Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Dec 12, 2012
Buff Bagwell Says He’s In Talks To Join TNA Wrestling

Buff Bagwell Says He’s In Talks To Join TNA Wrestling

Speaking to the Shining Wizards Podcast, Marcus Alexander “Buff” Bagwell reveals that he’s in talks with Eric Bischoff to join TNA Wrestling. Highlights from the interview (audio available at are as follows:

On his recent car accident: “My best friend Hamilton died from a drinking accident. So in the past year I have been doing much better with the drinking and the partying. After I found out how he died, I quit drinking. They say I had a seizure from the alcohol withdrawal. I said, “Dude, I drink maybe 2-3 beers a day.” And they go, “How long have you been drinking 3 or more beers a day?” I said “20 years.” They said “Marcus, 3 beers a day for a long time, it’s still a big deal when you come off cold turkey like that.” I have had one more withdrawal seizure, from coming off pain meds or whatever, years ago trying to clean my life up. When you have one, you see this thing called an aura. It’s a white little light. It’s a light that makes you think Jesus is coming. It’s that kind of light. It’s that brutal. And anyone listening that has seen the aura, its something that you never ever forget, you don’t mistake it for a glare or anything like that, you know what it is. It’s the scariest thing in the world. The aura gives an epileptic forty-five seconds to either pull their car over or lay down on the ground. There is no fixing it once you see the light. I was on the phone with my wife, and I said, “Oh my God, I just saw the aura’. She goes, “What? Pull over.” I had a big jacked up jeep at the time, and I pulled over. And from that point, its all a black out.”

Wrestling in Global (GWF) and being offered a contract: “Global to me back then was like WWF. It was that big to me. We were on TV. We were on ESPN in a great time slot, and we were told that we were gonna be the next company. The woman who owned the place painted it up all nice and got us air conditioning. The dressing rooms got redone, and “Hot Stuff” Eddie Gilbert was there, Lighting Kid, Harlem Heat, Patriot and Scotty Flamingo. They started giving out contracts. I was the 4th guy to get a contract, which I never got. It was $100,000 contract. When I was the fourth one in line, it was just over. They suddenly just pulled the plug. The next phone call, was like God did it. The phone rings and I pick it up, and the guy goes “This is Magnum.” I said “Who?” I had no idea who he was.”

His early days in WCW: “Right away I got along with Brian Pillman. Guys who worked out hung together. Guys who partied worked together. So me and Brian got along great. I was 19 years old, no credit card, no nothing. I was getting $500 a week to go to wrestling school. When they put you on the road, you lose $500 really fast; going to the gym, tanning, eating, hotel, whatever you do. I came home losing money, the whole thing was a 10 day road trip. Homesick, crying, calling home. After Pillman, me and Johnny B. Badd got on real good. Once we got our own credit cards and were making money, no one rode with us. We went and trained, and didn’t know what a beer was, and didn’t party. It was all about working out and pro wrestling. After that it was Sting, and then Luger. Me and Luger were animals at that point. Scotty got in such good shape at that time. He set the bar so high, anyone who hoped in our car, it was gonna be chicken breasts, baked potatoes and working out, Not many people jumped in the car with us. Me and Lex wanted to work out and look good for TV.”

The WCW Tapings: “WCW didn’t have to be a TV company. WWF had to sell their product to a TV Company. We had 500 people get in free at WCW Center Stage. I was out on the street begging people to come in and sit down. We gave away bicycles and everything to get people in, then tape a months work of matches. So we would do 25 matches in a day. We had to be careful with angles and stuff, because if someone gets hurt, then you ruin the angle. If you notice, when me and Riggs were on the shows, we were announced as Tag Champions, but we didn’t have the belts.”

On breaking his neck: “What happened then, Rick didn’t tell anyone, he had tore his rotator cuff. So here’s a bulldog, a move I have taken a thousand times. He comes off the top and misses me. It was live TV. So I was trying to catch up to him, and as I was trying to catch up with him, he hit the mat and went back into my face. So my face went into his back, and the back of my head touched my shoulder blades. And I just went instantly limp. Basically my face went into his back at a perfect angle, so medically at Level 3-4, that cervical disk shot into my spinal cord and bruised it. To me, when it swelled you lose; its not like a stinger, or I’m gonna be ok, as soon as I got hit I said “I am paralyzed.” So the finish of the match, Scotty was gonna slide in, hit Rick with a chair, put me on Rick, pin 1-2-3, NWO wins. I am on the mat face down, and as soon as he rolled me over I said I am paralyzed. His eyes were like oh my god, then I had 270 pounds of a maniac named Scotty Steiner coming in with a chair. If you watch the match, you will see my mouth going 100 miles an hour saying “Please don’t touch me, I am hurt.” So all Scott did was hit Rick with a chair, and then he was gonna put my arm across Rick, as soon as he did my arm didn’t stay there, because I was paralyzed from the neck down. So the ref counted three while both our backs were on the mat. It was just a bad scene.

On a possible future with TNA: “Me and Eric [Bischoff] are talking. Sting wants me to come down there and work for TNA. So we are in talks, we are waiting for me to get back to 100%. We are about 2 weeks out. I just spoke to Sting yesterday. So Eric is gonna bring me down and talk to me and just see what happens, so I am in the mix with maybe going back to TNA now.”

For more from Marcus Bagwell, including talk about his various tag team partners, who was supposed to be in the original American Males, who Eric Bischoff wanted to lead the NWO, his mom being a tag champion, the “Buff Bagwell Heat”, his time in and current relationship with WWE, and what the future holds, go to and listen to Episode 65: Monday Night Wars with Buff Bagwell and Headbanger Thrasher.

46 Responses to “Buff Bagwell Says He’s In Talks To Join TNA Wrestling”

1. DarkNexxus says:

Just read this on yardbarker. He said in about 2 weeks, while not exact, it's very close to 1-3-13. Barring that, a return by Sting, doing it the way WWE does the undertaker.

2. Goeroe1981 says:

Yes yes yes sign Bagwell….I just love TNA. Loved him in WCW. If he can still go he is an asset to TNA.

3. TFnatureboyfig4 says:

I wouldn't mind seeing him back on TV for a while.

• Philly_Cheese says:

I don't think he should be on TV to much, I think more so he should be helping out the talent of our generation that needs the help. People like Magnus, Rob Terry, King Mo, and others like them that don't know much could learn a lot from a wrestler who'd be dedicated purely to helping younger wrestlers, especially those they've been sending to OVW.

4. incognitowolfe says:

eh fuuuuuuuuuuck it sign him, he's better than nash. Just hope he puts over young talent u know.
    I think he'd be the perfect guy to put over someone like matt morgan.

5. KG says:

Leader of Aces &8??

6. Nova_numb says:

Perhaps an aces and eights guy?

7. 426 says:

Its goin be jericho on 1 3 13

• SageStinger says:

Yes because Chris loves HH and Eric Bischoff sooo much, that he'll go work with THEM in TNA for less money. Use your head before you use your words.

• purpleurkel says:

its a business… Jericho has bills.

If everyone has to love their boss, nobody would have a job

• SageStinger says:

Jericho probably still has money too. Money aside, he would probably just go back to WWE, he has no reason not to. And we all know that he doesn't like Hogan or Bischoff. So Jericho in TNA = Fat chance.

• tnadude says:

Actually, you might want to check your history. Jericho named Hogan as his favorite opponent.

Time heals all.

• SageStinger says:

Jericho said Hogan was his favorite opponent? Over Shawn Micheals? I find that a little hard to believe, considering Micheals was his idol growing up.. And their Wrestlemania match was incredible.

• tnadude says:

He's said hBK Nd Rovk over the years as well. But when asked recently, he said that Hogan just got the match over the best. Also said it was a mistake putting him & HHH after Rock & Hogan. They get along quite well, actually. He's beyond the WCW years.

• Bigmike885 says:

like to see that interveiw..i dont even remember him wrestling Hogan…

8. Treck says:

When I think of Buff I think of him and Scott Steiner against Rick Steiner feud. It was so funny believe it was halloween havoc? Where Buff faked a neck injury in the steiner vs steiner match and when they all went to the ambulence Bagwell and Scott jumped out and Attacked Rick Steiner and then when he came out in a Bill Clinton mask and the announcers were like “who could it be?” Then Bagwell took it off then they were like “ah he got us again” if that Bagwell was in TNA I would be fine with him being in TNA.

9. mrthefanboy says:

Hope Buff Bagwell gets the job this guy was always underrated.

• tnadude says:

If AOL had not bought Time Warner, Buff Bagwell would be a household name. That's a big if – but Buff really WAS the stuff.

Queation is, is he STILL the stuff. I hope to find out.

• Bigmike885 says:

really?..a household name? about the time he went to WWE, wrestled one match, and was shitcanned the next day becasue it was so bad?..he had is chance ovre a decade ago..

• tnadude says:

Check out the interview noted above. It had nothing to do with his performance. Besides, let's face it – if Vince wasn't sure Buff could wrestle, he wouldn't have made him one of the first that he signed. Makes no sense.

Seriously though – check out the interview. It was a very entertaining interview. Thrasher was cool as well.

Buff was a bit immature at the time, which is what did him in. But we've certainly seen that in wrestling before. A more mature Buff could make a huge Impact (pun intended).

10. Roid Master says:

Yeah, bring in a 90's retread. That should drive up the ratings. Maybe they could also sign Scott Norton and resurrect the tag team of "Vicious and Delicious".

11. kevinroulette says:

I always liked buff. He's buff and the stuff . I think he could help out in back and have few matchs . Or maybe aces 8 guy .

• tnadude says:

They should make him a member of Aces & 8s. Buff is still only 42. That's not old in this business at all, and he has a lot of tread left on his tires due to the layoff.

He's got a great character, excellent charisma, and is a decent worker.

12. Stunner says:

Please Heck to the NO!!!! TNA needs NEW faces along with the VETs that they have, move forward not backward. Maybe as an agent, that would be great, however in ring is again a NO!!!

13. Stunner says:

1-3-13 is the monster an yes I do like Joesph Parks very funny really ! However now it’s time to bring back the Orginial Monster !!!! Black hole SLAM !!!!

14. Bigmike885 says:

im acctually shocked how many people on here are good with this?..TNA has been making HUGE strides in the last 6 months, this will not help..he was never a great wrestler, and he's not a big a name to make a splash…

• DickTheBruiser says:

I don't think I really ever seen ANY Bagwell marks before reading these comments.

• kevinroulette says:

Not really a mark for buff .i just think he's still got stuff to offer. He's great on mic, has a good look and he's work isn't that bad. He could help in back stage with younger guys. He's only 42 so he still can work And put over people. Plus he's a bigger name than luke gallows or mike Knox and could be a big name in the aces and 8s .

• DickTheBruiser says:

Luke Gallows and Mike Knox are the future of this business. Bagwell is a 42 year old never has been. He was Steiner's lackie, at his best. Name one match or angle the guy was involved with that made him at all credible enough to bring back 10 years after he was benched?

Seriously. You don't remember this guy getting boo'd on live tv… not for the right reasons?

• tnadude says:

I'm a mark for him. Let him teach AJ a thing or two.

• ricky_No1 says:

I agree with you on bagwell. What a fucking stupid mistake it would be to hire the nobody when TNA has been doing so well of late.

15. Buff Daddy says:

About time baby! Big Mike, I hope you get herpes.

16. Peckar says:

I will save my opinion until I have seen him wrestle. Was always a good talker.

17. RealCreative says:

I think Buff is a great talent in the ring & on the mic…a good asset for TNA compared to some of the others we have wasted time and money on….IM BUFF & IM THE STUFF!

18. TwIsTeD_EnEmY says:

Can he still wrestle ?

19. LAwrestling112 says:

I'm tired of hearing that this wrestler shouldn't get signed and that wrestler isnt a big enough name before his release…..every working professional is eligible to be one TV and always strives to work on the biggest stage if they're capable of it . Its up to the promotion HOW they use them…The WWF and WCW were great at one uping eachother back in the day, making stars out of misused or overlooked talent (unfortunately WWE did this to WCW more times than often, but WCW did it to ECW on may occassions).. Actually better yet, look at Tensai….If i had read a rumor that they were resigning Albert over there, I would have had a negative response, BUT upon seeing the character, his commitment to it, and the follow through, it actually works and its kind of cool to see a mid carder at best back in the day like Albert re emerge with a fresh, workable, and highly used gimmick, flirting in with big matches and with world champions already…Lets see if TNA is this Saavy

20. tnadude says:

Who was Buff's last partner in crime anyway??? Oh yeah – Scott Steiner.

• DickTheBruiser says:

Wow. Pretty good call there. Quite possible. I've said Steiner for ages. In this situation, Bagwell would at least make a "little" sense.

21. MRPC says:

Buff (maybe), Judy (Hell no!!).

I remember him being awful though in the last days of WCW and that botchfest of a match on Raw with Booker T when WW(F)E were toying with the idea of re-launching WCW (like their fake version of ECW).

Has he even worked a match in the last 10 years?

22. MRPC says:

Can't believe I didn't think of it earlier.

'Gutcheck' of course!! One last shot and the background story.