Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Jan 31, 2013
Backstage Update On Why Taz Turned Heel

Backstage Update On Why Taz Turned Heel

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

TNA turned Taz heel for two reasons: to have a surprise person break up the wedding and to give Aces and 8s someone with strong mic skills.

Of course, the problem is that he cannot do anything physical due to his long-standing neck injury.

19 Responses to “Backstage Update On Why Taz Turned Heel”

1. andy3323 says:

Wow, thank goodness for that update, NO WAY I had already figured that out for myself…….. 😉

2. Philly_Cheese says:

Taz has and always will be a far better heel than face. Now he can go back to being the badass from brooklyn who will beat anyone down for no real particular reason. Not the mention Taz is fantastic on the mic.

• Bigmike885 says:

except he cant beat anybody down…he's broken down..this was stupid booking by TNA..lets face it..while taz was cool in ECW..because of injuries he's more known as an announcer, and TNA owns NONE of his footage from when he was a bad ass.

• pepsilover2008 says:

This was explained in his promo no one can touch him and he won't touch anyone, but he can distract people like he did to hardy and be a mouth piece

3. soyfenomenal says:

Lol strong mic skills my ass.

• Matt Hardy says:

Well compared to GB, WB and even Devon who never was the good talker of the Dudleys….

They should have just went ahead and revealed him as the leader. It would be no less underwhelming than when they reveal Eric Bischoff. It's me Hogan. It was me all along.

4. UCEAD11 says:

I was almost expecting this one. Thats why it did not surprise me. He is the first to join a faction. He did it awhile back.

5. Treck says:

I thought the main reason was so they had one heel out of the three commentators. I think with three faces calling matches is a clusterfuck so I like this change.

6. duong8a8 says:

And it's also awesome to have both face and heel commentators

• purpleurkel says:

True. Bobby Heenan perfected it back in the day, now it's awkward without it.

• Matt Hardy says:

Totally different scenarios. It is the Bobby Heenan vs the Mitchell Cole school. Bobby Heenan made a great heel commentator because he was a great heel, who made you believe he was actually invested in the outcome. With Taz and Cole it is "I cheer for the bad guys, because that is my job." Taz is still the same goofy Peter Senercia he was in WWE and has been in TNA all along. Maybe if he actually announced like the old character Taz, it would be something special. Problem is, Taz doesn't seem to exist anymore. He has either forgotten how to be Taz, or is just to comfortable being the bumbling guy with the Brooklyn accent. Might as well have Vince Russo on commentary. He would actually get more heat as people legitimately hate his guts and want him to die.

• Bigmike885 says:

i agree with you man…Heenan was a leauge of his own..he didnt come off as forced as he was naturally snarky..I've only seen one guy who could even come close to touching him as the "heelish announcer" and that was Paul Haymen..because that's how he naturally is..he believed what he was saying..Cole, Tazz and countless others have tried but it comes off as to forced. Cole wasnt to bad as i compeltly see him as a pertentious ass in real life, but he's just so annoying that it didnt work…Also, when Heenan was working RINGSIDE he wasnt managing anyone..so it didnt effect stories..did he back people..sure, but he wasnt in their corner. When he was in whoevers corener, he wasnt on announcing..

7. ToledoDavid says:

Part of the fun of having a commentator as a heel, is when he shoots off his big mouth, there can be retribution…the bad part is, Taz can't be on the receiving end of it…so it was a bad choice, no one can kick his…

• Bigmike885 says:

bingo..thats why its bad booking..he can never get his comeupings.he's going to basically be the mouthpeice and face of the group (until the leader is revelead..whenever that may be)..and nothing can happen to him at all..I doubt he'll dress up in a weasle suit…

8. MRPC says:

As a side note to Aces & Eights I see people complaining on other forums and youtube that they now have too many members.

My answer would be how many Aces are in a pack of cards? Then add the eights for your total numbers.

I think that there could be two groups within the gang. The 'Aces' (your main guys like Anderson) and the 'Eights' (D.O.C, Knox etc…).

As for the 'Higher Power' I'm guessing that Easy E may be too obvious but who knows?

9. Real Deal Heel says:

LOL..I like how they paint Taz as "broken down"…yet his "crippled" ass could kick the shit out of 99% of the IWC and a few wrestlers. I like that Taz is heel tho, as he's best at that by far.

I'd like to see Mike Tenay have the balls to talk shit to anyone without getting his Dollar Tree bowtie twisted in a knot. Damn.