Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Dec 10, 2012
Backstage Update – Sting To WWE?, Details

Backstage Update – Sting To WWE?, Details

There has been speculation that WWE has been pursuing Sting for the WWE Hall of Fame and even a possible match at WrestleMania XXIX. This was due to Triple H recently mentioning him in interviews, mentioning Sting more often than usual and the fact that Sting’s yearly TNA deal ends at the end of 2012. According to a source in the writing team, there is no truth to the rumors that he is coming in. A source stated the following…

“The current TNA lawsuit has everything frozen for the moment. WWE will not even internally discuss Sting. That just won’t happen. Until this lawsuit settles, finishes or is dismissed, there’s no way any discussion about Sting is going to happen. His name has never come up, and I can practically guarantee you that it won’t.”

The source also added the following…

“The idea of Sting vs. Undertaker, Sting vs. Punk, or Sting vs. Cena was something a lot of the young writers were dreaming about until a senior member reminded them there’s not a chance of it happening this year.”

12 Responses to “Backstage Update – Sting To WWE?, Details”

1. Dante_Cross says:

I Just thought of how, if you haven't been watching TNA, you would be taken aback by Sting's character change since WCW. That is, unless they change him back to his WCW Sting type character, which I doubt Sting would go for.

• 1985dude says:

well they temporarily did a couple of years ago for like one episode of Impact. I remember it was during the early part of Hogan and Bischoff first arriving. They panned up to the rafters and showed sting sitting up there with his crow makeup on looking down at Hogan and Bischoff.

2. Nova_numb says:

I know everyone is going to jump all over this statement, but I think TNA made a brilliant move with this lawsuit. Everyone has screamed oh it is such a stupid suit and they are never going to win anything out of it. Well they are winning if you think about it. As long as they can keep this lawsuit going, the WWE isn't about to try to sign anyone from TNA. So anyone whose contract comes up and they want to leave. They really can't unless they are willing to go to Japan or work the Indy circuit. TNA has effectively shut the doors on WWE raiding them for talent at least for now. I think it is a pretty smart move now that you think about it on a bigger scale. Sting might eventually go to the WWE and do that final match there which honestly should be against someone besides Taker…After watching his last match I think it is pretty evident that UT should just stay home and enjoy his pretty wife. Anyway Sting leaving isn't going to be a huge loss since he isn't there much but in certain spurts. Keeping them away from the younger talent is a big one though.

3. FazeYNWA says:

I actually want Sting to go to the WWE.
    He is my favourite wrestler and in recent years his reputation has gone down in some fans eyes and i think him having one last big time moment will give him the credit he truly deserves.
    And no he carnt have a big time moment at BFG compared to Wrestlemania. BFG is not as big a wrestlemania even though im 100% TNA.
    Have that long awaited fued with the Undertaker bring back his dark crow gimmick, Starcade 97! BUT i seriously wouldnt want Sting to go to the wwe to lose though.

It is possible to have him as Surfer sting and would be interesting to see him like that.
    In Tna would be quite good and in WWE could fued with Cena etc.

4. ariesstormjoe says:

sting has said in interviews in the past. he'd most like to face magnus in tna and undertaker in wwe.

if he does go wwe tho. wwe are definitely screwing him over in a way.

5. dcxboxx says:

i would love to see sting in wwe. maybe have him face cena or cm punk or the rock at mania. then summerslam vs the undertaker only for taker to want a rematch the following mania, then taker wins the rematch only for sting to win the 3rd match at suvivor series in some sort of gimmick match.

6. tnadude says:

The only way Sting goes to WWE is to beat 'Taker at WM and end his streak. I'd guess 'Taker would allow it since he wanted to end the streak a while back anyway.

Sting v. anyone else = loss. Why would he want to make the switch now, just to be a jobber? McMahon isn't going to put him over as a 50+ year old champion. So he ain't gonna beat Cena, and he ain't gonna beat Punk, Orton, or whoever else they have over there. Of course, one can dream…

It also seems like he'd have to carry 'Taker through the match. So I don't think he'd do that unless he's 100% sure he's retiring.

• DarkNexxus says:

I disagree. I don't think Sting would beat the undertaker, nor do I think the Undertaker would beat Sting. Both are considered icons for their respective companies. Even with Sting in WWE, a loss would be a slap in the face to the fans that have followed him for years. He wouldn't allow that. Sting beating Undertaker? To what end, to end his career, even as Sting's is winding down? Steve wrestles a very light schedule as it is. WWE wouldn't make any money off him going forward, so why give him the win?

Undertaker winning? Maybe, if he plans to keep wrestling. It'd be bill icon vs icon or something similar, I'm sure. That would line up his successor for the following year. Taker would have defeated legends, top stars, old rivals etc and kept a perfect winning record. As I said before, Sting wouldn't go along with this scenario. At least in my opinion.

What I do see happening is both counted out. Nobody loses, nobody wins, it's a dream match with neither side able to secure the win. yet, neither would take a loss. The 'streak' would be still be intact, since he didn't lose. Sting wouldn't lose, so his fans wouldn't feel slighted, you'd have two old warriors so evenly matched, that they wore each other out. It'd probably be one of the higher grossing PPVs as well since it would draw both current and older fans.

Doubt we'll see it though. Very few have avoided going to WWE, Sting is one of the most notable.It'd be a great payday for him, but I can't see WWE leaving it there. They'd want him to wrestle more, show up places, etc which means a more demanding schedule, something that he has stated he's against since the fall of WCW.

7. soyfenomenal says:

If Sting were to beat Undertaker or Cena at Wrestlemania…I'd die happy. But anything less is that shit hole is not worth his time.

8. Sammartino1 says:

How many times do we have to go thru this? Sting will never go to WWE

9. ToledoDavid says:

Here we go again…

10. DigestivBiscuit says:

Please stop with this B U L L S H I T we don't want the: Sting to WWE rumours.
    Things are going great in TNA right now lets keep it that way, post something else. Coz this argument is getting old and we don't want it.