Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Jul 9, 2013
Breaking News: Matt Morgan Gone From TNA

Breaking News: Matt Morgan Gone From TNA

Source: Prowrestling.net

Matt Morgan’s six-year tenure with TNA Wrestling has come to an end as he was granted his release from the organization on Tuesday. He requested his release from the company one month ago, which was well known among his colleagues.

Morgan was excluded from the annual Bound for Glory Series and had only appeared on television once in the last month—losing a Four-way Bound for Glory Series Qualifying Match to Magnus on the June 13 episode of iMPACT! Wrestling.

On the April 25 episode of iMPACT! Wrestling, Morgan confronted Hulk Hogan and offered his services to take out the Aces and Eights, in exchange for being named the number one contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship at Slammiversary. After having his request denied, Morgan faced Sting the following week in a Number One Contender’s Match for the World Heavyweight Championship, which Sting won after locking Morgan in the Scorpion Deathlock. Morgan subsequently disappeared from television before returning for the Bound for Glory Series Qualifying Match.

Despite repeated vows to capture the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, Morgan’s plan ultimately did not come to fruition. His lone runs with gold were two TNA World Tag Team Championship reigns. He stated in an interview last year of his desire to become World Champion, “Winning the Tag Team Championship is ultra-important and anyone who has those titles should have a lot of pride in wearing them. But at the same time, I got into the pro-wrestling for one reason and that’s to be the top dog and to be the World Champion. I know it sounds like a saying or a catch-phrase but this is what I truly believe. I came out of my mom’s womb a future world’s champion. And I’m sick of waiting.”

More as we get it.

86 Responses to “Breaking News: Matt Morgan Gone From TNA”

1. stevontte1 says:

If it is they haven't taken his bio down from the roster site.

2. Roid Master says:

Does this mean he has to give back the robe?

3. tnafan05 says:

Ok let morgan go resign crimson cheaper better option for me all day long anyone agree?

• Tiffanydude says:

Crimson just left because they couldn't pay him
      Before Matt Morgan left Crimson: $0
      After: $0

• JoeWrestling says:

Yeah and WWE just let Striker go because they couldn't pay him, they are going out of business. Good analysis. TNA wanting someone on the roster or not has nothing to do with money, as you can see they have plenty of money for who they want. As you notice Crimson was taken off the roster a long time ago and moved to OVW. So logically explain to me how he was removed for money if he was paid all that time in OVW?

4. nicholal79 says:

TNA wasted an opportunity when they chose Sting to instead of Matt for the Slammiversary title match!

• TROOF says:

Come on. Heel vs Heel wouldn't work. The Sting option was the best. It led to him being out of the title picture permanently and has led to the creation of the MEM where guys like Joe and especially Magnus are looking great from the rub. The Sting decision was the best one. If anything, Morgan needed to go against a strong babyface since he was a heel.

• jbcissom says:

Some people don't get how a story should be told. They just want to gripe, nag, and complain about any and everything.

• jflegler says:

Heel versus heel COULD work if the story is done properly – breaking traditions is what TNA should be doing in order to distinguish themselves from the WWE.

Personally, TNA should have went with the "right Hogan's wrongs" storyline only to have one wrong left uncorrected – Bully Ray. Bully Ray to beat Morgan at Slammiversary, thus forming a group of rebels far more interesting than MEM, the new Outsiders if you will – Morgan, AJ Styles, Jay Bradley, and perhaps Doc once he disbands from Aces and Eights.

The new MEM has this cheesy feel to it that I am not liking – as cool as creative is trying to make Magnus (his mic skills look good as of late), he is not a great addition to the MEM (personally, I think that he is an average wrestler with a limited move set). TNA needs conflict between factions, more than one ongoing storyline to catch the attention of the intellectual fans, and a new groups that will shake up TNA and rid us of the boring A&8 storyline.

• Philly_Cheese says:

Seriously? Who says heel vs heel doesn't work? Do I need to go over some of the best matches in history that were heel vs heel? Aries vs Roode for example… How about Taker vs Big Boss Man?

• JoeWrestling says:

They were trying to sell PPV's. You think Morgan vs Bully Ray was a PPV draw. Some opportunity they missed.

5. Luis says:

I guess he just doesn’t like being told what to do and getting paid for it unless he joins Aces n Eights

6. Mr. Excitement says:

Not a big loss.
    Morgan has the look but lacks mic skills.

7. RavenNevermore says:

This could be an aces and eights ploy. I hope not because I think he is overrated. He can go to the wwe where the hypocrites who called him a wwe reject can say tna is now doomed as he will be another “outspoken” www guy who the iwc will be all huge fans of.

• Bigmike885 says:

I also hope not because they did this before..if morgan "leaves" and comes back it'll be a complete joke

8. 02Roadking says:

Very disappointing. Should have included him in MEM – TNA blew it bigtime.

• JoeWrestling says:

Why in the world would anyone in MEM want to include Morgan? They are picking people they trust to have their back. You're going to say Morgan is a trust worthy guy, as he parades around in Hogan's stolen property.

9. tna24 says:

damn Morgan was the best. sucks he gone now. damn people i like are all leaving, york, crimson and now morgan

10. TROOF says:

I like Morgan but he really didn't do anything that warranted why he should be a world champion or main eventer. He was given the ball plenty of times and didn't really do anything with it. I can't think of any interesting feud that Morgan ever had. His feud with Abyss, Hernandez, Steiner, and Crimson all sucked. He never took it to the next level. Sure TNA missed opportunities with him like putting him in Aces & Eights but at the same time, Morgan just didnt have something. Morgan's story felt like he thought that it was a given that he should be catapulted to world title based on his size when he wasn't proving why. Guys like Roode/Storm/Aries/Bully all proved themselves while Morgan did nothing to impress.

• AussieWrestling says:

Exactly what I was about to say.

• jflegler says:

By "given the ball", do you mean his feuds with Hernandez, Abyss, Steiner, and Crimson? I sure hope not. Nonetheless, the feuds with Abyss and Hernandez weren't THAT bad.

His mic skills weren't great, but they weren't "Briscoe-bad" or "Sabin-sad" either. He was underutilized and his character was not developed properly – he should have NEVER been a face to begin with.

11. TwIsTeD_EnEmY says:

When Matt Morgan " resigned" with TNA like what, six months ago, I actually thought that they had a decent plan for him, as i thought for sure that he wouldn't resign with TNA unless they pushed him big.
    I've been waiting and waiting to see what that plan was and then they just release him ?
    What is going on in TNA at the moment ?

• Philly_Cheese says:

The same thing that's always gone on in TNA, somebody liked him and saw potential, and someone else didn't. People in creative and in management not being on the same page has ALWAYS been an issue in TNA.

12. piro4351 says:

lol..TNA going down the WCW route rather quickly now..but Panda energy has so much cash its fucking ridiculous. ''bottomless pit'' that is TNA would describe it–

• JoeWrestling says:

How is it a bottomless pit if they are cutting costs and people they aren't using. WWE is more like WCW with 3 hour shows and massive roster. You are just saying it's WCW route to say they are going out of business or something. I don't see how it's WCW, TNA's fan base is about the same as it's always been, just some slight variations up and down. It's more like a niche like ECW, where it has a base but can't really catch on. ECW was broken by PPV/TV costs and a increasingly irrelevant roster, with a number of expensive contracts they couldn't afford to pay since they had to compete with salaries with the other promotions.

• Bigmike885 says:

you do know all those "expensive contracts they couldn't afford to pay since they had o compete with salaries with other promotions" all still were honered and paid right? Theres a reason guys like Hogan, Nash, Flair, Steiner ect. were not part of the WCW "invasion"..they all had gaurenteed contracts paid by time warner. They got paid to sit around and do nothing. Guys like DDP and Booker took a buy out so they could be part of the invasion storyline (oops).

• Pippin0490 says:

He was talking about ECW, this should have been clear seeing as you quoted half of the sentance that started with "ECW". (oops)

• Bigmike885 says:

you're right..i read the 1st part of his comment and just glazed over ecw, my bad (by the way..the oops was twards the wrestlers who left their gaurenteed money for the awesomingly bad invasion story..not twards this dudes comment)

• Pippin0490 says:

Oops, this time I made the mistake! lol.

Easy mistake to make, dear chap, though what you said was true and is relevent what with the comments some are making on here about TNA/WCW comparisons based on TNA's reported pay issues.

13. Dennis D says:

This is all “smoke & mirrors” to me until I see him walk down a WWE ramp. I mean, haven’t we seen this happen before? It’s well known that TNA creative likes to “leak” info like this then use it as a curveball. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if all these “releases” return together as a group of “rebels” and attack MEM after the A&8’s get destroyed.

• jflegler says:

Honestly, your comment makes the most sense to me.

• JoeWrestling says:

Anythings possible. But this kind of thinking never seems to work out for TNA. Since all the "internet fans" actually believe everything to be real, then instead of the heat being on the wrestlers in the angle they get mad and blame the company for the angle. We've seen it time and time again. TNA unfortunately need to stop trying to make people think things are real because they believe it then hate TNA. Just make a blatantly fake show, then people might enjoy it I guess. People just can't handle these storylines. It's like, I hate TNA cause they fired my favorite wrestler or TNA must be going out of business. Then it's, oh it's an angle, they are actually using the wrestler I like.. oh well, not interested if they are just staying in business and putting on a show. How many times can you watch Joey Ryan oil up, or Matt Morgan do his kick Sheamus stole. Time to move on.

14. andy3323 says:

He just never really showed that 'fire' or 'rage' that a guy his size could have used to make him appear as someone you didn't want to get near in the ring. I was pulling for him to have it all 'click' but it just didn't happen. Hope he finds employment somewhere since they said he and his wife are expecting.

15. cnote says:

This just in Morgan is going to be part of WWE Wyatt Family!

16. lowridinAllDay says:

Hopefully Morgan goes to WWE….hes wasting his time at TNA….let’s face it….people who watch TNA…are trollsaand hamsters….such as soyofnoenemal,peckar,bigmike885,tiffany dude, etc….these are loyal fans….loyalttrolls to this site….

• jbcissom says:

Wha….. disregarding the typos in your post (because I understand that today's youth don't pay attention to their elementary teachers when they are teaching them spelling and grammar) you just called out arguably the biggest critics of TNA on this site. So what point were you trying to make?

• soyfenomenal says:

Whose fucking name are you looking at when you spell it like that?

17. DiamondChampion says:

One thing about TNA is that everything evolves around telling the story. Thats a good thing and a bad thing, because a good story can engage ppl to watch, but bad because it can leave some ppl out to dry if they dont fit in the story. So, Morgan was a heel, not with A&8s, too big for the x-division, and w/o a tag partner. He didnt fit anywhere within the current storyline. I like Morgan and I wish that TNA would individualize their storylines more from the main storyline, because it seems that every segment other than the tag titles and Gut Check has something to do with A&8s.

• OldManEaston says:

This is the problem with "gang war" story lines n general. TNA has basically been in this mode for I don't know…God what about 7 years now for the most part? You can't build a whole promotion around them for very long, because they don't create interlocking and overlapping storylines that get your talent over outside of the "war". A little bit is ok, but 7 years worth of musical chairs in relation to Planet Jarrett, The Christian Coalition, Team Angle, Main Event Mafia, TNA front line, World Elite, The Band, Immortal, Fourtune, Aces and Eights, MEM Redux and anyone else I have initially missed, is too F'ing much.

• Pippin0490 says:

Well The Christian Coalition, The Angle Alliance & The Band never really fell into the "gang war" category, They were just tag teams.

Counting the original MEM & Front line seperately is also unfair as this was one story that also included World Elite (who themselves weren't really "gang war") in the end. The same goes for the current Aces & Eights and MEM Part II.

Fortune didn't fall into the "gang war" category at first either and only became involved in that when they joined Immortal so they should also not be counted seperately.

I'm not entirely sure that Planet Jarrett/Jarrett's Army can be considered "gang war" either.

So to say the last 7 years have been "gang war" for "the most part" isn't entirely fair. Infact during the entire history of TNA the gang wars have been:

S.E.X – December 2002 to June 2003.

Main Event Mafia – October 2008 to October 2009.

Immortal – October 2010 to April 2012

Aces & Eights – June 2012 to present.

I would certainly say that the last 3 years have been "gang war" heavy though.

18. RavenNevermore says:

Excuse lowridinallday. The short bus is not around to take the kid places. Low ridin? Does that mean your are riding on the down low? Sounds like it to me.

19. ripwhoozwah1 says:

Morgan could have been such a great Monster but they just never used him that way. A true waste in my opinion. Hopefully this is just a work to give him time with his new baby, and after they get a face as champ they bring him back to stump a mud whole in him and have his much earned reign of terror.

20. OldManEaston says:

If Matt Morgan truly cares about being a world champion, and it isn't just a character gimmick, then his best bet would be to either return to Japan (If he hasn't burned his bridges) for being some what of a mercenary, or to go to ROH. I just don't see him being a top of the card guy in WWE or TNA. TNA blew it a little bit when Morgan first came in, but Morgan didn't help himself either. WWE might always have some interest in a guy of his stature who isn't a complete statue, but unless they got behind him and paired him up with someone like Paul Heyman, it probably wouldn't work either and he would probably get lost in the shuffle anyway with guys like the Wyatts debuting, Lesnar still being a part timer, and Mark Henry doing his last run, not to mention the Shield. That is why I say ROH. ROH could actually benefit from a few more guys who have some name value, even if Matt Morgan is not a huge name. They have some pretty good mouth pieces there including Steve Corino, Truth Martini and Archibald Peck from time to time, who can talk, which is probably Matt Morgan's biggest weakness as a guy who is near seven foot, but doesn't come off as a monster in his interviews.

21. hangers says:

Hmm, Morgan, Crimson and the recent younger talent, who's next? Personally I'd can Hogan, retire Sting, shelve the A&8's and get the strap on someone who draws…

• soyfenomenal says:

But who draws??

• Bigmike885 says:

you know its going to Hogan..and that terrifies me

• hangers says:

TNA had a lot more momentum when Roode and Aries held the HW title and has gone downhill since the focus turned to Bully and Sting. Look, I love Sting, he's an icon but his time has now passed, look at WWE, do the put the strap on Taker anymore? no, they work with the younger guys. I would have worked with those two and Morgan and Hardy at least for a start.

• Bigmike885 says:

problem is..Bully draws..well drew..until it got over saturated with ances and eights run ins…being revealed as the leader of the group was the worst thing for him

• hangers says:

I agree with that, still don't think I would have put the strap on him but I really dislike him as leader of A&8's, because I dislike the angle so much I'm disliking him as a result but I think he was a great heel and face prior to this current storyline…

22. purpleurkel says:

Trim the fat… let the dead weight go to wwe.

Do the wwe fanboys not see the irony? The TNA rejects will be pushed to the top in WWE.
    Thus proving…..TNA IS BETTER

• Bigmike885 says:

how do you figure…you do realize that WWE doesn't push anyone to the top unless they draw (or at least get a reaction)..name ONE TNA reject that WWE pushed to the top..and if you name Punk..you're a idiot..he was in TNA for 10 minutes..and he draws..

• jbcissom says:

I stopped watching WWE completely after Evolution and the ECW inception. It just got pathetic, period. And now WWE is ripping off TNA… which shows me that WWE is a little bit worried about TNA. With that said, I watched about an hour of this past RAW because of one entity… the Wyatt family. I've seen their promo videos on Youtube, and I like what I see. Hopefully, the WWE pushes this the right way, and it breathes life back into them (if you haven't seen it, think old school Undertaker).

• lowridinAllDay says:

Sir, you are a hamster…you truly are…do you play videos games by chance.? Have you had sexual intercourse with more that 2 women in your life? Am I touching a nerve? Ibet u sit on your lazy ass, play video games and eat potato chips on a daily basis….that sir, is a hamster

• jbcissom says:

Ok you little piece of sh!t… I'll bite. I've worked the past 15 years, the last 5 putting my wife through grad school so she could live her dream being in her chosen profession. I also have two kids by my wife, who is the woman I've dated since college and the only woman I've been with sexually (I can not only say that my wife has orgasmed more than I have, but I can also say I have no diseases and I don't have to wear rubbers). So f#ck off you little piss-ant.

• jflegler says:

Honestly, why bother?

Attention is what he/she wants since they lack it in their life outside of this cyber world.

• hangers says:

Just tell him/her to go fcuk themselves and move on. Not worth wasting time on trolls..

• Bigmike885 says:

whats that make you man? you try to pick fights with people on a wrestling message board..my guess is your mommy still makes your sandwiches with the crust cut off..I, nor any other of us "hamsters" have nothing to prove to you at all..

• CELL says:

Exactly which former tna star is on top of wwe right now? This is pure unsaturated tna fanboyism right here.

• jbcissom says:

Considering that VKM and HHH only push their people, what do you expect?

• Bigmike885 says:

that's what we're saying man.this guy claims that all released TNA guys are pushed to the moon in WWE..when in reality..its kind of the opposite..you come from WWE you're almost gaurenteed a main event spot in TNA…

• jbcissom says:

I get what you're saying, but take this into mind… and correct me if I'm wrong, but only two guys came from WWE and were thrust into the main event spotlight who weren't in it already in the WWE… Christian and Test. And you could say that Christian was on the cusp of the main event scene in WWE before he left. And test was used for a six man tag match… with Sting and Abyss.

And you can't used Matt Hardy, because he was the ECW champ *smh*.

Anderson…. WWE main eventer
            Hardy…. WWE main eventer
            Angle…. WWE main eventer
            Knux…. not a main eventer in WWE or TNA
            D.O.C. …. not a main eventer in WWE or TNA
            Chavo…. not a main eventer in WWE or TNA

• Bigmike885 says:

And I get what you're saying. I wasn't really arguing the point just the beginning comment was so blatantly wrong it wasn't even funnySent from my iPhone

• jbcissom says:

I just wanted to show everyone that says what you said, "If you come from the WWE, you're guaranteed a main event slot in TNA" isn't true.

• Bigmike885 says:

Fair enough. But tell me something. Name one guy who came from wwe who didn't get at least a high mid card push? No arguing just couriousSent from my iPhone

• jbcissom says:

If we're talking singles… Chavo.

• Bigmike885 says:

Check and mate. But to be fair. You could kind of tell they wanted to. Until the crowd told them otherwiseSent from my iPhone

• jbcissom says:

I remember reading on a dirt-sheet site that TNA was trying to create a great Latino tag-team similar to LAX. It's been several years now that WWE and TNA have seem to tried to garner a bigger Latino audience, and it just doesn't seem to work. WWE is still trying to put over Del Rio from what I saw this past week (I'm really digging this new Wyatt family gimmick), and it's pathetic to say the least. TNA tried to cash in on the Guerrerro (sp?) name, and it didn't make the tidal waves they were hoping.

Chavo is still a good worker, but any chance on him being an "it" guy sailed away when he did the "Kurt" character for VKM.

• Bigmike885 says:

Actually I think what killed him is when he became the Eddie close after his death. It was almost disrespectful. and people turned on him due to itSent from my iPhone

• jbcissom says:

I would say that was the beginning of the end. Him going… "white" and being Kurt was the final nail in the coffin.

• Bigmike885 says:

Not to be a stickler. But kerwin white happened before Eddies death. They stopped it when Eddie diedSent from my iPhone

• jbcissom says:

You're probably right. Like I said, I stopped paying attention after Evolution and VKM's ECW. I thought Kerwin or "Kurt" happened after Eddie's death. I think I got confused with when he was trying to best Eddie back in WWE with when he was trying to become Eddie. Or am I getting this confused as well?

23. TheFurnitureom says:

More contract money saved – although I'm curious as to why TNA never ran with him – attitude? green? lack of storyline? It does seem like they didn't want to push the button. But hey, not a big loss.

I hope he does go to the WWE – it may make him more humble, unlike of his previous work of using each company against each other to get a better contract.

24. shutupplz says:

Matt Morgan was boring as hell. TNA gave him multiple chances to run with the ball and he dropped it every time. He has a great upper body but his legs look like sticks.

25. annil8or4321 says: