Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on May 4, 2013
Mickie James Speaks Out – Lack Of TV Time, Velvet Sky

Mickie James Speaks Out – Lack Of TV Time, Velvet Sky

Running The Ropes and host Chris Kelly interviewed Mickie James this week. James was promoting her new music album Somebody’s Gonna Pay. Below are some highlights:

James on her frustrations with lack of TV time in TNA over the last year: “I know I’ve seemed a little bit frustrated as of late in some of my promos and stuff, but I honestly feel that for the past year I’ve probably been on less than 10 shows. I’ve barely done anything. It’s awesome to be able to come back and win the number one contendership and go for the title, but I’m sick and tired of feeling like I’m sitting at home and watching all these other people. I did get injured and I was sick, but I was already off TV when I got hurt. It’s so frustrating when you know that you’re one of the best in the world, and you’re sitting at home. I love going out there and making magic and telling a story, but I don’t love pretending that I’m okay sitting at home when I’m not. I’m just being real and being honest about it. It’s not me trying to be this awful person. I’m the one who has to look at myself in the mirror and if I’m not happy with what I’m doing or not doing, then I’m the one who has to face that. So that’s kind of where I’m at. I know people question that like ‘Oh are you turning heel?’ And I’m like ‘No, not really. I’m just being honest.”

James’ thoughts on the forgotten state of the TNA Knockouts tag team titles: “I don’t understand the logic behind that because in my opinion, besides the X Division Championship, the female tag team championship is the only thing we have that nobody else has. I think our ladies’ division is so unique and so different that it gives you something else to fight for. I don’t know why they’re sitting around ODB and EY’s waists, and they’re not even defending them and nobody else is getting a shot at them. There’s no storyline; there’s nothing wrapped around them. They just kind of won the belts and that was it. Then we forgot about them. I don’t think we have enough girls right now to even have a tag division, unfortunately. But there are enough girls in our circle that we can use. In my opinion, it would be awesome if there were more full-time contracted girls because not only would it give us more girls to work with in the title picture, but also in the tag division being able to pair up with the right people and kind of see who works together and who doesn’t, what’s going to make money and what’s not, what kind of gimmicks and characters like Jumping Bomb Angels and Glamour Girls – it all works.”

On her popularity compared to Velvet Sky: “I was glad that Velvet was back; I thought it was awesome. But what was the point in bringing me back [in December] if you were just going to bring her back a week later and then I was going to sit at home? It didn’t make any sense to me unless it would have worked into some kind of storyline or something like that. It still could, you never know. Velvet started in TNA and that’s where she built her fan base. She’s got hardcore TNA fans, whereas I have hardcore Mickie James fans. I don’t mean to take anything away from her because she does have hardcore Velvet Sky fans, but I brought 80-90 percent of my fan base with me. I do have a larger audience, but she has a larger TNA loyal fan base.”

10 Responses to “Mickie James Speaks Out – Lack Of TV Time, Velvet Sky”

1. Treck says:

I smell a pipe bomb on impact coming soon

2. soyfenomenal says:

Shut up, Mickie, you've done nothing for ratings with your "80-90% fan base."

3. 1Risky1 says:

Its true about the TNA Knockouts tag team titles

4. Philly_Cheese says:

She has a point… I think the knockouts tag titles haven't even so much as been seen for almost a year now.

5. Mickie James sucks. She is boring on the mic, she is sloppy in the ring, and just not an interesting character at all. Best in the world? When you get this thing they call charisma, maybe you can say that after you proved you can have a 5 star match, and actually be better in the ring than anyone else. But ROH has better females, even Velvet is better. I'm sick and tired of Mickie being in TNA. I'm soooo happy she is not on TV much anymore. Now get rid of Tess and bring in knockouts who are actually entertaining and fun to watch. I used to like Tara before that god awful Jesse crap

6. whatsup121 says:

What mickie james said about the Knockout tag team titles is correct they kinda just dropped the ball on that one , what they could have done was make it a mix tag team title and have ODB & EY defend it against Tara & Jessie Godderz , until Madison Ryane got back and then have her & Joey Ryan form a team the King of Sleeze and the Queen Bee.

7. Roid Master says:

TNA doesn't have enough women on their roster to support the tag titles. I would gladly sacrifice seeing Joseph Park on a weekly basis for more talented women in the ring.

8. godoftna says:

TNA does need to do something to help bring in some more of their unused talents, like Mickie James. She's a tremendous talent, solid worker, and hot as hell. There was a time in TNA when all the KO's were used on a near regular basis. Despite the fact that the division revolved around Gail Kim and Awesome Kong or even Taylor Wilde and Awesome Kong, girls like Roxxi and TBP were seen near weekly. That all changed when, and I almost hate to say it, Hogan and Bischoff came on board. The focus suddenly became just TBP and whoever they were feuding with at that time. And I get that fans want to see beautiful women in the ring, but we also want to see talent, and TNA has let some serious talents go. Women like Hamada and Cheerleader Melissa could have really brought the KO's division up to a whole other level in ring wise had they only given them the chance. As for the KO tag team titles, I've said since the beginning that they were a bad idea due to the fact that there was never enuff female performers to constitute a tag team division. After being used fairly well at the beginning, they became another prop for TBP and that was it. TNA needs to(and it seems they already have) retire the titles permanently until and unless they plan on putting serious effort into the division. And TNA needs to put a lot more effort into the KO's division as well by using the all the talents that they have more regularly. I get that the big story is Aces and Eights vs TNA right now, but they need to make more time for the performers that don't usually get seen. Cut out one or two of the pointless back stage/behind the scenes promos and they could put out another match at the least. 3-4 matches in a two hour show is not nearly enuff. They could have at least 3 matches per hour at minimum.

• oh0K says:

3 Matches per hour at minimum is right! I remember when the show was only an hour and it had more matches than they have now!

I'm pretty sure they do the backstage segments to prevent a match having commercial breaks though…

• godoftna says:

they may do that, but honestly, that would be a weak excuse. I remember a point in time when the storylines in pro wrestling were dictated and told by what happened in the ring, not in the locker room or some anonymous hallway. People today may want to see a little drama, but most watch it for the WRESTLING.