Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Oct 8, 2013
Nigel McGuinness Reflects On His Early Retirement

Nigel McGuinness Reflects On His Early Retirement

In an interview with, Nigel McGuinness spoke about his early retirement, which prevented him from going to WWE with fellow ROH alum Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and Antonio Cesaro, as well as prematurely ending his TNA run. Here are highlights:

On why he retired: “Ultimately, I stopped wrestling because I had done everything I could do aside from WWE. There wasn’t any interest in me wrestling for them. An old arm injury, which was pretty much healed, is why I couldn’t work for WWE. Then I got hepatitis B in TNA and didn’t want to leave a chance for somebody else to get it.”

On the companies that responded to his plea to stop intentional bleeding in wrestling: “The WWE doesn’t do it, you applaud them for that. ROH has a no-blood policy as well. They’re in the process of getting a testing and/or vaccination protocol worked out through the legal system.”

On how he feels to see his friends working for WWE while he can’t: “It’s tough to see my friends [at WWE] making hundreds of thousands of dollars and really living the life that I worked my whole life for. And I feel, justifiably so, that I unfairly lost the opportunity. But I’ve learned so many skills from working on the documentary, that I can now edit shows and movies and if I have other projects that I want to do, I know on the backend that I can do it all myself. I said to [Colt] Cabana on the end of the tour, really how I view my career will largely depend on what happens after my career. If I continue to have some success in L.A., I may look back and say, you know what? It was the best thing to happen to me.”

7 Responses to “Nigel McGuinness Reflects On His Early Retirement”

1. ricky_No1 says:

So gutted hes not wrestling anymore. Guy is one of the best all round performers ever to stand in the ring,

2. @TNADARKNIGHT says:

He'll always to be remember as ,Desmond Wolfe, well to the TNA fans atleast,, damn that sucks

3. TNA_Warrior_UK says:

He wouldn't have looked out of place with the TNA world title round his waist. Also loved his feud with Angle when he arrived. Wish him luck with his new career though.

4. Philly_Cheese says:

In most cases intentional bleeding is purely voluntary, any promotion that demands it wouldn't be a place i'd want to work for. I think if a wrestler feels its something they want to do then they should, given they are tested before hand. For any company it's cheaper to say no to blood all together, but accidents happen and people bleed, like getting their lip busted open or hitting their nose to hard.

5. Steven kelly says:

I hate the fake cutting to get blood but when you see a wrestler get cut for real no play acting it makes the match mre real

6. Dick C. Carter says:

I really wish Nigel had gotten a better run in TNA. His 1st match with Angle was off the charts, but after that, not so much. His pairing with Chelsea should have been beyond excellent, but TNA dropped the ball!