Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Mar 21, 2013
Hulk Hogan Says Sting Refuses To Go To WWE

Hulk Hogan Says Sting Refuses To Go To WWE

Hulk Hogan recently did an interview with FSM Magazine. When asked about Sting, he said he tried to get Vince McMahon to sign him after WrestleMania III. Here are some highlights:

“I have unbelievable respect for Sting – he doesn’t realize how good he really is. Sting should have already had his New York (WWE) run. I’ll tell you something; when I got red-hot after WrestleMania III, I was begging Vince to get Sting in the WWF so I could turn heel at some point. He had the blonde hair, he was 10 times more athletic than me, and I believed this guy could have the same run as Hulkamania, but take it 10 times bigger. I was telling Vince (McMahon), ‘Let me get this guy over’, because after beating Andre, if they’d brought Sting in and had him beat me, it would have made him this tall (gestures with his hand above his head). But Sting wouldn’t come; we tried and tried, but he just would not jump. Vince even talked to him last year, but still Sting wouldn’t go.”

56 Responses to “Hulk Hogan Says Sting Refuses To Go To WWE”

1. Tiffanydude says:

Did Hulk actually say someone was BETTER than him?……… Are Horses eating each other? lol Jk
    Awesome for Sting that he never signed to WWE, they would've done some terrible Doink vs Sting match or Doink & Sting Tag Team run.

• toddmikki says:

Umm yea you idiot, he says it all the time, athletically alot our better, BUT no one was a bigger character, better speaker, or larger face of an industry than THE HULK HOGAN!

• rawuncutnxrated says:

You do know that Sting & Warrior were a tag team in the Mania 3 days known as the Blade Runners right? Also, Doink wasn't a thing during this time period. This is just Hogan twisting the knife at Warrior. Sting could have had a good run in NY during those days. The things you TNA b*tches say is just incredible. Look at the run Warrior had, Hogan is trying to say that Sting would have been bigger & better than that, and that Mania 6 should have been Sting.

• tnadude says:

Still blows my mind that those two came into the business together. Polar opposites.

• rawuncutnxrated says:

I hear that. Sting, for not being a great worker was light years ahead of Warrior. They shared more in common in the ring than out of it. If you watch Sting in his early incarnations you can see a lot of them. Now, out of the ring, where they are especially today, wow.. I don't even know how they could be friends. Paula Abdul had to be singing about those 2.

• Justbringit says:

Sting wasn’t a good worker? Are you kidding me?! He was an amazing wrestler in both his youth & prime.

• Pippin0490 says:

It's extremely funny that you should say "the things you TNA b*tches say is just incredible" when you come out with constant piles of crap, usually unsupported assertions about TNA.

How many times have you said:

"TNA is going out of business" "When TNA eventually fails and goes out of business" "TNA will inevitably have to close down" "Spike TV are going to drop TNA" "Spike TV are very unhappy with the ratings TNA gets and are going to drop them" "TNA won't get another TV deal and will go out of business very soon"?

Not to mention that you'll come out with such bullsh*t as:

"TNA is notorious for not paying people".

A simple look at your post history shows that 99% of your comments are blind abuse towards TNA, constantly saying they're going out of business, mocking any good news and then calling anybody that offers a differing opinion or calls you on your utter bullsh*t a "TNA B*tch/Mark/Fanboy" *Rolls eyes*

The only thing more annoying than a TNA fanboy/mark is people or WWE fanboys/marks that blindy attacking TNA and it's fans and posting constant bullsh*t about TNA.

Grow up!

• rawuncutnxrated says:

Child please. 99%? You need some math lessons. I may not give your precious TNA credit but I'll give those in the company that actually deserve it credit when I feel it is deserved & earned.

I'm glad to see you took the time to go back and fine so many of my quotes. True enough I have been wrong at times but then again you have taken all of them out of context just to prove whatever TNA fanboy point you are trying to make. That is fine, I wouldn't expect anything less from a b*tch.

• Pippin0490 says:

Thanks for proving my point. I rest my case.

• DarkNexxus says:

Out of morbid curiosity, why would you hang around a Precious TNA news site if you don't like or give credit to our precious TNA?

• rawuncutnxrated says:

There are things about TNA I like. I'm just not a blind follower of everything that is said. I liked this weeks Impact a lot. That said, I can't say that I can forget the past 9mths of BS that TNA made people swallow just to get to this point. I know that many people have been lost in those 9mths that will never tune back in. I'm sure they will get new eyeballs & maybe some people come back, but to what cost. They should be building, not trying to break even.

I come to this site to chat, I like the TNA moderates here. Not the extremists that drink up all of the kool-aid. And if someone disagrees with TNA they are marked as some sort of WWE fan. I've been watching it for years on this site now. I had enough & to those people I have no problem pissing all up in their face. The people that come here & can have discussions & even disagreements but still be civil are the ones I respect. The rest I don't & I think anyone can tell who I have disdain for. In the same vein, the people that talk sh*t on the guy who runs the site who puts in his hard work just for some chumps to talk trash on, I'll piss on them too. In closing, I do like TNA, let me rephrase this.. I like some of the workers, I like a few behind the scenes & I'll tune in sometimes to support them. I was a voice that was pushing for TNA to be #1. I was part of that revolution about 11yrs ago.

• kevinroulette says:

I've heard hogan say sting was better long before this plus he said flair was the best . Then flair said hogan was . So yes I've heard him say it b4 . I like hogan and think without him wrestling wouldn't be what it is today with him

• rawuncutnxrated says:

He def has a key place in history. Sometimes those who our heros as kids turn out to be real scum bags in RL. I don't think Hogan is a total scumball, but I doubt I can't consider him a role model.

2. The Truth says:

Ya right hogan wanting to put anyone over? LMFAO ask jake Roberts ask Brett and so on shit even ask the bird man KOKO Beware! Hogan is saying that because he works with the Stinger now!

• rawuncutnxrated says:

And to add to it, look how hard they had to twist Hogan's arm to get him to job out to Warrior. And he's not just saying it because Stinker works w/ him now, he's also saying it because it makes people talk about him & try to get some of the negative smell off of himself from the old days. People like "Tiffanydude" are prime examples of idiots that have no knowledge of wrestling history that will eat this stuff up. And people on this site love it because "it gets people talking about TNA."

3. andy3323 says:

Much respect for Sting, he knows where he is happy and doesn't just look at the dollar signs and such. Loyalty is (sadly) so hard to find these days, especially in sports. Probably why I was sad to see Chipper Jones retire, might be one of the last guys we see start and end his career with one pro team…..very small group.

• toddmikki says:

Dont forget Justin Verlander with the Detroit Tigers, the greatest pitcher to ever breathe!

• ToledoDavid says:

I've been a Tigers fan my whole life, and Justin is a great pitcher, but he can't get rocked in every BIG game he pitches in…All Star Game…World Series game…yes, he can be one of the all time greats, and I hope it happens, but he needs to win the BIG games, first.

• CaptainN says:

Mario Lemieux did it with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL. Some people have it in them, most don’t.Loyalty is a rare trait these days unfortunately.

• TNARULEZ says:

First off Pedro freaking Martinez! Best pitcher I have ever seen!!! Probably top 3 all time! Secondly Roy Halliday, could be better than verlander when it’s all said and done! But now because of age verlander is better

• Bigmike885 says:

Derrek Jetter anyone?…

• ToledoDavid says:

Chipper is right up there with my all time favorite, Al Kaline, and my second favortie, Mike Schmidt…

4. (CHI) NWO 4-Life WCW Guy says:

Honestly ive followed stings entire career since i was born in 87, ive seen all his matches and i have to say he is 1 of my all time 3 favorite wreslters, and 1 of the top 5 greatest of all time, and i admire his loyalty to wcw and now tna, no question sting will go down as the face of wcw he was there from beggining to end, and now his loyalty to tna, he hasnt been with tna since its beggining but pretty close to it, lets face it, tna sucked its 1st 5 years, say wat you want its my opinion they had sum good matches when i see them on youtube n what not but sting is a face of tna not the face but he made them a much bigger company, point of all this is, i wouldve liked to have seen 1 of the greatest ever work a wrestlemania main event and get put over, he deserves it, sting although old and slower now wasnt alwayz like this kids, he was the man back in his day, and still can put on a better match than most wrestlers in theyre prime. Im torn, while i love and admire sting and his loyalty i wish sometimes to myself he would work just 1 wrestlemania, lets face it for now wwe is the flagship program, it sucks but mania is the # 1 wrestling show, the superbowl, than finals, the championship game, its wrestlemania, sting get 1 in before its too late, you have wrestlemania 30 stinger, just do it because past that it will be too late.

5. piro4351 says:

i believe hogan genuinely likes Sting, because unlike so many others i believe Sting to be one of the few that always have a lot of respect for other wrestlers especially older ones and ones that are ''bigger''. Sting has always been a dolphin in a sharks pool, he is just a good guy and i ve to this day never ever heard anyone in the entire industry say a bad word about Sting. that should not be unnoticed.

6. Bigmike885 says:

For some reason i doubt this…Sting wasnt even close to Huge when WM 3 came around..and the ONLY reason Hogan turned heel with the NWO was because he was about to lose his spot because he populatiry was waining…Just Hogan blowing smoke again…

• Peckar says:

Couldn't agree more Mike. At Hogan's peak the last thing on his mind would have been putting some relatively unknown over.

• rawuncutnxrated says:

Almost. Here's what you should have said.

Couldn't agree more Mike. At Hogan's peak the last thing on his mind would have been putting ANYONE over.

• DarkNexxus says:

WrestleMania III was the third annual WrestleMania professional wrestling pay-per-view event produced by the World Wrestling Federation (WWF). The event was held on March 29, 1987 at the Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan.

Having established himself as a rising star, Sting was one of the few UWF alumni to be pushed in the NWA. At the inaugural Clash of the Champions in March 1988, Sting challenged Ric Flair for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. The match ended in a draw after the 45-minute time limit expired and the ringside judges could not declare a winner.[2][14] Sting lost to Flair in several non-televised rematches following the Clash and, later that year, battled other members of Flair's stable, the Four Horsemen. Sting teamed with Koloff at The Great American Bash in July 1988 to challenge Horsemen Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson for the NWA World Tag Team Championship; Blanchard and Anderson retained the titles when the match ended in a 20-minute time-limit draw.

Maybe not close, but he was on the rise. HH was fighting Andre that month and Sting was going after Flair and the gold. So Maybe, and I do say maybe, HH was trying to push him over in the WWE, though from what I heard about HH in those days, he was more into running a show than bringing up other talent.

Oh yeah.. I r not that smart :p The info about wrestlemania and sting are from Wikipedia.

• Pippin0490 says:

Clearly you're not that smart as you missed that there was a year difference between WrestkeMania III (March 87') and Sting going for the gold over Flair (March 88') 😉 Especially funny as you later said "HH was fighting Andre that month and Sting was going after Flair and the gold."

• DarkNexxus says:

I am ashamed! You're absolutely correct, I did miss that and upon further review (of the wiki) it says Sting arrived in NWA in July, 1987 which is nearly 4 months after Wrestlemania. Therefore (to get some dignity back) HH must be lying through his teeth! In fact, Sting was still in the UWF and was put on a back burner by Dusty Rhodes. So quite correct, Plus one for you, my friend!

• Pippin0490 says:

Ah, I'm glad you didn't take offense to my comment. :)

Don't know why you have been "voted down" though, all you've done is admit an error on your part and posted some factual information. Ah well.

• DarkNexxus says:

They love to hate me? :) It's all good. I made a mistake, you caught it and pointed out. Nothing to be offended about. Have a great weekend Pippin!

• Pippin0490 says:

I say, what a delightful reply. Have a great weekend yourself, dear fellow.

• tnadude says:

True. And cudos for you to admit you made a mistake.

But does it really matter? Isn't it possible that Hogan has WMIII confused with WMIV or WMV? I mean, for crying out loud, it was d@mned near 30 years ago.

Isn't it just possible that Hogan was off by a year or so? That's what I thought when I read the article. And TBH – most of his accounts are a bit time skewed anyway.

Just my $.02…

• jbcissom says:

Why don't you reread Hogan's comment. He said after WMIII. It is never stated how long after WMIII, just that it was after.

7. The Truth says:

Yup big mike! You are OK in my books no one can bullshit us bro! And we see right through hogans smoke and mirrors!

8. UCEAD11 says:

sting doe's s not like what the wwe sponsors. he doesn't like vince McMahon…that's why he wont sign with the WWE…. probably doesn't care for HHH either….

9. godoftna says:

I have high doubts about Hogan wanting to bring Sting to the WWF following Wrestlemania 3 so that he could "put him over" as Hogan wants to put it. Hogan seemingly refused to put anyone over in his time in the WWF. Hell, he refused to drop the belt to Bret Hart once because he felt that Hart was "too small". Just look back at Starrcade 97. Hogan couldn't give Sting a clean victory there, so why would he have wanted to put him over back then? Nope, sorry Hulkster, no points for you this round.

10. DirkB says:

Sting himself said he was VERY close to signing with WWE a couple of years back.

11. hangers says:

I take this story with a big grain of salt that Hogan really wanted to put Sting over after beating Andre at WM 3. I cant really recall Hogan putting anyone truly over as far as I can remember, except maybe for Warrior, and he got his revenge in that case..

Nothing but respect for Sting, he really has supreme integrity, never sold out, truly the icon..

12. Mr. Excitement says:

Right Hogan…
    If you were refusing to put others over to remain the highest paid wrestler, why would you want to put him over? Talk is cheap.

13. ToledoDavid says:

One's memory clouds after so many back, hip, and knee surgeries…

14. jbcissom says:

I don't agree with what Hogan is saying in general, but for those of you doing the timelines, Hogan did say after WMIII, not during.

15. dcxboxx says:

i remember reading pro wrestling illustraited mgazines back in the late 80s to attitude era and every so often you would get a story on wwf/e trying to get sting

• rawuncutnxrated says:

You might get a story like that, but the over whelming was the dream match of Hogan/Flair. I remember many an article being written about that. WWF really screwed the pooch on that in '91. When Flair left I couldn't forgive WWF for not pulling the trigger on that feud. I quit watching WWF altogether for years after that.

• dcxboxx says:

lets not forget at that same time wwf had randy savage but also ricky steamboat on his 2nd wwf run and he left shortly after flair came. wwf could have had flair vs steamboat tear it up on wwf tv at the time. toss in savage for a 3 way dance. and then flair vs hogan and mania. bring in sting. and unfortunate arn anderson and tully blanchard left wwe just as flair was going to wwf. imaging bringing in windam or moving mr perfect to the horsemen. in the wwf. could have been a seriously epic time for the wwf at that point if vince could have done all of those things.

16. kevinroulette says:

Your right .

17. Treck says:

I always was sick of Hogan winning over and over but damn the hate I had was no where near the hate I see now. Hogan was very popular. So who decides to have him remain a strong force as champion in the 80s? Who writes for him to be champion in the 90s? Blame Vince McMahon. Blame Eric Bischoff for wanting to get money. Like Hardy. People hated him as champion. But who in tna does the fans pop hardest for? Stop the Hogan hate.

18. Darkelzallon says:

Sting is the franchise of WCW and TNA. As a matter of fact, he is one of the TNA Origins, the guy that was here since the Asylum. AJ Styles, James Storm, Daniel, Bobby Roode, and Sting are the people who truly build this TNA and enable it to grow up until today.

19. Cezar_TheScribe says:

Hogan giving up the spotlight and money to anyone is laughable.

Remember, Hogan didn't like the story or match at Halloween Havoc and just walked out and laid down in the ring, instead of wrestling.