Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Aug 22, 2013
Backstage Update – AJ Styles’ TNA Contract

Backstage Update – AJ Styles’ TNA Contract

Partial Source: Pwinsider.com

As noted earlier today, there is a rumor circulating that AJ Styles could potentially be leaving TNA iMPACT! Wrestling in the near future. The rumor stems from the fact that Styles’ contract with the company is set to expire next month.

Normally, especially in WWE, high-profile talents are re-signed to new deals before the expiration of their existing contracts. There have been cases in the past where TNA has allowed a top stars’ contract to expire before attempting to lock them up in a new deal. Examples of that situation include Bobby Roode, Devon, and most notably, Samoa Joe.

What is interesting in this case is the fact that AJ Styles, more than pretty much anyone in the company, is viewed as a “TNA guy.” Having worked for the company since its’ inception in 2002, Styles has remained loyal to the company, despite past offers from WWE and other high-dollar offers around the globe.

It’s also interesting to note that TNA has allegedly put forth very little effort into locking Styles up into a new deal. In doing so, the company is putting itself in a position that would potentially allow WWE to enter the picture and scoop up Styles before TNA finalizes a new agreement.

As we reported earlier today, a post appeared on the official Facebook page of Styles, which poses the question, “Where do fans want AJ Styles to be? TNA? WWE? ROH? Japan? Lots of options. Tough decisions.”

We will post an update on this situation as soon as more information becomes available.

37 Responses to “Backstage Update – AJ Styles’ TNA Contract”

1. showtime says:

Well….that’s a buzz kill! I really have not worried much about all of the budget cuts as i view it as a good opportunity to sign new talent, but AJ….hes the face of TNA so if hes out then im concerned about the future of the company. Not good!!

2. TNAbitw says:

PLEEEEEASE KEEP AJ TNA! he's one of the only superstars that are still with tna who were there at the start and havent jumped ship to WWE *cough* Alex Shelley *cough*

3. IMPACT Dude says:

Dixie wouldn't let That happen … hopefully

4. Sturk says:

It's not all about what TNA wants, its about what AJ himself wants.

• WARISNAUGHTY says:

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. I kid, AJ Styles character is one of the only reasons I'm tuning in currently.

• OldManEaston says:

It is time for AJ Styles to do what is right for AJ Styles and his family. AJ has done what is right for TNA for too long with little reward. If he goes to the WWE and makes mid six figures then good for AJ. There is no reason why a guy of his caliber should be stuck making what some lower midcard wrestlers make in WWE.

5. RavenNevermore says:

So you spit in Joe. Magnus. Kazarian .Daniels. Roode. Aries. Sabin ETC? There is more to impact than Styles. I enjoy Styles. But just saying….

6. Mr. Excitement says:

TNA needs to learn. Never leave things for the last second.

7. purpleurkel says:

Negotiation posturing. He will re-sign

8. TheBringer92 says:

Id like to see him in TNA but wouldnt mind to see him in WWE but I hope he gets used properly

9. Dante_Cross says:

I would like to see WWE at least make an offer. It will show that they actually are interested in TNA talent though they say they aren't. Not to say I wan't AJ to leave because I want him to win the belt and be the top guy again.

• Mr. Excitement says:

I remember at one point HHH was interested in Roode and Storm when they were Beer Money. But Roode signed extension.

• Bigmike885 says:

its not like the pretend that TNA doesn't exist..they just claim to not see them as a threat, or to have anyone they "need"..which is true..but its not as if they wouldn't sign talent if it was available..

• JoeWrestling says:

WWE lies anyway. They also said ECW was garbage yet, seeing their show it looks like they copied them for 10 years. WWE has copied many things from TNA. So even if Vince or HHH don't watch TNA or say it's irrelevant, their writers or personnel are watching and copying just by the basis it's hard to come up with material for a couple hundred shows a year. Plus, the best way to stop a company from growing is to copy them, so then they can never catch on as new and unique because everything they do will be on the larger show anyway. Politicians do this all the time. Just adopt the exact same views as your opponent on most issues, then it will just be a personal popularity contest.

10. iamanadult says:

If AJ leaves TNA then I won't watch. The wrestling channel in the UK showcased AJ heavily in tna roh and fwa. Since the Nashville days AJ is the one guy in all of wrestling that I actually watch every match. the whole. way. through.

WWE is enjoyable now with the Wyatts, Bryan, Punk, Ziggler, Usos, Fandango, the shield, aj lee… if Aj Styles' there and just as much of a star as bryan and punk i think wwe will be booming again. Trouble is I can imagine AJ being another matt sydel

• OldManEaston says:

AJ is a much better worker than Matt Sydal though, always has been. That is not to say Matt Sydal isn't a good worker in his own right, but was never the type of guy that TNA could have ever built their promotion around, like TNA did with Styles for a while. Sydal is a great flyer, but he lacked the total package of overall technical ability, athleticism and surprising power that AJ has exhibited throughout his career. So in that regard, if he were to go to WWE, I can't see him being cast in the same role. I think at his age, what AJ could probably realistically expect in WWE is being a guy who hovered right at the uppermidcard level (US and IC titles and the like), and maybe briefly earning one transitional ME run in a year or two after signing, provided he stayed healthy and didn't run afoul of any backstage politics.

• Bigmike885 says:

I actually have to disagree with you for 2 reasons…CM punk and Danial Bryan. They had a HUGE following on the indies..and that got them over..AJ is more over than Bryan and Punk ever where before coming to WWE..Only thing he lacks is the mic skills..that might hurt his chances..but it could work..

• OldManEaston says:

At his age though, I am not sure that WWE would be willing to build him up to a legit main event spot, which would probably take about 2-3 years (which would put him around 38-39), when they have younger guys like Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Ambrose, Black etc, who can fill that role. Contrary to what a lot of people on this site seem to think, I believe AJ would fit very well in WWE and I believe it is absolutely ridiculous that they would sabbotage him intentionally. We don't know exactly what AJ makes in TNA, but it is probably in the 250-350K range (That is what I have heard), and he could probably expect double that with WWE. There is no way they sign him for that type of money and then bury him intentionally. I think he would probably have some very good programs in WWE. One I would be legitimately interested in is with CM Punk (given their legitimate heat). I just don't just personally believe that AJ has the time to ever really fully reach the true top tier in WWE. "Jobber to the Stars" absolutely, I have no doubt he'd be great in that role, furthering the pushes of other top talent they have who would match up well with him. I think he if reached the level of someone like Curt Henn ig, that it would be probably ideal.

11. whatsup121 says:

WWE seems like the company that if they could snatch someone like AJ Styles they would get him. Pay him what he wants , ground him (make him do little or no matches) just to screw with TNA

• OldManEaston says:

I don't believe so and I will tell you why. TNA is not WCW, TNA is not a threat to WWE and didn't spend weeks on weeks beating WWE in the ratings and stealing their top stars. Let's also be realistic about AJ Styles,. If AJ were to go to WWE (not saying he is), then he would have to earn his stripes like everyone else. He would not be coming in with a big reputation, like guys like Scott Steiner, DDP etc. AJ would basically be a guy with a little bit of name value, but not a big fish. Thus, there is virtually no reason for WWE to sabotage their own signing to stick it to TNA.

It is also a new day in WWE. While that company is still heavily driven to a certain degree by taking blank slates and then creating characters and then branding them WWE, there is a lot more leeway now for guys who are coming in with already established styles and names. Ten years ago, we would have never seen guys like Daniel Bryan and CM Punk come in with small cult-like followings and be elevated to big stars in the company. That is just not the way WWE did business back then. Instead you got guys like Cena, Randy Orton or Batista etc who WWE could mold into whatever they wanted. This was pretty much top to bottom WWE, with the exception of the holdovers like Jericho, Benoit, Austin, RVD etc, who WWE needed at one time to bolster their depleted roster. It is not so much that way anymore. WWE seems to have learned a lot from their association with ROH, that is ok to bring in some of these guys and it doesn't damage the WWE system, just enhances it. For a while, this sort of thing was almost verboten in WWE. If you weren't a holdover, or WWE manufactured, you were nobody.

• whatsup121 says:

Did you even read my post Vince McMahon is the kind of guy that will buy someone , and not do anything with them if he felt he could screw somebody else over. Look @ Bret Hart how much did vinny Mac pay Bret hart for that one return match , now Bret hart likes the guy.Sent from my iPhone

• OldManEaston says:

I think I answered why I believe he would not simply sign a guy like AJ Styles and not use him (as you say), just to spite TNA. Did you read my post…at all? You can agree or disagree with what I said, but I covered everything that you originally wrote.

• Bigmike885 says:

he replied to you just fine…There's no need to "screw" TNA (they're doing a fine job screwing themselves)..Vince wouldn't spend money on someone he could actually make money on (not saying he'd book AJ right, but he wouldn't just bury him). Theres a groundwell going on right now in WWE that is running tward real wrestlers wrestling…styles would fit that mold (besides..have you seen his matches with punk in ROH?)…Styles could make Vince a lot of money..and if Vince gets him..he'll milk him

• JoeWrestling says:

I know why. It's cause AJ Styles doesn't draw any money for TNA, so why would they get him to screw with TNA?

12. BK_Decker says:

I have feeling that the time is now for Panda Energy to step up and start investing heavily in TNA or for TNA to find a new and committed investor. If AJ wants to leave to do other things fair enough, but if its down to money TNA needs that financial support to secure their top talent.

I know TNA needs to stand on their own feet, but TNA have move on to the road full time and trying improve the product, but needs a investor to invest and not just chump change, but major money to stabilities and help the company to continue growing. And I think Panda Energy couldn't care if TNA floats or croaks.

Lastly TNA seriously could with a TV network that's going to show them off and get people to tune in and not use TNA as a stepping stone for other shows, they deserve better than that.

Wrestling maybe a "dying industry" as mainstream entertainment business, but there is still market for it and should be supported.

• Bigmike885 says:

youre last sentence answered your own questions…Are there any real investors left? Obvously Panda doesn't want to brunt the financial burden..and really..the only wrestling game most TV stations want is WWE (they might not advertise them well, but Spike might be as good as it gets for TNA).

• JoeWrestling says:

I'm pretty sure TNA is Panda Energy. Talking about the owners as if they are separate from the product is odd. Is it time for your car to leave you and find new investors if you are not keeping up the maintenance schedule? It's their car, they can total it or sell it for scrap. It's up to them, not the audience. If you like the show, why not support some of the decisions. If you don't like it, try watching another product. Go watch ROH, I'm sure you will find Sinclair pouring money in like you suggest. In other words, there are no other investors or TV networks interested in Pro Wrestling. So that's exactly why your time is better spent supporting TNA and Spike who have at least shown some interest, cause that's exactly the problem is that the audience isn't increasing. It's a business, if the product isn't in demand and you can make a product that is in demand, then you dump it.

• BK_Decker says:

I honestly thought TNA and Panda Energy were separate in a internal sense, that Panda funnels money to TNA when and as need and that's it. If I am wrong in that fact then I'm wrong, the real point I'm trying to make that "I think" that Panda should help TNA to secure their top talent, like AJ Styles if its down to money issues and help TNA a little more.

I have supported & watched TNA for over 8 years and I will continue to do so and I honestly care about the company, what I put on here maybe wrong but that just my opinion that's it

13. BK_Decker says:

If Panda didn't want that financial burden they should have pulled out back in 2005 / 06, before TNA got to this level – I hate the fact TNA has gone from the Nashville days to now and grown to this extent to potentially have carpet pulled from underneath them now, because their parent company Panda doesn't like X Y Z $ being spent…its BS to be honest.

Are there investors left, I don't know, but that apart of TNA or Panda to find them or finding more sponsors to boost them.

• Bigmike885 says:

no no no..Panda was sold on the idea that TNA would make money on its own…TNA is a product of WCW/WWE's success..the suits at Panda thought wrestling was a cash cow..which it is not..I've read that Panda was sold on TNA being self-suficant within a decade..thats obviously not the case..

• JoeWrestling says:

That doesn't make sense, how would they know in 2005 how the business plan in 2013 would turn out? The economy has been bad for many years, and MMA has been hogging up a lot of the market for this. Who said they were pulling out? You can't predict the future, but at the same time they should have done some of these budget cuts a long time ago, businesses have to make profits and the ship has to be tightened. You can't earn a salary like you're a mega star if you don't out draw a rookie. That's the bottom line. And TNA as a indy company is pointless because anybody can run some indy shows. If they aren't going to be a big show in Arenas, why bother? This same talent will be on the indy circuit mostly if they fold, what good is another flea market show or a iPPV company? And there's one simple question, would you take all of your savings and invest it in a wrestling company, and then be fine if they didn't tighten the budget and make profits?

• BK_Decker says:

No one could have know how things turned out, but that's just a little bit of hindsight and after the fact its stupid – I never said I was a smart fan. Where MMA is concerned never understood it and properly never will, I never said Panda was pulling out, I said they should have pulled back in 05 / 06 and again this was hindsight and after the fact thinking, which is always 20/20 vision.

The budget cuts and tightening of the ship I completely agree with and should have been done a lot earlier. Yes I would expect some profits, so that money can be invested back into the business to support the crew and talent. I am alright with TNA spending money stupidly and unwisely of course not, but what I think is stupid and unwise someone else thinks it brilliant and clever.

14. BK_Decker says:

I agree with on most TV stations wanting WWE, because of glamor of having WWE!, that's a real shame if Spike is the best TNA can get. Then there's not a lot can be done, but its a pity TNA doesn't shift focus away from the US and more towards the international markets where they are doing better, like UK and here (UK) TNA a better foothold…I know that brings the obvious question "how would they do that", I don't the answer to that but its just a idea from a fan.

When I said wrestling maybe a dying industry, I meant in the way that it was the general feeling among casual and hardcore fans because of ratings have going down across the board, but wrestling isn't a dying sport just look at the Indies cross the global its just as stable as ever, its because WWE & TNA have jumped around so much in direction and storylines and people cannot be bothered to watch and trying to get those same people back is hard to do and takes time take long term.

15. JoeWrestling says:

This is odd news. It's just seems that AJ's contract is coming up and he's playing up his options. Not sure how this turned into AJ is being budget cut by TNA. Why would anyone act like TNA is running him out or low balling him, when that's not the news report? I'm supposed to get on twitter and complain so AJ Styles can get more money on his next contract? I guess you can if you like.