Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Sep 29, 2012
Doink The Clown Reveals Why He Hates Hulk Hogan

Doink The Clown Reveals Why He Hates Hulk Hogan

Matt Borne, who portrayed the original Doink the Clown, appeared on Inside The Ropes on Thursday to discuss his time as the character. Highlights from the interview are as follows:

How he was offered the Doink gimmick when he came back to the WWF in 1992: “I worked as Matt Borne on TV. I did whatever they asked me to do. On the third night, Vince called me into his office and he asked me about my history in the wrestling business and from that conversation, he came up with the evil clown thing. It took me a back at first. He thought I could do it given my background but only if I wanted to do it. He told me to go home and think about it and I called him the next week and he flew me back and they had drawings and all kinds of shit and they painted my face different ways. Two weeks later, I was on TV in the nosebleeds section being a clown.”

How much of Stephen King’s ‘It’ and Jack Nicholson’s Joker influenced early Doink: “I’ve actually been told that I have a lot of mannerisms like Jack Nicholson so yeah I watched a lot of Jack and I watched ‘It’ and watched pretty much any evil clown stuff I could get my hands on and you know I ate, slept and drank evil clowns.”

Who was his original opponent for WrestleMania 9: “I was supposed to wrestle Hogan at WrestleMania IX and Hogan refused. I don’t know why, but I think it had something to do with a bad relationship between Hulk and my old partner Buzz Sawyer. Buzz and I, people thought we were brothers, we looked similar. Hogan, I don’t know if he was afraid to work with me, so the second choice was Davey Boy Smith and he refused to work with him too. I don’t know why because I always got along with him real well but a lot of people were wary of the clown character, so it ended up being me and Crush at WrestleMania IX.”

Matt’s theory on how Hulk Hogan got his black eye at WrestleMania IX: “Randy Savage gave it to him. I’d bet my left nut and my son’s life on it. Hogan showed his true colours, thats why he got the black eye. Randy Savage was a man. Hulk Hogan has never been a man. Hulk Hogan’s a big ass pussy. I don’t care if you call and tell him I said that. His ex Elizabeth was seeing this small time producer, who happened to be a friend of Hogan. Elizabeth was hiding in the back room when Savage went to see Hogan and he found out about it. Friends don’t do friend like that. Who can you say is Hulk Hogan’s friend? The only people that can say their Hulk Hogan’s friends are the people who are riding his coat tails and trying to make a living off of him like Brian Knobbs or some fat fuck like that. Hogan was supposed to be Savage’s friend and he threw him under a bus and he got a black eye for it.”

Why he doesn’t like Hulk Hogan: “He was an arrogant fuck. I still think he is. I look at him and laugh because I know him for who he truly is. I don’t like him. I really find it hard to even like him as a person. He’s a phony inside and out. He showed that when he did that to Randy. When he said that him and Randy had made up, after Randy had died, well that’s bullshit. Randy hated Hogan.”

Differences between workers from the 80s/90s to today: “I could take Curt Hennig, Randy Savage and Bret Hart, those three guys, they could come to the building, haven’t seen me for three weeks and we’d just meet in the ring and we would tear it up. We wouldn’t have to say a word to each other. We didn’t have to talk to each other. That’s the way great workers do it. You don’t have to choreograph shit. These guys today they’re great athletes, but they’re not great workers. there’s a difference. Working is not going out there and doing a gymnastics thing. working is making the 200 or 20,000 people believe, it’s feeding people and making them like what they’re eating.”

Borne also talks about working the first WrestleMania, his beef with “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan, the original explosive finish of the WrestleMania 9 match with Crush, Steve Keirn also portraying Doink, Paul Heyman, and more. The audio interview is available at www.facebook.com/theinsidenetwork.

18 Responses to “Doink The Clown Reveals Why He Hates Hulk Hogan”

1. 1985dude says:

must've been desperate to be interviewing the original Doink the clown. Eugene made a better Doink than the original guy

• Pipboy86 says:

Actually the original evil clown Doink gimmick with Matt Bourne was a good character. Very much ahead of its day in pro wrestling. Doink sucked when Bourne was fired and it became a fun babyface archetype. Both because it was cliche with 3 midget sidekicks, and saccharine sweet babyface gags. Also because the guy that took over the role was not nearly as technically sound as Matt Bourne.

2. TitsMagee says:

Earthquake is dead :(

3. hangers says:

That would be a bit hard considering John Tenta, who played Earthquake died in 2006.

4. TnaCanada1 says:

All these guys hate Hogan you know why because he is and always will be the biggest name in wrestling. They are all jealous. Doink lives in a trailer and has nothing hogan lives in a nice house and is currently making over a million dollars a year

• DickTheBruiser says:

No. It's because Hogan truly dogged a lot of people over the years and was a shitty ring worker. That's why he's hated.

5. bj757 says:

Let’s face the even someone that doesn’t watch wrestling knows about it because of Hogan. I still don’t know anyone not even the (great) john cena who can sell a one match show on NBC and make it work . Like him or not that’s money made

6. whatsup121 says:

what about when Doink went face and had a (little person) partner Dink

7. dcxboxx says:

really doink. matt bourne your career highlights was being a lame lumber jack in wcw and moved to wwf to be doink . the best version was when he went to ecw as himself and doink in his bourne again character. beyond that hes done nothing dealt with drugs and drinking problems i think. hogan didnt work with you at mania because you weren't a main event guy yet end of story. so you got fed to crush . matt bourne does some indys but nothing major and he never headlines. so you think you could have main evented a wrestlemania , really???? honestly i liked him as doink in wwf and loved him as bourne again matt doink bourne in ecw. wasnt a big fan of him as big josh the lumber jack in wcw though.

8. Treck says:

Funny how all of the has beens are coming out to hate on Hogan on the internet being its what the iwc loves to do. Listen I am not a Hogan fan. Not even close. But without Hogan wrestling would of never grown to this and

• Treck says:

Who the hell would of known of doink? Hogan is not the first or last to use his political pull in the back. Just that he is the biggest name to do it. Lets talk about Vince Mcmahon and how great he was. Oh yeah Doink probably is looking for another quick payday by the wwe. Yeah because the wwe brings back the hasbeens here and there.

9. rockinrollinroo says:

maybe bourne needs the money so he's starting this feud with hogan so they can set a match for next years bound for glory? dont know if wwe own the rights to doink as it has been used outside wwe lots.

10. mrjdjr says:

"…an arrogant fuck". God, I love that!

11. Big t mass says:

Like Steiner said Hogan a pussy he won’t fight and Randy. Smacked him I am a fan of his for what he did for the biss but I believe he is I guess stuck up

12. Big t mass says:

Remember this doink knows Hogan personaly