Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Jul 8, 2013
Chris Sabin Speaks Out – Title Shot, Hail Sabin, More

Chris Sabin Speaks Out – Title Shot, Hail Sabin, More

Chris Sabin recently spoke with Busted Open Radio about his match on Impact and more. Check out the highlights:

On his Triple Threat Match on Impact with Austin Aries and Manik: “Well, yeah it ended up being that way (a singles with Aries), Sabin vs. Aries thanks to Aces and Eights interfering of course as they usually do. Luckily, the Main Event Mafia came out there and kept them at bay so I was able to just be—after they injured TJ or Manik whichever name you want to go by now. After they injured him, and we were able to actually have a wrestling match with no interference, so that was—that was something special to me because it was just a straight up wrestling match. And we got to do it just one on one and you don’t get to see many one on one in the X Division nowadays with the three way rule. So it was pretty cool.”

On doing the ‘Hail Sabin’ off the second rope: “Yeah, it was reckless. Obviously, we beat each other up pretty bad but you know you had to. The stakes were huge, it was for the X division title and Destination X is only a couple weeks away. And whoever has the X division title when that event rolls around can exchange it for a shot at the World Heavyweight Title. So obviously you could see how much it meant to me and Austin in the ring.”

On the Triple Threat Match being a possible contender for Match of the Year but airing on holiday: “Well, I mean if people didn’t get to see it hopefully they got to DVR it or record it or whatever and watch it later. If they can’t then hopefully it at least created some sort of buzz around the show. You know what I mean, that people will want to tune into the feature because hopefully they can see more matches between myself and Aries again.”

On winning the title, losing the title and then winning again creating some buzz: “I think so too. I think that all the twists and turns makes everything unexpected. It makes you anticipate seeing what’s next. It makes you want to see the show. Yeah I think that just the last couple of months have been really good and I have been really enjoying everything I have been doing.”

On if there was any doubt that he would be be challenging for the World Heavyweight Title again: “I’ve never been in this position before, really. I’ve never had a World Title shot actually. I’ve been In TNA for over ten years and have never gone for the World Title once. So this is—I’m happy just to be in this position. I’m happy to see that my hard work, everything that all my dedication over the last ten years is starting to pay off.”

13 Responses to “Chris Sabin Speaks Out – Title Shot, Hail Sabin, More”

1. Dante_Cross says:

The match showed that TNA needs to end the three-way idea and the wrestlers obviously don't like it.

• andy3323 says:

Exactly what I thought once it was just Sabin and AA in the ring. I get what they were trying to do, to an extent, but it hasn't caught on. Hey, at least they ditched that awful ref-cam.

2. whatsup121 says:

That Hail Sabin of the second rope was

SIC

3. POWER TO THE PEOPLE says:

TNA needs to drop that stupid threeway rule

4. Tiffanydude says:

The three way X division matches are just horrid including the Weight Limit rule. The division went from "NO LIMITS" to "EXTREMELY LIMITED".
    The 3 way matches makes harder to create a feud between 2 wrestlers b/c the 3rd just in the way and it ruins the excitement from 3 way matches. Jerry Lynn VS Senshi VS AJ perfect example of what a 3 way X-Division match SHOULD BE, most of the current 3 Ways matches are perfect examples on what it SHOULDN'T BE.
    Plus weight limit just ruins other potential wrestlers from competing.
    Obviously guys like Robbie T n Abyss should compete in it but Joe changed the X Division like he said before……..
    "I gave the X-Division its balls" And true he did

• tnadude says:

I totally get what you're saying. In fact, I agree with quite a bit of it, actually. But here's the thing. I like the 3 way. It's fresh. Nobody else is doing it. ROH's best matches are because they throw so many guys out there. Literally, 3 way tag matches with 4-6 more guys interfering. It creates mass chaos and is interesting.

ROH does it because they have to. Frankly, they don't have enough TV time. TNA is in a similar position. Three way matches give a third guy a chance to shine (not counting the contender's match which adds another guy).

They also give a single guy a "break" to keep the action fast-paced.

Now, that's not to say the 3-ways have been done "well". I agree with you – there's room for improvement. But I'd rather see random run-ins from one or more of the "contenders". Adding a fourth or fifth body to catch people jumping out of the ring would be cool.

It would help ratings too. People clearly like the current format. But they need a break from talking. Back in WCW, the cruiserweights gave us that needed break. Now the X-Division guys can too.

• Tiffanydude says:

You make some excellent points, the 3rd guy person in the match can give the other guy a break and keep the match moving at a fast pace, for example Manik vs Sabin Vs AA that was and amazing match b/c it was AA VS Sabin, then AA VS TJ then TJ VS Sabin it was like watching 3 matches at once until TNA F-ed it up by adding A&8 and MEM to the mix, it totally killed my X-Division buzz by taking out TJ Perkins with a powerbomb. With the right booking and match length and NO OUTSIDE INTERFERENCE BY A&8'S, it can become very successful, but I do miss seeing one on one X-Division matches, I really wish it wasn't a rule because i feel like the Division is becoming more and more restricted instead of you know just doing more 3 ways, it so much easier and the fans won't be as pissed. Like with Tag Team Division there has been more 3 way matches recently but no rule change, fans no pissed and still refreshing.

5. RavenNevermore says:

End the three way x division matches. Hire more x stars and since the lockout tag title and tv title are disappearing make a three man x division tag title.

6. TNArocks says:

I've only been watching TNA for about 18 months now after becoming disillusioned with the WWE & the direction WCW was going in around about 2000.

I must say since then I think I have watched every IMPACT and I did watch last years Westlemania and I reckon I've only seen 2 5 star matches and this was one of them and the other involved AA as well.

• tnadude says:

I concur – there haven't been that many. At times, it seems like guys are going "slow" to conserve themselves for PPVs. Hopefully the new PPV schedule will fix that.

7. purpleurkel says:

Best Match of the year IMO

8. Charles says:

Ok, by your logic the 2011-2012 Miami Heat would beat the 95-96 Chicago Bulls (72-10 season)…right? These players learned from them so they would be better? Every Olympic Gold medalist in Basketball could beat any of the previous Gold Medalist? I would say that if they had healthy Dwight Howard it would be a much closer game.