Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Sep 6, 2013
Hulk Hogan Compares Himself To John Cena, Talks TNA

Hulk Hogan Compares Himself To John Cena, Talks TNA

The following are scattered highlights from a recent St. Louis Post-Dispatch Q&A with pro wrestling legend Hulk Hogan. You can check out the complete Q&A online at StlToday.com.

Why did you decide to officially sign with TNA in 2009?

I talked to Dixie Carter (president of TNA Wrestling) a couple of times. A lot of it was timing. I lot of it was I could live without the wrestling business but pursuing other projects, trying to reshift gears and move in a different direction business-wise, I realized no matter what I did, I was always thinking about wrestling.

It’s kinda like when you get addicted to chocolate or cigarettes or something, you gotta have your fix. It’s almost like wrestling is in your blood. … I got to the point where I got hooked on watching the TNA show.

I finally called Dixie back and told her I understand where I fit in. It was being addicted to being around the business. I thought I could shake it, but I’m still addicted to it. I just love being here. And the choice was made because I finally figured out that I could add to the mix, I could contribute and I could wrestle on a limited basis because I’m in the twilight of my so-called wresting career.

What obstacles did you encounter when you started working for TNA?

Communication was tough. The creative people were kind of a wild card. It was a situation where we all sat in a meetings and agree on creative directions. … We would agree on stuff, then I would sit back and watch the show and it was completely different than what we talked about earlier in the production meetings. … Those were the biggest hurdles I had in the beginning was why this perfect little unit wasn’t functioning as planned. The biggest obstacle was keeping people from going into business for themselves.

What is unique about TNA’s product today?

The majority of our time we stay consistent with storylines. I think we are really, really consistent with delivering the action and keeping the business in the ring as much as possible. There are certain times where you can watch a quarter hour and minute-by-minute and see where the girls are on there and doing certain things in the background, having a certain conversation. That works. We try not to go against the grain. But the majority of the time the people want the action in the ring and we try to be really consistent with that, and that’s what we are trying to do.

Which TNA young talent has the most star potential?

I’m pretty much torn between Jeff Hardy and AJ Styles. They both get it. They both have the “it” factor. It’s a toss-up because they both shine and they outshine each other certain times. I think either one of those guys has the potential to go on to greatness.

Have much creative control do you have over the company?

I do not control creative at all. I’m kind of like the last pass before we go out in front of the cameras. I will be here during the day listening to ideas and contributing, but at the end of the day, the decision lays in the hands of the writers and Spike TV because they have equal say in direction.

Creatively I’m not involved. I cannot even begin to tell you the direction of a story six months from now backwards. But I do, on a weekly basis, get very involved with development and make sure ‘OK you guys, you have to mention that Chris Sabin is having personal problems and he is not here this week’ and mention that Rampage Jackson wasn’t supposed to touch Tito Ortiz this week. I make sure that we stay within the parameters of that we’ve drawn for ourselves.

Compare your babyface Hulk Hogan character to WWE’s John Cena babyface character.

I don’t think you can compare the two. Everyone has their time and their moment, and the business changes on a daily basis. What we’re talking about today might not be relevant a week from now.

The John Cena I watch on TV, and know, started out being a Hulkamaniac when he was a kid. He said he fell in love with the wrestling business and had certain favorites and at the end of the day, simply because he is such a great performer in the ring and that he has been around so long. The last time I was in the WWE, he was just starting, which was about 10 years ago. It’s taken that long to develop his character — for him to be the man — for him to be one of the biggest leaders of all time of this business. And whether the fans boo him or whether the fans cheers for him, at the end of the day, they are loyal to him because he is a constant. They know he will deliver. He is going to always be there, and he is going to outperform anybody else around.

I think there is a lot of respect involved and whether (the fans) like him or hate him, they believe in him and respect him.

How is your relationship with Vince McMahon, owner of the World Wrestling Entertainment?

On a personal level we are fine. Business is business with Vince. At the end of the day, I’m not working there. Basically, Vince does what’s best for business for him. … On a personal level, Vince will give you the shirt off his back and I know that.

WWE character Darren Young told TMZ that he is gay. What do you think about having an openly gay wrestler in the locker room?

We’ll, its not the first time. It’s just become socially acceptable or it’s just social awareness now. One of the guys that started me in this business 35 years ago is gay and is still a very good friend of mine. It’s his personal choice if he wants the world to know what his sexual preference is. I respect that. …

The fact that Darren Young came out and had a reason for expressing his views and opinions, that’s great if it helps people which I think it will help understand that we are all the same but completely different and we should have mutual respect for everybody. I applaud him.

It wasn’t a big shocker to me because a lot of my friends are gay and they are all good people. I didn’t see the big deal, but I understand the media jumping all over the next next top story. I’m proud of Darren.

38 Responses to “Hulk Hogan Compares Himself To John Cena, Talks TNA”

1. WARISNAUGHTY says:

'Which TNA young talent has the most star potential? I’m pretty much torn between Jeff Hardy and AJ Styles.' Is 36 young? They are major players not 'potential starts' jesus christ! How about Magnus? Oh dear oh dear.

• ricky_No1 says:

Yea and as for Cena a great performer in the ring? He must be a moron if he thinks that. I honestly think Cena is one of the worst in ring performers i ever saw in the 30 years as a wrestling fan.

• Philly_Cheese says:

We're also talking about Hogan here… Hogan had a little in ring talent as Hogan did, they both just did/do the five moves of death.

• NotCookz says:

Some of Hogan's matches in Japan were technically sound.

• nwoforlife says:

hogan never got the credit for being technically sound because wwe did not want to show that side you can find some of his japan matches think you would see thing better hogan could go with the best

• Sturk says:

No Cena IS IS IS a great performer in the ring as Hogan was! Being a great performer doesnt always mean knowing how to wrestle really well. Cena knows how to tell a story in the ring which matters more than moves. WWE is #1 from the 80's until now not because of great wrestling but because guys knowing how to get the fans in palm of their hands by telling a story in ring.

• Dante_Cross says:

I was thinking the same thing. The interviewer meant break out stars like Magnus.

• DirkB says:

At Hogan's age, that is young.

• DarkNexxus says:

When I read that question, names that came to mind were Aries, Kazarian, Roode, Magnus and Styles of course. Not Jeff Hardy, he's been there. Then again, maybe it's just me and my wishful thinking.

• jbcissom says:

You do realize that Magnus is the only wrestler you mentioned who is under the age of 30, right? Everyone else you mentioned is 35 or 36.

• DarkNexxus says:

To be perfectly honest, no, I didn't know that. I don't base potential on age. I base it on how they move around in the ring, if they entertain (forgive me for saying that), then I believe they have potential for greatness. Hardy and Sting can entertain as well, but they've been around for years. They've been to the top so many times, it's not really a goal for them anymore. They've felt the glare of that spotlight many times on their face. Some of the ones I listed have felt the spotlight, but not the way the others have. So their older, but I don't think they've hit their prime yet.

• jbcissom says:

I get what you're saying, but if TNA is looking to build the company around a guy for the long-term, they need to do it with Mangus. It's not that I'm an AJ guy, because I am. Hell, that's been my biggest bone to pick with TNA is how they've handled AJ. TNA has had two great opportunities to have Sting "pass the torch" to AJ, only for them to screw it up horrendously. And I don't want to see that again. AJ deserves better. Magnus can be your lovable heel like Flair and Classy Freddie Glassy (if you don't know who I'm talking about, look him up). AJ can be the "face" dealing with him and whomever else until a new "face" shows up that AJ can pass the torch to.

• PennyAnd1 says:

What they need to do is make Jeff Hardy that awesome heel character before the drug incident. That one character had greatness written all over it.

• Vampirofan says:

So true. Just don't think Jeff will ever do it!

• PennyAnd1 says:

He should've mentioned Aries & Roode. Those two still have potentials untapped. Even Anderson. Anderson is a rare breed who's meant to play as the 'bad guy.' And he's freakin' good at it too. Imagine him being a loose cannon. It should've been him being the leader of Aces & Eights, although Bully Ray has done a great job. They should split the faction with Bully leading the Aces & Anderson leading the Eights.

2. Tiffanydude says:

Thank God Hulk doesn't have any real power in creative team, just imagining what he would do…………….ugh…..

3. Luchador says:

Hogan dosen't compare himself to Cena it was only a question

4. Philly_Cheese says:

"I knew I could bring my brand and bring awareness to the company and then behind the scenes, creatively, I could contribute and basically keep the art form alive with the timing, instinct and help the young guys. " He's done one of those things… He said before he does nothing involving creative, and has done nothing to bring awareness to the company.

5. godoftna says:

Sometimes I wonder if he ever bothers to read what he says in an interview and realizes how little sense he can sometimes make. He says one thing, and then proceeds to contradict his very own statements in the next sentence. He says he's the "last pass in creative before it goes in front of cameras", but before that he says he has no creative control. He says he has no input, but then says he's always pointing things out to make sure things stay "within the parameters" they've drawn for themselves. As for his comments about Cena, well obviously they have a lot in common. Cena IS the new Hulk Hogan. He constantly needs to be the top of the card, and the fans(aside from the kids)are sick and tired of his shtick. That's why people boo him. It has nothing to do with respect, it's because his character is old and boring as hell.

• OldManEaston says:

"He says he's the "last pass in creative before it goes in front of cameras", but before that he says he has no creative control. He says he has no input, but then says he's always pointing things out to make sure things stay "within the parameters"

Hogan is completely full of sh*t. I really don't think you can take anything the man says too seriously. If he rang my doorbell and told me my house was on fire, I'd have to go outside and look for myself before I believed him. I don't know why he says the things he does and contradicts himself all the time. Hogan's career seems to have been one long string of taking credit and positioning himself towards whatever he thinks is working or good press, and distancing himself from whatever he feels is not working and bad press. Everybody has always described Hogan as the ultimate "worker", a guy who is "always on", never just Terry. I supposed that at some point, he himself just lost the ability to separate the working from reality.

Bringing him into TNA is the single biggest mistake that Dixie Carter ever made.

• jbcissom says:

I'm starting to think HH is either missing some brain cells or he needs some intervention much like Angle received.

• jbcissom says:

And the biggest mistake… as big as HH has been, running the MEM storyline before resigning Booker and Nash ranks pretty high up there.

• nwoforlife says:

please before posting stupid shit get you fingers out of your dogs ass i think you people are so disrespectful your dad needs to whip your asses and then have his ass kick for raising a fuck up scum sucking d sucking piss-ant like you people

• jbcissom says:

"it's because his character is old and boring as hell"

Yeah, the pretty much sums the vast majority of the WWE for me. The only thing I'm remotely interested in in WWE (Bray Wyatt) isn't being put on TV, yet they pushed him (and his group) like crazy before they made their debut.

• nwoforlife says:

maybe your right the cheers he gets are coming from the 80s funny time to face it hogan would get the props from fans any-ware he goes because the real fans know who he is brother

• godoftna says:

If you took 2 seconds to read what I wrote, and knew what JB was referencing, you'd know that that comment was in reference to John Cena and why fans boo him. You may consider yourself 'nwoforlife', but what you truly are is a moronic jackass whose got his head crammed to far up Hogan's ass. Knowing who Hogan is has no bearing on whether or not people cheer him. Hell, I know who Motley Crue are and I think they suck ass too. You know, I used to be a 'Hulkamaniac' too, but then a funny thing happened. I grew up. Maybe you should try it sometime.

• jbcissom says:

For me, it's not just John Cena. It's Fandango, the pathetic excuse of the tag team of Brodus Clay and Prince Albert, the fact that WWE is pushing a tag team because a person on that team came out as gay (seriously, push the guy{s} if they're good, not for PR), the fact that WWE has basically turned Danielson into a modern day Chris Benoit and CM Punk into an early Y2J, and the fact that they have one entity (the Wyatt family) that could grow into a phenom like the Undertaker, and they're pushed aside for the Shield and this ridiculous McMahon-Helmsley What's Good for Business schlick…

I started watching TNA because of Sting. And guys like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Daniels, Kaz, and so on won me over. I can't say the same for TNA. Everyone bashes Russo, but even his whacked out crap was a helluva lot better than what's put on WWEtv now-a-days.

6. Sturk says:

Hey Hulk, Jeff Hardy has already went on to greatness! He's the biggest "younger" star in wrestling outside of Cena. We just forget that sometimes because he's with a smaller company that doesnt have the means to expose Jeff Hardys stardom. But one needs to simply go look at his last WWE run and the fan reaction to see how hugely popular he is.

7. Sturk says:

AJ Styles has achieved greatness in a small way working for TNA. He happened to come into his own while working for a start up company and may never reap the benefits of shining in front of 30,000 ppl. But the forefathers don't always reap the benefits. Thats life… although I hope he does.

• jbcissom says:

Just to be clear, from what I've read on other spots, the only time WWE performs in front of 10k+ people is when they do PPVs. From what I read on p w i n s i d e r . c o m, WWE has been averaging somewhere in the neighborhood of 5k to 7500 for attendence. Smackdown is roughly a little bit better than half of that.

8. whatsup121 says:

it is true, look at how many wrestlers started out as Hulkamaniac and got into wrestling

9. whatsup121 says:

that's what TNA needs is a hero for the next generation,

10. Real Deal Heel says:

Both Hulkster and Cena have carried companies…Both suck. I used to like WCW Hollywood Hogan but never cared for Cena other than his hell gimmick as a rapper which was ok. Both have drawn money…not from me tho in the current regimes.

11. BHENTERTAINMENT says: