Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Jan 17, 2013
Bully Ray Says He Likes TNA Cutting Back On PPVs

Bully Ray Says He Likes TNA Cutting Back On PPVs

Bully Ray recently spoke with Busted Open radio about TNA cutting back their PPVs and more. Check out the highlights:

On Impact becoming better than TNA PPVs: “I think it’s good for business as far as people being emotionally invested and really interested in what’s going on. From a dollars and cents point of view, I can only hope it makes sense for TNA.”

On TNA cutting its PPVs back: “I like to compare everything to sex. Even sex gets too much at times. A pay-per-view every single month, you kind of get burned out on it. What really is special and what is not special? Sometimes you may watch a PPV and say actually Thursday night’s Impact was better than the PPV. So what did I spend my money on? I remember as a kid growing up, the WrestleManias, the Royal Rumbles, the Survivor Series, the Summerslams, the Starrcades. The special shows that you really, really built to. You built real emotional investment. Where you said to yourself, ‘I absolutely, positively have to see this show.’ With PPV nowadays, whether it’s WWE, TNA, Ring of Honor. Is there anything that’s must see anymore? Okay, I know I must see Bound For Glory, and I know I must see WrestleMania. What else?”

On his desire to have TNA visit more traditional wrestling cities more often: “There aren’t a lot of topics that I won’t answer you guys on. This one I’m going to step away from, for the very simple fact that my opinions might not mesh with their business opinions. I would love to see TNA get on board a little bit with the more traditional style of wrestling promotion, and getting word out to the fans a little more than just the TV show and the Internet. I do believe that a company who is still growing like TNA, you really do need to do the gorilla marketing, the grassroots marketing. I do believe that TNA should be appearing more and more in New York, in Philadelphia, in Boston, in Chicago, and Detroit. Hardcore wrestling fanatics, cities where people will really sink their teeth into your product, people will really jump on board. I’m not quite sure why they stay away from the Northeats as much as they do.”

14 Responses to “Bully Ray Says He Likes TNA Cutting Back On PPVs”

1. DJBIGCG says:

Well we'll have to see how the 4 ppv thing goes. And with wwe raw being 3 hours and now tna tring that too, we'll have to see how that also goes

2. Buff Daddy says:

3. xenocea says:

You can never have too much sex. x)

4. Steven kelly says:

As to a 3 hour tna im down with that if it happened mre roster being used yay

5. tnadude says:

Great answer regarding traditional wrestling cities. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. They really don't think they can sell the same number of seats in Baltimore that they sell in Salisbury or Hagerstown?

There are plenty of venues in larger cities that support smaller crowds. The only "excuse" I can think of is that it kills their ego to go to a larger city and play a small venue. And that's just ridiculous.

• ariesstormjoe says:

it is a very smart answer from bully ray/mark.

i think tna are just being money saving. panda energy have a substantial amount of money behind them they could put some in to tna. but dont because if they invest say as an example $1000 they have to make $2000 back to make it worth it.

• tnadude says:

See, that's just the thing. I live in Baltimore. I have a vacation home 30 mins from Salisbury. Salisbury is a small town with virtually nothing yo do. Comparatively, it will draw better.

But there are over 1 million living around Baltimore. There are tons of small, cheap venues. And several independent promotions. So there is no reason they can't afford it. And the numbers suggest it would be more profitable.