Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Sep 2, 2013
Ex-TNA Star Konnan: ‘WWE Nearly Bought AAA In 2007′

Ex-TNA Star Konnan: ‘WWE Nearly Bought AAA In 2007′

On this week’s episode of MLW Radio with Konnan, former WWE creative executive Court Bauer and MSL, Konnan (the current booker of AAA) revealed that WWE almost bought AAA in 2007.

He said: “They went in there [Mexico] with big, big ambitious plans a few years ago. They wanted to do a lot of business down in Mexico and then obviously those plans scaled back and they haven’t run in two or so years down there. I know exactly what happened because we had to live through it. We had a meeting. I’ve never talked about this. We had somebody from WWE actually come and having a meeting with me and Dorian, who is the son of the owner. We had a meeting with somebody from WWE and they came and offered to buy AAA. He was really cool. He was like, ‘We want to buy AAA.’ Dorian was like, ‘We’re not really for sale, but we’ll listen.’

They wanted to buy 51% of the company. I was like, ‘Dude, do not do that because these [guys], the minute they don’t like something, they’re going to get rid of us.’ I said why doesn’t Vince just buy 50% or 49%? They said Vince doesn’t like to go into partnership with anybody and doesn’t want to be asking for permission for anything. I asked what would happen to us. They said, ‘As you can see, we’re having trouble running WWE as it is and we’re trying to expand into Europe. We don’t really know what we’re doing in Mexico, so you guys would stay in power.’ We excused ourselves to go to the bathroom and I said that’s BS. The minute we do something they don’t like, they’re going to change it and there’s nothing we can do about it. We can’t give them this type of power, which he understood. He told them we wouldn’t sell that much of the company.”

21 Responses to “Ex-TNA Star Konnan: ‘WWE Nearly Bought AAA In 2007′”

1. Mr. Excitement says:

We don't need WWE buying anymore companies. Good thing the Carter family owns TNA. They're wealthy enough to handle losses. Whereas if another company owned it, they'd probably sell to the highest (perhaps only) bidder WWE.

• brahbrah69 says:

From what i've been seeing and hearing lately i think hogan and bischoff are blatently driving TNA into the ground so they can buy it…

• Philly_Cheese says:

HH doesn't have the money, he's not worth nearly enough to buy the company even if he sold off all his assets. Last I remember he was worth less than 1 million.

• purpleurkel says:

wwe can handle losses easily.. they pass the losses to the shareholders. Thats why they went public a few years ago. Thats why they gamble on garbage movies, because it only hurts others.

2. RavenNevermore says:

I am so sick of the WWE. They have adds against bullying but all Vince McMahon tried or had actually done is bullying. The WWE wants to own all of wrestling so wrestling can be just called WWE. That is what some non wrestling fans call it and that is pure rape to the industry itself.

• Whatever says:

Oh stop your whining and crying, its not called bullying its called a monopoly. Besides you should be thanking Vince for buying companies like WcW cause if he didn’t tna would have more than likely never existed. Alls you ever do is complain calm down and just be happy tna is still in business.

• ricky_No1 says:

Its how most companys do things at the end of the day. Its a far cry from bullying.

• Bigmike885 says:

wow..you're really rolling today. Of course Vince wants to own as much as he can..most business men do, but how is he "bullying" anybody? Is he doing anything to TNA? If so please tell me..

• Bigmike885 says:

not that I care, but I love the fact that I I asked a question..got a thumbs down, but no one answered the question..

3. Bigmike885 says:

I don't buy this story for a second…it may have a been a floating offer, but I doubt that anyone from WWE would say in any kind of meeting "we're having trouble running our business right now" expecially to someone like Konnan (who has all sorts of hatred tward WWE).

• Dante_Cross says:

I think he may have been paraphrasing but the meaning was that WWE isn't doing too great as they would like in the Mexican market, which would be true in 2007.

• Philly_Cheese says:

They also mentioned Europe which WWE has been doing pretty badly in since before 2007. As a matter of fact currently TNA outranks WWE in ratings consistently over in Europe.

4. DJBIGCG says:

It wouldn't shock me in the least bit that before Vince McMahon is real old, he doesn't frankly buy wrestling and own more of it then what he already owns

5. JoeWrestling says:

This is almost as generous as Paul Heyman offering to take over complete control of TNA.

• Philly_Cheese says:

Heyman wanted complete authority over creative, and for good reason. TNA can't stick to a good story without trashing it for some reason or another. Heyman is a genius when it comes to the creative end of wrestling, but financially he's terrible. Honestly if I was in Dixie's shoes, I would brought Heyman in and gave him total control over creative, then just let him run with it for a while.

• Bigmike885 says:

I totally agree..its funny how she brought in Bischoff, who had one creative idea and a blank check and helped take down a HUGE company, and gave him almost full creative power. But she wouldn't let Heyman, who had NO money and ran a tiny company with nothing but creative ideas, and made stars out of guys who had no right being stars, have full creative control..

6. Sturk says:

TNA rarely has any news i've realized. I think WWE sites have more updates.

7. whatsup121 says:

this is from Konnan talking about the WWE "We don’t really know what we’re doing in Mexico, so you guys would stay in power"
    it's not rocket science it's called Lucha Libra (mexican styles wrestling)