Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Dec 25, 2012
Even More Backstage News On Ric Flair’s WWE Return

Even More Backstage News On Ric Flair’s WWE Return

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Vince McMahon was said to be “adamant” that Ric Flair not violate his 2008 retirement storyline, but WWE did let Flair get physical in the ring during his RAW appearance after undergoing medical tests and an EKG earlier in the day.

WWE isn’t all that concerned with the TNA lawsuit and don’t view it as any sort of significant threat. They haven’t heard anything from TNA on the lawsuit front in months, which led to WWE making the call to bring Flair in. The issue is – they’re not signing former TNA talents to actual contracts until the lawsuit is settled. That’s the reason Flair is not currently under contract with the company.

Also, we posted the following on December 20, 2012:

WWE did not promote Ric Flair’s return on Monday, likely due to the ongoing WWE vs. TNA Lawsuit. This is also likely the reason that Flair has not signed a contract with WWE. While Flair was on RAW Monday night, RAW viewership rose from around 4.1 million viewers to 4.7 million viewers, with big spikes in the key male demographics.

The return was planned for several weeks, with several angles for him being pitched, including one where he would introduce his daughter, Ashley, who is currently training at NXT as Charlotte.

Flair initially was not going to be doing anything physical, but those plans quickly changed. When Flair arrived in Philadelphia, he was ordered to undergo an EKG to make sure his heart was healthy enough for him to get physical on RAW with Punk, Heyman and The Shield. The return was kept a secret from the crew, and while there was buzz internally that he could appear, he was kept in a trailer away from everybody else.

While it is said that Flair will not be wrestling for WWE, he will be doing some kind of on air feud with CM Punk, likely after Punk’s match with The Rock at the Royal Rumble.


Post a Comment

10 Responses to “Even More Backstage News On Ric Flair’s WWE Return”

  1. DickTheBruiser says:

    Flair and Heyman on RAW. ALMOST makes me want to tune in, but WWE made sure that will NEVER happen after the WWECW B.S.

    • rawuncutnxrated says:

      ECW would have been at least presentable if Benoit didn't do the evil that he did. It was never going to be the glory days of what it was, no way it could have been, no business keeps all its roots when it goes corporate & mainstream. Just like the NFL is now, they are run by lawyers who look at cost & liability. Once that happens, you have rules changed and people "protected" for the interest of the company. I don't think it was atrocious but it was hard to watch a lot of the time. CM Punk made his bones there & there was some good wrestling. Him & JoMo had some great matches. It served its purpose and gave an outlet for younger guys to get air time. No matter what they called the brand it is what it is.

      • Dante_Cross says:

        In the end, ECW in WWE did as you stated, let the younger guys get airtime that they usually would not have gotten as they'd be overshadowed by the main eventers and lost in the card. Heck, I enjoyed WWECW as it was a bit better than what was going on in WWE's other two shows, with more wrestling in that one hour and showcasing people.

        I am actually sad that DJ Gabriel (the guy Alicia Fox debuted with) did not make it off of ECW.

        • Eric! says:

          LMAO are you retarded? Wwecw was a joke, Raw and Smackdown were 10x better and it was an insult to the original ecw. Dumb kids…..

      • Philly_Cheese says:

        ECW as WWE presented it was never going to be presentable, Benoit had absolutely nothing to do with it. ECW was originally about pushing the line to see how much they could get away with, it was more about being edgy and different. WWE could never do this because of their PG rating, they would and could never push things because if they did it wouldn't get a PG rating. Flat out the whole ECW brand failed because of WWE's attempt on it was PG.

        • oh0K says:

          the show was ecw …. not wwe they couldve done whatever the fuck they wanted, and made a president of the brand to catch any hell thrown at linda…… just saying

          its clear wwe respects wcw / nwa for what they started with starrcade…. the real grandaddy of em all despite what wwe says….bt not making the belts n brand seem worthless

          • Philly_Cheese says:

            You clearly don't know how business works… As long as ECW was owned by WWE, then everything that was done on ECW would have Linda and VKM held responsible. Fact is WWE wants to maintain the PG rating on all of their content. Also they had people like the FCC breathing down their throats during the attitude era, fortunately at that time the FCC lacked the ability to fine people. Today that's not the case, as the FCC is widely known for fining anything and everything that they possibly can.

          • DickTheBruiser says:

            They weren't exactly a PG company in 2006. I just can not buy into that theory. Even if it was to be toned down to some degree, the real problem was the booking and creative. I mean, the ZOMBIE? The freakin ZOMBIE?

            The angles were atrocious. It was a battle between Heyman and McMahon as soon as it hit Sci Fi. THAT was the main problem. ANY wrestling fan knew it would be toned down to at least SOME degree. The retarded booking and creative decisions were what seriously ruined it.

          • Philly_Cheese says:

            Well 2006 they were well on their way to a PG rating, by 2007 ~ 2008 they were into PG. Hence the reason why Batista left the company, his overall reason was the PG rating killed his passion for the business.

            I don't think the PG rating was the cause of ECW turning out so poorly, but ECW wouldn't continued existing more than a year or so before the PG era would've killed it. The booking, and creative did cause the show to go poorly, but a great deal of the wrestlers they had weren't very good, with a few exceptions. Some of those never got a fair chance, others were just flat out terrible.

      • DickTheBruiser says:

        It should have been left alone after the first One Night Stand. WWECW didn't even resemble the original ECW, so why even call it that in the first place?

        I tuned out by the time the Benoit tragedy came to be. As a matter of fact, I was barely tuning in until the "RVD-Sabu Incident."

        It was truly atrocious and had no business leeching off the legacy of a "non-corporate and non-mainstream entity with a rabid cult following."

        I'll never watch WWE again because of it. I was a sucker for buying the recent "Unreleased" DVD, which has a whopping 2 MATCHES that were actually not released. The entrance music is cut out, Styles redid his announcing, portions of matches were cut…. I could go on and on. Shame on me. Never again. I'd rather watch the 5th generation RF videos than give another penny to the McMahons.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>


More TNA Wrestling Headlines