Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on May 15, 2013
Dixie Carter Comments On The Hemme/Aries Incident

Dixie Carter Comments On The Hemme/Aries Incident

UPDATE: Dixie Carter has chimed in on the Austin Aries/Christy Hemme incident on Impact, posting to Twitter:

TNA has ZERO tolerance for inappropriate behavior. The incident with Austin Aries was taken very seriously and handled immediately.

ORIGINAL: Austin Aries will be disciplined for his public form of sexual harassment towards TNA Wrestling ring announcer Christy Hemme on last Thursday’s episode of iMPACT! Wrestling. Mark Madden garnered a statement from David Schwarz, Senior Vice President of Communications for Spike TV, regarding the matter Tuesday.

“We have a zero tolerance policy for sexual harassment,” said Schwarz. “We discussed [the incident] with our partner. [Aries is] being disciplined. I’m trying to get more information on what action is being taken. Dixie Carter took this very personally. He will be disciplined. Again, we have a zero tolerance policy for sexual harassment.

“I’m not sure specifically how [the discipline] will be handled. To what extent, I don’t know. This is certainly something we don’t condone and don’t tolerate. Such behavior is not welcome.”

In response to whether Aries’ discipline should be made public since Hemme was harassed on national television, Schwarz responded, “I think that a statement of some sort will be coming. That’s being worked out. But immediate action will be taken.”

On the show, Hemme mistakenly introduced Aries and tag team partner Bobby Roode as their opponents for the evening, Christopher Daniels and Kazarian. This led Aries to corner the inaugural winner of WWE’s Diva Search in the ring as he intimidated her into correctly introducing him before climbing onto a second-level turnbuckle and shoving his groin near her face.

Following the show, Hemme voiced her displeasure with Aries’ actions via Twitter, deeming it “unacceptable.” Late Saturday night, Aries appeared to address the incident though the social networking outlet, writing, “Pretty nuts, some of the junk people get the balls to say over the net, knowing they couldn’t to your face…Eh, anyway, time to sack out.”

22 Responses to “Dixie Carter Comments On The Hemme/Aries Incident”

1. soyfenomenal says:

Boo fucking hoo. Piss off with your "girl power" bullshit.

2. tnafan05 says:

I love aries i dont think hemme made that big a deal out of it either its just been taken to far

3. DirkB says:

My issue with this is the claim of "sexual harassment" that particular law is ridiculously vague and can cover just looking at someone or even standing next to them. There doesn't have to be anything "sexual" about it.

When I first saw the whole thing, I rewound and watched gain, for me it was a great heel reaction from Aries, from when he stopped in disbelief at Hemme's screw up to him climbing the buckle, classic heel intimidation. Like when Bully would get in Christy's face and talk to her as if she was a piece of crap. Not once did the idea of anything sexual even cross my mind.

They considered Aries' behaviour inappropriate, that's fair enough, I can completely understand that. But claiming that it somehow sexually motivated or similar is taking it too far.

The Joey Ryan character better be finished after this.

One thing that does bug me about the whole thing, Hemme has screwed up before but always corrected herself, in this case she didn't. There was ample time for her to realize that she got it wrong and fix it before Aries and Roode even reached the ring, but she didn't.

• jbcissom says:

When you rewatched the segment, did you notice the audio blasting over the speakers was wrong for both AA/Roode and Bad Influence.

And I agree with all of your points up to a certain degree. But whether or not we agree/disagree on Aries shoving his crotch in Hemme's face, due to the legal system, Hemme could have TNA in a bad spot, and because of all of the PC-ness now, TNA could lose it's slot on SpikeTV if the rumors of Spike looking to garner a stronger female audience.

Like I said from the very beginning… I can understand the "heel" reason for Aries doing what he did. But he didn't have to climb that turnbuckle at that moment. He could have "shoo-ed" Hemme away and then climbed the turnbuckle.

And once again, for the Joey Ryan character, you guys need to understand the difference between gimmick/storyline and real life. When it comes to the gimmick, people are in agreement. That's not always the case with real life.

4. TheBossOfPW says:

TNA needs to milk this Austin Aries controversy for all that it's worth. Both Aries and Bully Ray (who was criticized recently for calling someone a faggot) should make a big stance about how they are being unfairly targeted and are sick of all this Political Correctness crap. They would become instant anti heroes. There are so many people who are tired of all this PC being forced upon us. This is TNA's chance to get people on board. And like all the best angles it's based on reality that the majority of people can relate to. No matter which side you are on on the PC issues you have strong feelings. This could be gold if TNA has the balls to do it.

Everyone has strong feelings about political correctness. I don't think such an angle has ever been done before. It could be huge.

• jbcissom says:

You could be right. But I think that is a subject that no one is ready to touch just yet. There's too much… homosexual events going on right now, as well as the abortion doctor getting sentenced yesterday, not to mention the sexual assault case with the military, the Benghazi-gate situation, the IRS situation…. a lot of political pundits aren't so high on the President they anointed as a quasi-messiah.

Basically anything to do with politics is a red flag issue right now. Notice how WWE isn't pushing the Jack Swagger/Zeb Coulter political angle as much right now.

• NotCookz says:

That's because Swagger's storylines are being pulled due to his impending punishment for being caught with weed.

• jbcissom says:

Do I go after the punchline if WWE's Wellness Policy in my rebuttal, or do I go after the fact that WWE has used Dutch Mantell to progress Albert Del Rio as a top Latino face, not Jack Swagger?

• NotCookz says:

That's because Swagger can't cut a promo to save his life.

• jbcissom says:

No disagreement here (and that goes for about 85% of WWE's roster), but WWE used the Zeb Coulter character as a political attention grab that did work. FoxNews and CNN were talking about WWE. WWE saw a small increase in viewership. Then all the political b.s. hit the fan, and WWE stopped pushing the immigration promos by Dutch Mantell.

• NotCookz says:

Yeah I'd noticed that too, even the YouTube 'Don't Tread On Me' vids they were promoting have been toned down a lot. Dutch is top-notch at bringing characters to life, and making them believable.

• Mr. Excitement says:

I like your idea.

5. DJBIGCG says:

You know I thought tna was tv 14. If something like this with Aries and bubba or bully ray were to happen in ecw, czw, etc… They wouldn't be all into it like tna is

6. POWERBOMB says:

I am very angry at these executives who think they know it all! They completely disregard the fans and believe that the fans don't matter.They don't understand wrestling! Wrestlig is all about creativity and interaction with the fans. Let's say a man opens a food restaurant business and he want to make all his custumers eat tacos even if the custumers don't want to eat tacos. Do you expect his restaurant to prosper? Hell no! No one wants to eat at his restaurant. Then why in the world wrestling executives keep feeding us crap and expect to get more raitings and PPV buys? Idiots give us what we want! We want more freedom for talented wrestlers like Austin Aries. He did not sexually harrassed her we all saw it on tv and he did nothing wrong.

• jbcissom says:

Let's say you serve hot coffee at your restaurant in styrofoam cups with lids. And then lets say that one of your customers spills the hot coffee that you provided and served to said customer on his or herself, resulting in a lawsuit that forces you file for bankruptcy and close down your restaurant.

7. annil8or4321 says:

if anything he should of been given a talking to,"hey dont do that again" kind of thing thats it! but in this country your unfortunately guilty until proven innocent, pretty bogus

• jbcissom says:

You're full of crap if you think, "you're guilty until proven innocent". There was evidence that showed Casey Andrews murdered her child and our freaking judicial system allowed her to get off Scott-free. Now she can come clean of killing her daughter, and there is not a d@mn thing anyone can do about it legally.

Get off of Aries "crotch". He f'ed up. If he was a real man, he'd admit to it, do what he has to do to make things right, then go about his business.

I swear… I'm tired of fanboys.

• annil8or4321 says:

there are unfortunately always going to be cases were everyone knows the person is guilty but somehow they escape justice, im not full of crap im only giving my opinion based off of my experiences of being a red skinned native who lives in a great country that is unfortunately full of bigots and small minded people of all ethnicities, it has nothing to do with tna, in my opinion, what aries did was not vulgar or sexual in any way but all it takes is one person to say something and it could very well cost someone his career, he could be labeled very easily

8. DigestivBiscuit says:

This wasn't even an issue until they started mention it on social networking site… I mean come on if this was truly an issue TNA would have mention it since last Friday but nah they waited till Tuesday. When I saw it on TV I laugh out aloud cause in my eyes it were hilarious and many of the mates I watching it with laugh because it was funny.

9. Mutter5 says:

watching the clip Christy says something like "okay, thats enough' at that point Aries get off the ropes.
    If you ask me, he covered it brilliantly, took the attention strait of Christys mistake and put all eyes on him.

10. JoeWrestling says:

It's easy to say the difference between storyline and improv but logically they can't do this stuff anymore in storyline either. It makes no sense to say you have zero tolerance, then allow it to be in story on air. How dumb does the company look then. It's over, you can't do these type of things in storyline either after you make a big deal out of it.