Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Jan 29, 2013
Hulk Hogan Says ‘Never Say Never’ To In-Ring Return

Hulk Hogan Says ‘Never Say Never’ To In-Ring Return

Hulk Hogan recently spoke to Sky News Radio while promoting TNA’s UK tour. Check out the highlights:

On wrestling again: “Well, I’ve learned in this business to never say never. As time goes by, I live vicariously through the younger talent. I was telling my wife Jennifer the other day that I’m in the U.K. and I can’t believe that I’m not ego-talking and I’m not the main event. I can’t believe I’m not wrestling Kurt Angle or I can’t believe I’m not wrestling Jeff Hardy. But, that was just the young heart talking. Then, I took a good look in the mirror and I realized that the old man couldn’t do it. I mean, I never say never. If there was a situation where my daughter Brooke might get in a bad spot or something goes awry, you never know. I could roll in there, pick up a steel chair or throw a punch or something. So, you can never say never.”

On how wrestling changed when he won the WWF Title in 1984: “It was more than just my career, it was the turning point of the wrestling business to switch gears and fast-forward into the entertainment direction. It started with the world title on the line at Madison Square Garden: Hulk Hogan vs. The Iron Sheik. It was the pefect storm. Iron Sheik had just beaten the mainstay, Bob Backlund, who had been champion for five years. America was at conflict with Iran/Iraq as far as the political situation between the countries. Hulk Hogan was viewed as the American hero and all the elements lead to the very, very perfect confrontation between good vs. evil. But, what came out of that was a different performance level. It wasn’t just a wrestling match with good vs. bad with good prevailing. it was the birth of entertainment in this business. As I looked to the crowd, the look and the reaction from the crowd got just as much as acknowledgment as the move in the ring. As soon as I realized how important it was to interact with the crowd, I changed my whole mindset as far as my work in the ring. I realized that the crowd was living vicariously through me. I better acknowledge them and not just stay focused on my opponent. So, it was kind of like the beginning of the entertainment being born that day.”

On working with Paul Orndorff in front of 70,000+ fans in Toronto: “Yeah, that night especially caught everyone off guard. I had never worked at the CNE Center and I figured we’d have 6,000-7,000 people. When we got there and it was 70,000+, I went, ‘Oh, my God.’ That was a nice surprise. But, I knew the chemistry was there with Paul Orndorff. It just depended on him and how good of a businessman he wanted to be and how big it could have gotten. Paul Orndorff was a businessman. He got a little stubborn at times, but basically he was a businessman and we did consistent business. His work was just so incredibly good. It was good and bad for me (because) I felt like I had been in a car wreck when I got out of the ring working with him. But, his stuff was so good, solid and intense that he just knew how to really turn that dial up and make people believe and make people hate him. Which made it easier for me as far as selling, making huge comebacks and making the buildings rattle. So, he was an on-going opponent that I made a ton of money with. He was really good at what he did.”

On guys that he never worked big programs with: “Yeah, there was a situation because there was so many people to choose from. There was the ‘Macho Man’ and Kamala, who did great business everywhere. There was Bob Orton, Jr., Don Morocco. There were tons of guys — Earthquake, One Man Gang — I could go on and on. There were several guys where there would be a feel in the ring or you could tell right away. That’s how everything worked with me, I had to hear it and feel it with the instinct thing. I got into a situation with Jake ‘The Snake’ where he had his Piper’s Pit, I don’t know if the name of the show was The Snake Pit. It was an interview show. We did something there which was the beginning of a major story line for Jake and myself. We went to Providence and we worked one night and that was pretty much it. It was like we were at a funeral. I just kind of realized that something wasn’t clicking and we kind of move on and moved passed it. … I don’t know what it was. There was a Hulk Hogan style at the time that was real easy and there were several trains of thought with probably about six or seven ways to go to make things perfect. For some reason, Jake and I did not fit in any of those categories. I tried my best and he tried his best but we just couldn’t dance with each other. It wasn’t right. I just didn’t want to run this thing out for six months to a year when there were so many other people like the ‘Macho Man’ and everybody else and it was so red-hot. So, it just didn’t work for whatever reason.”

23 Responses to “Hulk Hogan Says ‘Never Say Never’ To In-Ring Return”

1. Buff Daddy says:

Whose gonna bash him first? I’m sure he said something in there to piss one of you nerds off!

• godoftna says:

I'll admit that when I saw the headline to the article, I instantly thought "o dear god, please no!" But after reading the article…well I have to say it's one of the best interviews he's given in a long long time. He gives some solid reads on his time in the WWF as well as his current mind set in the business. I'm actually glad to say that it truly seems like Hogan is finally coming to terms with his new role in the business.

2. Tiffanydude says:

I have no problem with Hulk wrestling in TNA unless his match is the main freakin event then I'll be pissed or there's other wrestlers carrying the match.

• kevinroulette says:

Yeah me to but I don't want to hulk really mess he's back up. He just really d damage and not walk again. No body wants see that happen .

• Tiffanydude says:

Yea true I feel bad for Hulk for the all the back surgeries he had, it's nice to have a nostalgia match but is it really worth the injury and damage? Guys like Hulk, Jake, Hall had the best bodies back in the day and now look at them, to me it's kinda scary what this business can do to you.

• rawuncutnxrated says:

Jake who? Roberts never had a "body".. how old are you? You gotta be like 10 or 12 and not know d*ck about wrestling.

• Tiffanydude says:

And how is you acting like Jerk relevant to anything again? Besides my point was (if your were paying attention you Jobber) the Wrestling business can destroy your body if your not too careful.
            All these guys who were on top of the world hit rock bottom (no pun intended) And to this day a lot of these guys still wanna wrestle but their bodies have taken too much damage to get in the ring like Hall and Roberts, Hulk might have a couple in him but to me it's not worth the damage to his body.

• Philly_Cheese says:

Right, he needs to learn to step away from wrestling in ring. He gets in that ring and risks paralyzing himself permanently, then TNA has to run that risk of him suing the company in return.

• rawuncutnxrated says:

Sue TNA for what? Sting's contract? They don't have any money to sue for.

• Philly_Cheese says:

If Hogan goes in that ring and permanently injured himself, then TNA would be liable for it. It's the same reason why WWE didn't want anything to do with Hogan, and why they wouldn't allow Flair to wrestle. Flat out, people who are prone to injury or at risk of injury are a liability.

3. Treck says:

I do not want to see him crippled but I think he knows his wrestling career is over. I think he was just saying that to keep people guessing. I am sick of the Hogan bashing as well. Thankfully no tool here

4. ViceyThaShizzle says:

Can't he just be content with throwing a few oversold punches now and then?

5. hangers says:

Please Hulk, do us all a favor and just say never..

6. Sturk says:

Why do people get on here and say "I dont mind if he wrestles just not in the main event." Hulk Hogan is a special attraction in ANY company he is in & the few times he decides to wrestle it will ALWAYS be in the main event slot because he IS a special attraction. If Hulk went to WWE tomorrow when he decided to wrestle it would be in the main event because thats money & ratings & you'd be foolish to not book such an icon in the main event.

• tnadude says:

My thoughts exactly. Your age has nothing to do with whether you're in the main event. It's your drawing power.

If Hogan gets in the ring, people are going to come to see him, so make it a big deal and give it the main event slot. That's why people will buy, and people want to buy the main event – not a side show. So give the fans what they want and give him the main event.

That said – he still needs to stay away from the ring. It's too dangerous for him and frankly, because of it – he can't perform a level even remotely befitting of his stature in the business.

• Sturk says:

Thing is Hulk has stayed away from the ring aside from a few occasions. So when he does it will be the main event for the reason that its rare. I don't mind seeing the Immortal every now & then. Sting is my fav of all time & I get so mad that he is used often. Though i'd miss him if he stopped being full time on Impact i'd still appreciate it more if it was rare. He's treated as common on TNA.

• tnadude says:

That brings up a pretty good point – Is Sting full-time or not? He tends to run for a few months, and then disappear for a while, run, disappear, rinse and repeat.

I do agree with the part about him being treated as "common". He deserves better, but it could also be that he thinks of himself as a roster member and doesn't want the "special attraction" label either.

Completely agree with you though.

• Sturk says:

thats true! I think Sting the man who's a humble guy who believes in Jesus Christ kinda kills the character a bit which is not a bad thing. Sting the Christian just wants to be one of the guys and not someone who is viewed as better than the other guys on the roster. Where as Hulk he'd love to be viewed still to this day as bigger and better if he could still move haha. Yeah Sting does disappear about twice a year haha but you know what I mean. Bringing up another subject i'm tired of Sting in that black. He doesnt have to dye his hair blonde or anything but I wish his outfit was more colorful. Black sting was for a reason which was the the fact that WCW turned on him & he wanted vengences on NWO. That storyline ended decades ago lol. I think he will do it for WWE one day tho. He will give WWE the crow Sting & the colorful Sting one of these days. I feel it.

7. rawuncutnxrated says:

Was a good interview. I personally always wondered why him & Snake never tangled. I just have a hard time believing that match was dead.

• tnadude says:

I liked Jake. I loved Damien. Actually – Damien was awesome.

I'm not sure that Jake was exciting enough for the main event though. I never saw him in the same light as those guys.

I will say this though – how cool would it have been if Jake would have beaten Hulk down and then put Damien on top of Hogan? Kind of hard to think that couldn't have gotten over with the fans.

8. annil8or4321 says:

i dont think jake was the best wrestler not shite by any means but his promos were excellent

9. THISISASHOOT247 says:

Here's to hoping Bane takes a break from Batman and onto Impact and breaks Hogan's back for good if he ever tries to make an in-ring return!!!