Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Mar 24, 2013
Hulk Hogan: ‘I Wanted To Be Heel Against Ultimate Warrior’

Hulk Hogan: ‘I Wanted To Be Heel Against Ultimate Warrior’

In a newly published interview with Fighting Spirit Magazine, TNA Wrestling Superstar Hulk Hogan claims that he had proposed to turn heel six years before he actually did in World Championship Wrestling, during the 1990 build-up to his all-babyface WWF Championship match against Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania VI.

“Vince and I were best friends, but when we talked about money, we were enemies,” said Hogan. “So I went [to WCW] with the red and yellow, beat Ric Flair, and Hulkamania took off again. Then, creatively, I turned into a bad guy, which I always wanted to do in the WWF, but nobody wanted me to. I always said, ‘I could be the best bad guy ever. Just let me do it’, but no-one wanted me to be a bad guy.

“At Warrior’s time, I really wanted to fuck him as a bad guy; I wanted to beat The Ultimate Warrior in Toronto, but as a heel. I just thought it would be intense, and I would be the best bad guy ever. I could have done it, and then said, ‘Forget the prayers and the vitamins, I did it for the money!’ But it’s just creative differences, and Vince knows what he’s doing, believe me. I just wanted to try something different in the WWF.”

When Hogan turned heel to form the New World Order with Scott Hall and Kevin Nash at Bash at the Beach on July 7, 1996, he was very hesitant on the career-altering maneuver. Former WCW boss Eric Bischoff stated in his 2006 autobiography, Controversy Creates Cash, that Hogan was initially dismissive toward his idea of leaving the red and yellow behind to become a villain. Then shortly after Hall and Nash became a force on WCW programming, Hogan, who had not spoken to Bischoff in months, proposed that he be the third man in the group. Up until the pay-per-view event at Daytona Beach, Bischoff was unsure if Hogan would follow-through on the idea, and had Sting agree to join the New World Order in case “The Hulkster” changed his mind at the last minute.

To purchase the issue, click here.

13 Responses to “Hulk Hogan: ‘I Wanted To Be Heel Against Ultimate Warrior’”

1. Peckar says:

Sounds like Hogan was difficult to work with, even for his pal Eric.

• andy3323 says:

Not sure how you draw that conclusion based on what was written there. He says he had wanted to become a heel in WWF when facing the warrior, he goes to WCW and essentially re-launches Hulkamania. When asked about becoming a bad guy, he was unsure about it…..not far fetched, it had been a few years since he had thought about turning heel in WWF and had it shot down so he had probably moved on from the thought. He had spent his whole career building up hulkamania, even more time by this point and making a decision to turn heel would send shockwaves through wrestling, including merchandise sales, appearances outside of the ring, etc…..if it flopped, you're career takes a major hit. And lets face it, there are some way too emotionally involved fans out there that take seeing their childhood hero turning heel personally…..I'm sure you can't help but to think of that as well at least briefly.

• Peckar says:

You know, the bit where he says he wasn't sure if Hogan was going to do it and having a back up plan in case that happened. That would suggest he was difficult. And they are pals.

• rawuncutnxrated says:

Uh oh, you said something bad about the Huckster.. you're gonna get buried worse than being a WWF fan.

When he says Hulkamania took off again after beating Flair that is a bunch of horsesh*t. Hogan was stagnant as can be. He only turned heel when he saw others about to steal his spot. He only did it for the money & spotlight. Not anything as noble as "the business".. And him turning heel against Warrior is complete bs as well.

• andy3323 says:

Umm, hate to point out the obvious, but it looks like you're the one who got buried. Just sayin'….

I was 14 years old in 1996 and in my prime years as a wrestling fan, looking forward to Mondays only because of wrestling. May have been stale to you, but you come across as rather bitter overall to begin with, so I'm not shocked in the least bit you'd be ultra-critical about Hulk Hogan, etc.

• rawuncutnxrated says:

I can believe you had the prime of your life at 14. That was probably when you discovered how to rub one out. You peaked because you'll never get any real sex. Shame that you have about 60 yrs after 14 and nothing to look forward to, nothing to live for. Just rubbin' one out day after day. Probably your highlight of the day since you have no friends and go home & your mom heads out for a night on the town. She has more to live for than you ever will. Her biggest regret was not having that bortie & getting rid of the burden on her life that is Andy3323.

• Bigmike885 says:

dude..Hogan was being treated the same way then as Cena is now..People were sick and tired of him..expecially the fact that he was beating everyone..Flair, Vader, Ect…Turning heel gave Hogan another decade and a half in wrestling….but Bischoff was not the only one who says hogan was hesitant..and i dont buy for a minute that he wanted to turn heel in 90…at that point..there was more money in being the top face than a heel..it wasnt cool to be the heel then..and it would have killed Hogan..and he knows it.

2. SageStinger says:

Bash At the Beach 96' FTW!

3. Kyle says:

I wish Sting would have been the mystery partner and been in the orginal 3 NWO like they wanted when the idea first started being thrown around.

4. rawuncutnxrated says:

I will say that having Hogan be the 3rd member of the NWO was a lot better than is Stink was. Jesus can you imagine how horrible that would have been.

5. Mr. Excitement says:

Anyone getting tired of Hogan interviews?

6. annil8or4321 says: