Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Feb 16, 2012
Kurt Angle: ‘My Olympic Chances Are Slim To None’

Kurt Angle: ‘My Olympic Chances Are Slim To None’

Kurt Angle was recently interviewed by the BBC and spoke about his attempt to make the Olympic Wrestling team. Here is what he had to say…

“What are my chances of making the team? Slim to none, I’m not going to lie but, if I can look you in the eye and say I have a chance that’s more than enough. I’ve had my ex-wife Karen tell me you’re not fit for it. I’ve had family members say they’re concerned about my neck, my mother’s always worried and even some of my brothers aren’t taking me seriously.”

9 Responses to “Kurt Angle: ‘My Olympic Chances Are Slim To None’”

1. jaxhollywood says:

Yeah, ex-wives are the ones you should listen to -.-…if anyone is fit and can do it, I'll put my money on Kurt Angle.

2. HolsG says:

He's beginning to show his age but how many 40+ year olds do we see who can wrestle to his ability?
    You go and kick ass Kurt!

3. hangers says:

I really do hope he qualifies, I'm thinking he may get a reality check going against all these younger guys but the man is a gold medalist.

4. Rent_A_Geek says:

Hate to say it, but if he is going to stand a chance, he needs to take a serious break from TNA and retrain himself in Greco-Roman Wrestling. Not only can he not afford to hurt himself, but when he starts acting according to instinct during a match, he does not want to pull out an Olympic Slam in front of the judges.

• tna24 says:

well havent you notice he hasnt be on impact for like a few weeks to a month or so

• Bigmike885 says:

Until this week..when he shows back up..a month is not enough time.

• Rent_A_Geek says:

A year would be more the thing if he was serious about it. A Month is: "Take some time off from the road and recover from my ____ injury". But we are talking about a complete retraining of his thought process and how his body reacts during a match. You just cannot go back from being one of the best Professional wrestlers to being an Olympic-class amateur wrestler without herculean effort…

I see this as kind of an extension of the Roddy Piper Vs Mr T boxing match in Wrestlemania II where Piper got his bell rung and came back reverting to pro-wrestling rules and bodyslammed Mr.T. Yes, I know that wasn't real, but the principle of it remains sound. In a stressful, unscripted situation, conscious thought and deliberation takes to long… your body reacts almost independently of your brain… in a Martial Arts context, we called this state The Void, there the body reacts to external stimuli according to training instead of conscious thought. Right now, Kurt's training is as a Pro-wrestler. As Yoda would have said: he must unlearn the professional, before he can retrain as an amateur.

• Bigmike885 says:

I agree with you completly..and i LOVE how you confirmed your name "rent_a_geek" with the Yoda quote..that was awesome!

5. Bigmike885 says:

While I have all the respect in the world for him giving this a go, I see why noone is giving him a chance. Just because he won a gold medal 14 years ago, doesnt mean he could do it now.