against Devitt in a dream come true.

Finally, September 2013, severe sciatica via Liger Bomb from @taichi0319. Bad enough injury that I had to let a bunch of people down and forego my chance to become a 3 time IWGP Jr. Tag Champion. Had a hard time walking, couldn’t workout, and totally rethought my life.

I don’t consider myself tough, persay. I just really love wrestling. And @njpw1972 is wrestling. I was “orphaned”, by my choice, and NJPW gave me a home. So while I waited in the doc’s office, I really thought that 2012-2013 was my favorite year of my career. I grew the most as a wrestler, I (hopefully) won over @njpw1972 fans and proved to everyone I could adapt and learn and go in the ring. This was the first time I thought “Maybe I need to get out.” So, understandably, I was pretty scared when I went in again last week. But nope. I am supposed to continue wrestling, I think. Cleared to lift weights, burnout on cardio, and should make a full recovery. :)

Fans can follow Alex Shelley on Twitter @fakekinkade.

7 Responses to “Alex Shelley Provides An Injury Update – Details”

1. Get_Carter says:

And people say that wrestling is "fake" and "people don't really get hurt". It's amazing to hear what these athletes go through sometimes just to keep fans entertained. Wishing Alex Shelley the best! I hope he can continue wrestling.

• tna24 says:

not to bash what your saying, but somethings they do are fake though. but the injures are real for the most part. they do fake some injures. but these guys beat up their bodies just to plz us fans. i respect them people who do still think it fake need to live there life for a month and see if they make it out not beat up and sore

• Mr. Excitement says:

It's fake but anything can happen. Like in acting. It's all scripted but accidents/deaths do occur.

• Get_Carter says:

I respect what you're saying. The moves wrestlers do are designed to look painful but designed to be as safe as possible. These guys definitely beat their bodies up for our entertainment. There have been a few improvements such as restricting unprotected chair shots to the head and additional padding around the ring. Still, injuries will and do happen. I respect everyone that gets in the ring and risks their well-being to keep us entertained.

• tnadude says:

Real v fake is always a controversial topic on these forums. So I'll avoid that. Instead, I'll refer to "working soft".

Hogan is a prime example of what can happen regardless of how soft one works. His back surgeries were primarily caused by the worst finisher in wrestling history (come on guys – I grew up a Hulkamaniac, but even as a kid I couldn't understand how that thing could possibly hurt somebody). In reality, it finished HIS career. If you think about it, all he had to do was change the move and he'd probably still be wrestling…

2. Cezar_TheScribe says:

Wrestling is much more real than a movie, play, and so on.

3. Cezar_TheScribe says:

Will Alex come back to TNA and reform the Motor City Machine Guns?