Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Aug 26, 2013
Eric Bischoff Speaks Out – The ‘Dirtsheets’, State Of TNA

Eric Bischoff Speaks Out – The ‘Dirtsheets’, State Of TNA

TNA Executive Eric Bischoff recently spoke with Bob Kapur of SLAM! Wrestling. Here are some highlights of what he said about:

The Current State of TNA: “As someone who is very clearly associated with and very much invested in it emotionally, I want to see it succeed, obviously. I think the business, and the television business, is an extremely competitive one. It’s difficult for a lot of people and for a lot of networks. We’re competing with general entertainment, we’re competing for extremely valuable real estate on a very important television network that’s owned by a very important media conglomerate. But I think there is a ton of potential in TNA. It’s uniquely positioned to grow, and to become much larger in many ways than it is right now.”

His Role In TNA: “My role doesn’t extend to the hiring and firing or recruiting. That’s the business side of TNA’s business, and I’m not involved in that. My partner Jason Hervey and I are the Executive Producers of Impact. Essentially, my role is: to oversee the creative side of the production; to be involved in post-production as is necessary; to execute the creative direction and vision of each episode; to work closely with the network to make sure the TNA side of the equation understands the network’s goals; and to be the liaison for TNA on the production side of things so that the network understands what our challenges are, and where we’re going, and what we’re trying to do. My involvement is really limited to the show itself. I’m not involved in many aspects of the business that the internet would suggest I’m involved in.”

His Son Garrett Bischoff: “I’m extremely proud of him. I’m very, very proud. It was a goal of his, something that he’d wanted to do since he was extremely young, as a child growing up – which I didn’t really find out about until just a few years ago when he broke into the business. I’m very proud of him for working hard to do what he’s needed to do. Clearly he had an advantage in getting into the business, I think everybody understands that, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think that was a factor. But he also has had to overcome a lot because of who he is, and because of who I am. And he’s handled that really well. But there’s a part of me that knows – and I tell him this – that this is an extremely difficult business, more difficult now than it’s ever been. There’s really only one big place to work, and TNA is what TNA is and where they are. It’s a tough career choice when there are really only two car manufacturers and one’s in mass production.”

The Internet Wrestling Community: “Unfortunately, the internet, the dirt sheets, the blogs, whatever you want to call them – a lot of them are operating with partial information. And that hurts a lot of the different parties involved. It hurts the talent in certain respects; it hurts the business in certain respects; it hurts the credibility of the people who write about things that they don’t fully understand. It’s unfortunate, but that’s the nature of the business.”

25 Responses to “Eric Bischoff Speaks Out – The ‘Dirtsheets’, State Of TNA”

1. nicholal79 says:

The IWC are the most dedicated and hardcore fans! The IWC is the heart and soul of the fan base!

2. Steven kelly says:

Awesome interview especially bowt the disreputable dirtsheets n sites who just cut n paste spelling mistakes and all :) also i kinda like his kid hes a great little jobber paying his dues like jay bradley only diff is bradley dnt get heat cos he doesnt have a famous(kinda lol) dad

• Peckar says:

Bradley and Garrett are worlds apart in regards of actual wrestling talent. Bradley reminds me of Bradshaw back in the day. Who does Garrett remind you of? thats right, nobody.

3. tnadude says:

I posted this already on another board. While Eric is correct, the IWC allows TNA to become a 24×7 operation. This serves to engage its viewers. It's good that we talk – even if we are uninformed (and let's face it, we are).

Rather than complain, he needs to "fool" the dirt sheets. Wrestling is founded upon the principle of the cliff hanger, and since that cliff hanger is fueling these sites so why not extend it's reach?

A strong IWC = a strong TNA. A wrong IWC = a strong TNA. But a right IWC spoils TNA.

4. RavenNevermore says:

The IWC is a joke. It has made wrestling worst. It is a circle jerk community a bobble head community. That always has to ride the bandwagon.

5. hitman_taz says:

Proud of Garrett???? Why he can't wrestling to save his life. He can take a bump but ask him too perform and non-basic move and then you see his weakness. i was hoping it was either Wes or Garrett to lose in the MEM v A&8's match, so either could go way and train more. Really shows that its not what you know but who your related to……

• OldManEaston says:

Maybe because Garrett is his kid? Of course it is who you know to some degree, especially when Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan have major political power in a company, and your last name is Hogan or BIschoff. Beyond that though, why wouldn't he be pro proud of his kid? Garrett has worked hard, he just sucks. I am a big Bischoff detractor, but what is he gonna say? My kid is a P.O.S. who just cant cut it?

6. Steven kelly says:

Its called learning on the job remember hes just 3 to 4 years into this game

7. whatsup121 says:

al least he give a genuine responce to it

8. whatsup121 says:

it's nice to see that Eric Bishoff (even though most people hate him) actually wants TNA to gain momentum unlike Hogan who is now offically listed as useless in TNA

• OldManEaston says:

Why wouldn't he? I don't think that was ever in question. Why would he come into a company that is paying his salary and want it to fail? Eric Bischoff is not a stupid man, a better TNA means more money for him. Now being competent to make it happen is a completely different thing though. If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass when it hopped.

9. JoeWrestling says:

Bischoff is just collecting a paycheck. He's obviously given up on TNA, unless it just happens to get big on it's own. Then he'll take credit.

10. RavenNevermore says:

Bischoff is part of the actual production of TNA. I think he is doing a damn fine job. The segments have been better. The whole production. Jim Cornette a God amongst the IWC in a company that many sheep who fallows it said when Sinclair purchased it that they are going to kill TNA. I mean Sinclair is rich but very limited and ROH has fallen off the map and though I use to like it. It has always been the minor league of Wwe and TNA. Such a genius ol Jimbo is. And another lust for the IWC Hey man where is he? Sucking up to the wwe and before that he was fallowing Lesnar around like a Puppy dog. Still is from.what I hear.

11. hangers says:

If he's in charge of creative, which he say's he is, he needs to take responsibility for the shambles things have been in for at least the past 18 months or pretty much, although I hate to say it, since Russo left… He sucked at working storylines in WCW and it seems as though he sucks at it here too..

12. ariesstormjoe says:

i agree with bischoff on the IWC. but at the same time theres the other side of the coin. its good theres discussion about wrestling news. whats bad is spoilers for any shows taped. or even possible spoilers for upcoming shows. cos fans may read them decide "meh sounds like a bad show". their opinion may be different if they watched a show instead of hearing someone else's opinion on it first. like with movies/other tv shows/games.

with the state of tna. ppl dont look at the state of wrestling as a whole.