Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Feb 23, 2013
Hulk Hogan Responds To CM Punk’s Recent Comments

Hulk Hogan Responds To CM Punk’s Recent Comments

Source: Fighting Spirit Magazine

Fighting Spirit Magazine is featuring another quote from a recent interview with TNA’s Hulk Hogan where he is asked to respond to a recent promo by CM Punk on WWE television where he said, in character, that guys like Hulk Hogan and Bruno Sammartino “had it easy” during their respective reigns as WWE Champion.

“CM Punk never had to walk into a dressing room where he wasn’t supposed to be. He never walked into Kansas City, where Harley Race was the champion for 20 years, where Harley had told all of his friends and neighbours that he was the only heavyweight champion, because he was the NWA champion. CM Punk never walked into Kemper Arena and had Harley Race put a gun to his head and say, ‘Get out of my town, kid’.

“So, does CM Punk have it easier than me? When I was flying 300 days a year, doing double-shots (Editor’s note: two shows in one day), and there was no Rock and no ‘Stone Cold’ around, but just me (as the main event guy) for the first 15 years? During the day, I was flying from New York and stopping in St. Louis, taking a TV station manager out to lunch, and then in the afternoon getting to the building early in another town, like Chicago, and cutting a TV deal before wrestling that night. So, no, I don’t think I had it easier than him.”

To view the full article, click here.

32 Responses to “Hulk Hogan Responds To CM Punk’s Recent Comments”

1. DJBIGCG says:

Hopefully punk and hogan can squash this before it becomes a twitter or facebook war. You know it's a trip that back in the day, a lot of wrestlers had to do a lot of work like wrestling here, then there and everything else in order to make a WHOLE BUNCH OF MONEY like the hulkster did, and there was no big commotion about it. But now when people do it, they complain the schedule is to hectic or to much work or whatever else. If it is to much for people, wrestling should eaz back on all of the traveling

2. rawuncutnxrated says:

CM Punk never had it easier than Hogan. Today's world in wrestling is much softer than it was in past times. I know Punk wrestled in longer matches & different kinds of matches but Hogan wrestled more often, traveled more often, and back then the arrangements to get around was more like Indy guys. The violence in locker rooms were at times out of control.

• hangers says:

So you mean Hogan never had it easier than Punk right?

• rawuncutnxrated says:

Hahaha… you are right. Talk about holy assbackwards! I meant Punk never had it harder than Hogan. Damn how did I mess that up so badly.

• Philly_Cheese says:

It's really a trade off, back during Hogan's era: the locker room was violent, wrestlers were out of control, they wrestled a lot of matches. The travel conditions weren't much different (flying coach is like riding a car, cramped and you'll get little to no sleep).

The thing is the industry changed a lot since hogan's time, you have matches that are far more grueling on the wrestlers physically. Hogan was never thrown off a ladder, slammed onto steel in an elimination chamber match, forced to go through matches that are over an hour long.

They have their trade offs, while punk doesn't have to wrestle as many matches and the locker room is safer, he's probably doing stuff that's more tolling on the body. Also Hogan talks about being in locker rooms you're not supposed to be in?… This stuff still goes on today, Tyler Reks even talked about it after his release. He stated that many wrestlers would kick everyone out of the locker room, or would treat the newer talent like garbage.

• hangers says:

Yea, i wouldnt want to say they have it easier now, they still have the same issues like working injured day after day shows etc. I think the matches were much more brutal back then and they took some serious bumps, in the pg era now the matches are softer, more jumping around but def softer, in the wwe at least..

3. Kyle says:

Dear Hogan,

Cry me a river.

4. nwoforlife says:

punk if you had to wrestle the guys hogan did you would not last a year i could see it now cm punk v Andre the Giant a finger poke and punk is done and guys like big john studd kamala Harley race king Kong and lots more punk would cry to mommy like a little girl punk be happy you were not wresting back then because you would not even be a mid card guy back then

• Bigmike885 says:

And you think Hogan would be anything if he was comming up now? He'd be just like Cena..Hogan was in the right place at the right time..and all those big guys put him over..passed the tourch..MADE Hogan..and you're right..Punk wouldnt have been a midcard guy was different back know who else wouldnt be around?..Styles..Daniels..any x-divison guys..most of TNAs locker room…

5. Leg Drop Jobber says:

Good ol' Harley Race. Always was a total bad ass!

6. DirkB says:

They asked Hulk to respond to CM Punk's statement from a show where Punk is a heel and puts down legends just to get a reaction? taken out of context much?

• jbcissom says:

Says the Punk mark.

Dude… if true sports historians would do the due diligence… especially in black history month… there's a sh!tload of stuff they could make huge $$$$ off of integrating wrestlers.

Punk has the perfect, best fitting moniker/name… Punk.

• Bigmike885 says:

you do get how wrestling works right?..Heels make comments..gets crowd to boo them..Thats what Punk did..he was putting himself on a pedistal to get people to hate him more. (and yes..i know..Punk has a very high opinion of himself) But he did something hogan could NEVER do..he got himself over..without a really good push..he MADE wwe push him…Hogan was force fed…

• Philly_Cheese says:

You're right, Punk managed to make himself huge. Punk did cut a promo on his own that put him over so much that he became one of the top stars in the company over night. As many said in the past, Hogan was just in the right place at the right time, and lucky enough to have people like Andre put him over. We all know that if people like Andre hadn't put him over like they did he would've never been as big as he was.

• tnadude says:

You may want to revisit history. McMahon tried to kill Hulkamania with the Ultimate Warrior, and we all know how that ended… So to say that Hogan was force fed is inaccurate. He got himself pushed, just like Punk did.

Also, before Hogan neither WWF or WCW flourished. CM Punk can't say that. Wrestlers today have it easier because of guys like Hogan who paved the way.

I do agree with those of you who are saying CM Punk's comments were taken in character and as a heel they should be ignored. So I extend my comments to all wrestlers today (including guys like Stone Cold and the Rock).

I will also say that while Hogan & VKM deserve the bulk of the credit taking wrestling mainstream, you can't deny guys like Andre & Piper who put them over, and guys like Sammartino & Harley Race who helped pave Hogan's way. There are more name that can be mentioned, but you get my point.

7. Treck says:

Well the thing is that, CM Punk is an internet whore. That is all who cares for him. Him and Paul Hymen. I think Hulk was sick of Punk disrespecting legends. Hey Punk when was the last time you wrestled to a crowd of 90,000 plus?

• Bigmike885 says:

When has Hogan?..WM 3 didnt have 90k plus..its been well documented that that number was padded (as all wrestling promtions tend to do) and was closer to 70-75..and if thats the case..Punk has done that a few times..

• tnadude says:

If the numbers are padded, then Punk's "official" number would have to be 90k+ just like Hogan's to be 70-75k, so I don't get your point.

Seriously, man – let's give Hogan his props for being the biggest draw of all time. The guy did put "rasslin" on the map. You can knock him for some of the dumb things he's done (like tweeting pictures of his daughter's legs amongst others), but to even joke that CM Punk is a similar draw is pure nonsense.

Again – nobody says you need to like him. But what's right is right. The guy has done things that will never be duplicated, and he deserves his props.

• Bigmike885 says:

My point was just that hogan has never done it either. That's it. I respect hogan for the stuff he has done. But the fact that he only really gives himself and the older guys props is kind of ridiculous. He didn't even give the rock props until the rock was his stepping stone back to relivanceSent from my iPhone

8. UCEAD11 says:

I do think promotions now are alot easier than they were in his era. Punk would not have been able to deal with the likes of Roddy Piper, Sanuka, One Man Gang, Kamala, Junk Yard Dog, Big John stud, Andre the Giant. Etc. A side note though, I was out trick or treating with my kids and came across the very house Harley Race lived in. I didnt mark out because I never liked the dude's character, but my wife sure did. Of course, my kids didnt know who he was. Just the guy giving them trick or treat candy.

• Bigmike885 says:

i acctually think Punk is one of the few from this era that could have survived (maybe not gotten over, but survived)….The only thing holding him back (and other guys like Bryan, Styles, ect) would be their size..they are all tough as shit..Hogan only made it though all his injuries because of steriods and a easy match set..

• tnadude says:

Now THAT'S cool! Getting candy from Harley Race!

Question for you: did you let them eat it? Harley was always a scary dude. The thought of my kids getting candy from him is scary even if I know it shouldn't be.

9. 2blackbelts says:

Interesting comments about Harley who lives a short ways from me. I'll either call him, or ask him the next time I see him about Hogans comments about him putting a gun to Hogans head.

• UCEAD11 says:

If thats the case…..Line Creek would be something familiar to you.

• tnadude says:

Gotta be honest – I don't believe that comment. My guess is that Harley threatened Hulk in some way, but nothing that could get him arrested. I'm thinking Hulk may have been high on crack at the time and lost his memory or something. Those are the kinds of stories that get embellished over the years.

Still kind of funny though.

10. fatboy21 says:

hogan should stop stop whining like a little girl. we all know that punk was just doing his job. he doesnt need to take it personal.

11. 2blackbelts says:

Linn Creek is just off HWY 54, going to Osage Beach, MO. I go through there about 2 times a week.

• UCEAD11 says:

Osage Beach is one of those well hidden places too that you can have a hell of a lot of fun. Its funny that place isnt well known outside of the midwest.

12. Matt Hardy says:

I can see Hogan's point, even though what Punk said is Kayfabe. It is a business, and it is a way for Hogan to take a shot at WWE, but it really doesn't matter because Hogan is not the face of TNA and can't be at his age. It is time to let it go Hogan. Hogan always seems to have a way of making mountains out of molehills. Besides the fact of the truth being somewhere in between. Yes it was tough in the territory days, for sheer amount of work, the atmosphere of the locker-rooms, no guaranteed contracts etc, BUT!! and it is a huge but! The opportunity for top guys to make money was simply better back then. They may have not made as much as today, but you have to take into consideration inflation and that the value of a dollar today is lower than what it was when Hogan was Vince's marquee guy. There is also a matter of there being exactly ONE place to work today in the world of wrestling to really make money. Guys can make some money in TNA, but not like when there were literally a dozen top territories to make a living. You get fired from WWE or to a lesser extent TNA and where are you going to go to make money today? Japan isn't having big tours for Gaijin wrestlers anymore. There is no NWA, No Canadian or European wrestling to speak of. No big Puerto Rico tours, and Mexico has never been a huge place to work for foreign wrestlers. So where are you gonna get a job? ROH? Chikara, PWG or other indies and have to have a job on the side? The economic opportunities are just not there today and you sure as hell have to give a lot more of your body to make it today than you did in the territories.

Anyone who has ever wrestled will tell you it is not necessarily the hour broadways, or working every night that puts the most strain on your body. Often it is the shorter matches today that put more torque on the human body. If you aren't working every night it only makes it worse. It seems like it would be exactly the opposite, but it isn't. Try to go wrestling once a month, or a couple times a month and do things other than rest holds and see what it does to your body. It is brutal. So yes, there is good and bad in both the modern and territory ways. I know that isn't his intention with this, but it really does sound like a "Back in my day", we walked 5 miles to school, up hill both ways, in a foot of snow, kind of thing.

The only thing that would make me choose to be a wrestler today vs yesteryear is the guaranteed contracts. Those are nice. No question about it, but only if you are one of the lucky few to get one. Other than that, wrestling is just not a long-term career for most guys anymore.

• tnadude says:

Nice post.

Personally, I'd say it was harder years ago. But at the same time, I'd also say I'd choose to wrestle in those years as well. The reason is control. Since Hogan & McMahon took the WWF to the national stage, the business has evolved. And it's not as good for the wrestlers as you said. The opportunity to do what Hogan did is now long gone, and with McMahon controlling gimmicks and what not, there's little room to be able to leave and do what you'd like.

So while I completely agree with you, I'd still take yesteryear because of the upside.

That said, I think I'll stick to my day job :).

• UCEAD11 says:

The thing about Harley though back in the day, He was extremely mean out of character. He wasnt exactly one of those fan favorite types. So there may be some credance to what Hulk Hogan was saying.

• Matt Hardy says:

All those guys had to be mean to protect their spots. It wasn't like today where you have WWE jobbers making at least 90,000 a year, guaranteed money, and having Vince pay for your injuries. Now granted that isn't much, especially considering travel and all the other expenses, but you can at least get by until you can earn big money. Guys like Harley earned only what they could draw. If they didn't draw that ***ht, they might leave with nothing. If you are Harley Race, you aren't going to let someone like Hogan just waltz in like he owns the place, to your territory that you have built up, because it means taking food out of your mouth. That is why and where Bruno says that somebody like Hogan didn't draw and says that is why Vince asked him to come back because Hogan killed the towns. He literally means that Hogan was one of those guys who went to territories that were drawing, not BUILT territories into draws, and couldn't maintain the draw doing his limited rotations as champion. Hogan probably doesn't even understand why Bruno would say that, because Hogan was one of "those guys", but that is why he said it.