Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Oct 22, 2013
Magnus Ignores People Who Are Negative To TNA

Magnus Ignores People Who Are Negative To TNA

Magnus recently spoke with Busted Open Radio about the state of TNA and more. Check out the highlights:

On people expressing negativity towards TNA through social media platforms: “People think because that they watch a few DVD’s that document one part of history and how the business went and they are able to predict what’s going to happen in a completely new set of circumstance and I tend to ignore it and I don’t really give it much thought. These are basically the people that throw something out there with no filter because they are nobodies and I’m not trying to knock anyone. It’s easy to say when you have nothing to lose and to throw out an opinion in the hope that it actually happens and then you can say: ‘See, I was right. I told you.’ For some reason now we live in an age now where all wrestling fans think are obsessed with showing on how much knowledge they have and its either you’re just a fan or you’re in the business. Your knowledge is kind of irrelevant unless you are in the industry or unless you are making a living off of our sweat or talking about and I’m one of those people too, I have a column in a wrestling magazine that I get paid to do but the only difference is that I get paid to do it because people read that magazine because they want to hear something’s on the ground that makes for a nice change. I use Twitter as a promotional tool and somewhat as a barometer, it’s like an instant focus group and I think if you take it anymore serious, then you are probably wasting your own time and I tell my fellow peers the same thing especially the younger guys who don’t have as much experience for their age and are bothered and affected by this kind of stuff on twitter and I said look: ‘This is what twitter is. In terms to your significance, your life, your career and your psyche, don’t take it seriously then you should do, which is not very much at all.'”

On giving an inside look at TNA: “Honestly, I am not qualified to answer that. I’m not trying to dodge the question, I promise you. I’m not really qualified to speak on physical matters or anything like that as far as the company is concerned. I will say this that any wrestling fan who claims to be a wrestling fan should get off this bandwagon of: ‘Let’s all talk about the state of TNA’s business.’ Anyone would tell you that and I’m talking about people on Wall Street, people in any industry, particularly the entertainment industry where the reputation of image is very important, that sometimes all you need is the rumor even if there is no validity to it and then the rumor can actually become a possibility. It boggles my mind there are people out there that you read their bio or they will tell you: ‘I eat, sleep and breathe wrestling man. I love it’ but then they are the ones that say: ‘TNA is going to go out of business and yada, yada, yada.’ Do you want that to happen? Do you want to have less wrestling on TV? Do you want all of these performers that you admire have to go find work somewhere else? I don’t understand that. That to me has always been a strange thing and the irony of it is that these are the people that claim to be the most dedicated wrestling fans and the one who are not paying for the Pay-Per-Views, they are illegally downloading them and they are busy knocking everything at every opportunity and becoming armchair writers or armchair quarterbacks as the saying goes. You are harming the business more then you are aiding it and I don’t understand why would do that if you claim to love it so much. It’s not me trying to say: ‘Oh please, stop expressing you opinion.’ But if you are being overwhelming negative all the time then you should focus it somewhere else and focus it on yourself.”

On focusing to be better: “Normally, it’s studying tapes. Sometimes things happen organically based on the right opponent and suddenly and I’ve borrowed more than a couple things from Japan and the trips that I had over there over the last year have been very beneficial in that respect and being so close to (Samoa)Joe and A.J. (Styles) and learning from guys like that and also, it’s funny because you do something once because it just happens to fit in that particular match and then sometimes the reaction is so strong or somebody that you trust like A.J. or Kurt or Joe, who really knows there stuff, will say: ‘Hey, that’s a keeper.’ Pretty much my entire move set as we like to call it, is stuff that I have done somewhere along the line and when I comeback either Kurt, Joe or A.J. have said: ‘That’s a keeper’ and no more has to be said about that. I’ll keep doing that and once you do that, you are good from there. Once you get your foundation, you can play around with variations and let it happen very organically and it’s up to me to make it happen. People didn’t see me from day one and say: ‘This is his future.’ It was based off of my work with Samoa Joe in 2012 and I stepped up and it’s funny because one you start getting labeled, that’s when you get a lot of pushback and it bears repeating, the only reason why the conversation is happening is because of what I’ve done. The pressure is fine, I can handle that but it’s up to me to make it happen and to take that step and make it mean something.”

14 Responses to “Magnus Ignores People Who Are Negative To TNA”

1. Jon says:

Another marginally talented (and I'm being generous) hack whistling past the graveyard.

2. Euphoria says:

Magnus is so right on? The truth loud and clear.

• Philly_Cheese says:

He's right to an extent, and I'm guessing he's referring to the people who compare TNA to WCW. The people who make those comparisons are semi-right just as magnus is semi-right. His mindset is very poor on that subject because he totally ignores the notion, which is a very terrible thing to do. Although TNA IS in a totally different boat than WCW, they need to know not to go down that road and learn from the mistakes WCW made. TNA recently made the same mistake WCW made, by spending more money than it could potentially make, and it caused a world of problems. Right now TNA does need to get off the road and focus on getting more fans… Being on the road doesn't generate fans, hogan doesn't either, neither does MMA fighters. Advertising is their biggest fault; it's not that people choose not to watch TNA, it's simply that it's completely unknown to them. I personally only know of TNA because of friends, who found out about it from other friends, and word of mouth will only get you so far.

3. Sturk says:

Magus is really smart and intelligent. I didn't know he was this thoughtful. Pleasant surprise.

4. Dick C. Carter says:

There is only so much a guy like Magnus can do when he's booked the way he is being booked. It barely reminds me of how Morgan was booked before his departure from TNA. Something to prove, fails continuously. I think he could be a good draw for TNA, if booked right.

• tnadude says:

Oh God… Please don't say that… Anything but that!

Seriously though, I get your point. Luckily for all of us (especially himself) Magnus actually has talent. Morgan doesn't. TNA just need to give Magnus a gimmick (and exciting entrance music) and let him run with it.

I've probably said this 100 times over the past year: Make him a "ladies' man" and bring in the Blossoms as his valets.

Because Magnus + twins = ratings.

• Dick C. Carter says:

Eh. Morgan has size and unfortunately, in wrestling "size matters." Ya, his mic skills are lacking, he's "ok at best" in the ring, but he is a "specimen," if anything. In no way am I saying he is "top notch talent," but TNA should have still been able to do SOMETHING with him. I throw him on a list with Anderson… the "misused" list. That said…

I agree with the "ladies man" idea, but I only think it would get over if he was a heel… at least at first. I don't see the Blossoms being necessary, but I know chicks tend to light up when Magnus pops up on tv. At least in the crowds I've watched TNA with.

5. Peckar says:

The first colum of the interview is gold. He hit the nail on the head. Not just with the state of TNA but all the goings on in the company, talent, promos, matches, who should stay, who should go. I am very guilty of this and would be the first to admit it. I know there are many others on this website that are exactly the same. Wrestling is something people can accept/like or they just don't get it. Then you are left with these bitter people who grew up in the modern golden age of wrestling and want nothing more than wrestling to have the success from years past. Wrestling is my favourite program and I have a passion for it. I believe it is similar to causing the ones we love the most pain, I guess. Some things to US fans are obvious, Such as who is over, who can cut a decent promo, and who kicks ass in the ring. Some decisions that are made don't make sense. Sabin as World Champ? Gunner getting promo time and cutting Alex Shelley loose when Sabin was due to come back and could have reformed the most popular home grown tag team TNA has ever had. Magnus is a good talker but nobodies hair is standing up when he cuts a promo so for gods sake don't whack a World Title on him…….yet.

• tnadude says:

Well put.

Most of us on this site (myself included) express our opinions on who should stay and go. We have two choices – deal with the decisions that are made for us, or go watch something else. Obviously, we all choose the former or we'd spend our time doing something else.

But my last point is exactly where Magnus shows he still doesn't "get it". He should be encouraging us to run our mouths (and make fools of ourselves in the process). At least we're spending our time doing it – instead of doing something else (can anyone say "MMA or NFL forums). What we're saying is actually immaterial.

Bischoff intentionally ignites a fire in the IWC just to get people to pay attention. It works. I mean, he comes off as a j@ck@$$ in the process, but he still does it.

And count me in the column of "growing up in the golden age of wrestling". I'd rather watch old videos of Hogan v. Andre (from the early 80s – not WMIII) or Flair's NWA promos any day over anything wrestling now offers.

6. TheBringer92 says:

I think he has got talent but his character is just blah…Theres nothing much there, I think someone on here said, turn him into a ladies man and bring the blossom twins in. Why not?

• Philly_Cheese says:

You're right, his character is very dull and unappealing. He needs a manager to carry him and something to give his character something. Right now his character stands as some guy from the UK, and while that may work over there, it doesn't do much of anything for the fans here.

7. purpleurkel says:

Im positive toward TNA but negative toward wrestlers with no moves or personality (like Magnus)

8. TheFurnitureom says: