Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Jul 7, 2013
Joey Ryan Reveals How TNA Gut Check Really Works

Joey Ryan Reveals How TNA Gut Check Really Works

Joey Ryan recently spoke with ITRLive about his TNA run and more. Check out the highlights:

On getting into TNA: “Through David Lagana. I worked with David Lagana in a few places actually Ring of Honor, NWA Hollywood and then he booked me for Ring Ka King in India. Then he got hired to be a writer in TNA and they were looking for guys. He suggested me to Al Snow and Al Snow saw footage of me and decided to make me a GutCheck contestant. It kind of happened quickly. They called me up and Al Snow asked if I would be interested and I said yes. He said, “Alright, I’ll see you next week”. There wasn’t anything I had to sit on really.”

On TNA GutCheck: “They literally don’t tell you anything. I was the second ever guy to do GutCheck. The first GutCheck was Alex Silva. There was that whole thing where Ric Flair changed his decision on Alex Silva. You see, I don’t know how much of that is really a shoot or not. I think they brought me in particularly to be a “No” because they just needed somebody from the indys to make this seem more legitimate and told “no”. I think that was a work on their part. I think when I wrestled and I had a good match against Austin Aries, thank God I had to wrestle Austin Aries, then I came in and did my promos and stuff like that, even before I was in front of the judges, they weren’t telling me I was going to get a “No”, but I had a few people telling me things. Like Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan came up to me and said, “Hey, we like your look, we think you are good. No matter what happens out there, we want to do something with you hopefully down the line”. They were hinting that I was going to get a “No” vote. I was already going in there portraying a heel character so I knew going into this that I wasn’t just going to go out there, be told “No” and walk away with my tail between my legs. I’m going to be adamant about it. I was going to be myself, a guy who has been told “No” for the last 12 years by major companies. After I did that promo, there was talk of me going around. They were saying to themselves, “How can we use this guy?” Before that, there was nothing planned for me.

On the mood backstage following the GutCheck segment: “Well I don’t know if they do this anymore but there were cameras all over the place. Everyone was still filming me. I had an argument with Al Snow in the back. Was it a worked shoot? I don’t know. He was yelling at me, I thought it was pretty intense. I knew cameras were on too so I wasn’t sure. Once the cameras cut, Eric Bischoff approached me and told me, “That was incredible! That’s what the segment should be! That’s what live TV is all about!” He has a producer’s mind. He was the one who came up to me and was the most vocal about it all.”

On Taz backstage following the GutCheck: “Taz is kind of a hard-ass. I think he knew but I don’t think he liked me right off the bat because of that. He’s a prideful person, he is very proud of his wrestling and I was bad-mouthing his wrestling. I think he got to the point where he realized that I was doing anything I could to get a job.”

On signing with TNA: “I actually got a call from Bruce Prichard the next day saying, “We got a contract for you”. I signed it and faxed it back to them. At that point, I don’t really know if they knew where the storyline was going to go at that point. They just wanted to capitalize on any hype that happened.”

On teaming With Matt Morgan: “Don’t know, it was a little hard to pull off because Matt is this unstoppable monster. I’m just this small guy. Matt would just look stupid if I just keep costing him all of these wins. I don’t think it went the way they planned it. I don’t know if this didn’t go the way they planned or if they just didn’t think about how long they could keep this up. It just gets to the point where you think, how long is Matt going to stick with this guy that isn’t winning. We were tagging against Chavo and Hernandez. I think they used me as a fall guy to keep Matt Morgan protected.”

On the negative rumors about TNA contracts: “I had a great contract. I got a monthly salary and a bonus whenever I did wrestle. So yeah, I had a great contract. They said, “Hey, I want to pay you” and I said, “Great, I like getting paid”.”

On his release from TNA: “I knew there had been some office cuts and to be honest, I knew after the Matt Morgan stuff as they used me so sparingly. I think I did a PPV match that was unannounced. I did the referee stuff with the Knockouts. Then I did the random X-division 3-way match so. When I wasn’t being used, I was at home collecting paychecks, so I kind of knew that this was too good to be true. They are paying me to sit at home for months now. Part of me said, I know Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff like me so there’s some pull there so maybe they are waiting to come up with something for me. I got the hint myself when I was just sitting at home getting paid.”

On being notified of his release: “Al Snow called me and said “This isn’t anything against you or your work, this is just budget cuts”. I know they are on the road now and that’s much more expensive. I think they are just trying to make the company as profitable as possible. It was a decision they had to make. They had to cut guys without affecting the current storylines. I’m not bitter about it. I understand why. I don’t have anything bad to say about anyone there. It’s just a business thing.”

19 Responses to “Joey Ryan Reveals How TNA Gut Check Really Works”

1. mrbirdy1 says:

So much for all the “TNA doesn’t pay & or pays low” comments huh??

2. TwIsTeD_EnEmY says:

Im still not convinced the shoot Joey Ryan did was real, nomatter how much i hear that it was

3. Luis says:

I can see WWE signing him as Backlash

4. Tiffanydude says:

Huh? I expected Sleazy Joey Ryan not the "Real" Joey Ryan, I expected negative comments and insults towards TNA, but Joey seems like a respectable person and knows the business pretty well, thankfully there wasn't any emotional or negative tension between Impact and Joey, Thank you Joey hope they rehire you back soon, after they get they're Finances in order!
    It's kinda cool that the Gut Check Contenders don't get told yes or no until after their matches makes it much more believable and actually feels like a contest.

5. IHNSAIN says:

joey ryan done good here tbh very professional but he did not reveal how gut check relly works

• Dante_Cross says:

He did. Aside from what we already know, there isn't much else to it.
      He stated that they look for talents and see who is interested, and if you are, they will call you to show up almost immediately, so it's not a long distance plan deal. He also showed how TNA doesn't have plans for these guys unless they get some interest from the fans.

6. godoftna says:

Good interview with some solid insight. Interesting to hear that TNA was paying out"guarenteed" money and then paying a bonus for when they used him. Not sure how most wrestlers contracts work today, but paying someone a bonus for showing up like they are supposed to when you are paying them already sounds like poor decision making. Maybe this is how things get done in the WWE too, not sure. Perhaps the bonus he spoke of is actually an appearance fee paid as part of his deal with the regular checks being more of a retaining fee. IDK. Would be interesting to get more insight on how the contracts are regularly structured, not only in TNA, but also in the WWE or ROH.

7. RavenNevermore says:

I would like to see gut check have its own show. Change ovw to gutcheck then the three judges can say who comes and goes to tna.

• Tiffanydude says:

Do you know the purpose of Gut Check and OVW?
      Gut Check is for recruiting Indie Wrestlers with the possibility of earning a contract.
      OVW is a Wrestling School, Training Facility and Developmental Territory for TNA Wrestlers.
      How would shutting down OVW help TNA's fiance problems? TNA released a shit ton of new talent b/c OVW is in shambles, how could Gut Check get a Show and Company when TNA can barely pay their bills and wrestlers?

• lowridinAllDay says:

The dude only gave an opinion…said he would like to see it….who are u to bombard him with what YOU think is better….chill out….get a girl, do some pushups, put down the video game controller and potato chips…..make something of yourself instead on an internet troll

8. lowridinAllDay says:

What a stand-up guy…..unlike a lot of the trolls.on.this site….spyofenemal,bigmike885,peckar,dick c carter…etc…..damn trolls…

• Tiffanydude says:

What was the point of the second part of your comment, don't like those guys go to a different wrestling news site, don't reply to their comments or just you know ignore them?

• lowridinAllDay says:

Really? You’re saying I can ignore them, or even go to a different site??? Wow, that never crossed my mind…thanks for the info…who woulda thought it could be so easy… Hamster

9. mrthefanboy says:

good interview I want Ryan back in TNA sometime in the future,huge fan of his since 2008.

10. TFnatureboyfig4 says:

I hope they bring the guy back sometime soon. He's a darned good heel wrestler.

• Philly_Cheese says:

He is, but I truly doubt they'd let him do the weird and kinda creepy stuff he did over in India. He'll always be better on the Indy scene because of the fact that when you're on TV you have to be politically correct constantly.

11. ripwhoozwah1 says:

Spoken like someone who plans on being rehired somewhere down the road

12. JoeWrestling says:

Class act. Talked to him at the fan fest for the "unannounced" PPV match.

13. incognitowolfe says: