Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Mar 19, 2013
Nikki Roxx Discusses TNA Knockouts Pay, Shaving Her Head

Nikki Roxx Discusses TNA Knockouts Pay, Shaving Her Head

Nikki Roxx recently discussed her time in TNA, Shimmer Women’s Athletes, and her new fitness venture BonRoxx Fitness. Here are the highlights…

On the impact of Shimmer Wrestling on women’s wrestling: “It gave us a way to display that girls don’t just do catfights…we’re not just managers…we actually get in there and we can actually go. It was nice to have that and to have people see it. The crowd that’s there is just amazing.”

On her reaction when TNA pitched the idea of shaving her head: “We had kinda heard that they were looking for someone to do it…I thought about it and I didn’t really see what the big deal is. … I think the funniest part is when they approached me, I had asked ‘How much are you guys going to pay me to do it’ and their response was ‘Oh, you want to be paid to do that?’ I actually enjoyed doing it, they were the ones who actually made me grow my hair back. They wanted me to get extensions [before it grew back].”

On the “No Carpet/No Curtains” shirt she wore after shaving her head: “They had no idea what that meant for so many months, and then finally someone—I think it was Dixie—said ‘Oh, she can’t wear that on TV!'”

On declining an invitation to appear on the all-Knockout PPV special: “You can only get kicked so many times. … I think that I had finally had enough. They had trouble treating me very well to begin with and I felt like I was being a glutton for punishment every time I went back. … I felt like it was the right time to tell them no. It was like one of those bad relationships where you keep trying to get away from it. … You can’t treat people badly and then hope that they’ll come back and hang out. … A lot of the girls I’ve spoken to turned them down.”

On the pay for a TNA Knockout: “I absolutely loved being a part of it. … I loved being a part of history [with the division]. That being said, I feel like they are not sure how to treat their employees. … There were multiple times where someone was working a day job while being on TV. You’re supposed to be an international TV star but you’re having to get a job tending bar or working at a Sunglass Hut. … From my experience I would see that was straight across the board [not just limited to Knockouts]. … They weren’t very biased about it.”

19 Responses to “Nikki Roxx Discusses TNA Knockouts Pay, Shaving Her Head”

1. koysortna1 says:

See she cant admit the fact that TNA do have a good Payroll, she doesn't even mention it. im pretty sure the TNA knockouts make atleast over 100k a year?

• MikeS23 says:

Lol. No they don't. When Madison Rayne was in her first reign as KO Champ she made only $250 per appearence. And she had to provide her own transportation. There was a story her about how she could make an appearance due to lack of money.

• TwIsTeD_EnEmY says:

They most certainly do not.
      their pay has been stated in a number of places (wont say how much because i cant recall a figure) but for most womens wrestlers (with the exception of ex. WWE) its at most $500 per appearance.

• DirkB says:

Gail Kim originally left because TNA lowballed her, she was the original KO, helped put the division on the map and TNA still wouldn't give her decent money.
      Similar story with Kong, along with the BTLS bs.

Some of the ex-WWE girls might be making good money but many others won't be.

• hangers says:

Tara, Kim and Mickey James would all be on decent salaries but the rest of the ladies would not.. It's a hard one as they don't have an endless supply of money but I think that there's some fat at the top which could be cut to re-distribute the pay a bit more evenly..

• Bigmike885 says:

you sir..are an idiot..most of the guys in TNA dont make 100k a year..

2. Kyle says:

I always thought she was very sexy, and would love to see her back in TNA.

3. HolsG says:

She's my favourite knockout of all time!
    She was easily competing at the mens level and could wrestle hardcore – brilliant!!

TNA really f'd up, they gave her a few hours notice of being fired and treat her like crap – she's different to other knockouts and would have been great to keep her, doubt we'll see her again now :(

• DirkB says:

My favourite too, Madison Rayne is my current favourite but Roxxi will always be at the top of the list.

I didn't like the hardcore gimmick too much, mainly because you could tell it wouldn't put her back on top.
      I was so pleased when TNA brought her back and so pissed off when the kicked her out again.

It's a shame she wasn't at the PPV and a bigger shame we'll probably never see her in TNA again but I can't blame her at all.

4. tnadude says:

Very well stated, Nikki! Kudos to you for speaking your mind while not sounding the least bit bitter! I wish all talent could be this well-spoken.

5. jbcissom says:

I'll say this, and this goes to all the female wrestlers… if you love this business and perform in it, you're a glutton for punishment. Unless you are "freakish" (Kong) or gorgeous (insert any other Diva), you're not going to have staying power in WWE to make the "money".

Remember Jackie Haas? Does she still wrestle/manage? Most women that get into this business, get out, because unless you capitalize on that small opportunity you get, you're going to get burned.

Look at Mickie James, Tara, and Taryn… they make their money in other facets of life. They just love wrestling and have the financial means to perform for us fans.

6. Peckar says:

Hopefully all the girls who turned them down will open Dixie's eyes up to how some talent feel how they are being mistreated.

7. Leg Drop Jobber says:

I miss the old days when female "wrestlers" like Roxxi, Alyssa Flash, Hamada, Kong, Daffney, etc. used to put on a hell of a show. Nothing against todays KO roster, but I honestly don't like TNA's style of match these days. The fact that most of these people who worked their asses of to entertain TNA fans and were treated so poorly doesn't surprise me. Companies have been paying females less in the work place for a very long time now.

8. JoeWrestling says:

Nikki is good, but it's too easy to conflate all these arguments. First off, there are obviously higher paid talent and lower per appearance paid talent. It's also kind of markish to play the "I'm supposed to be a international superstar but I'm not living like Ric Flair" card. This is the real world, not fantasy land. Lots of people have important jobs and are paid much less than they deserve, it's because it's supply and demand marketplace. Yes people who aren't used and released aren't going to like it much. However, I see lots of talent there who are booked every week for years, and I don't see them leaving. Yes, you can go and work part time at Sunglass Hut if you like, but realize if you were working an only 2 times a month taping job at a studio in Florida, you have the whole rest of the month off. So it's not like you necessarily should earn a full salary for 2 dates for a filler spot, it's basically a part time job at that point. Do we want all our favorite wrestlers to become rich and famous? Maybe, but you have to earn it by proving to be a charismatic draw. It's not a matter of, I can do wrestling moves so pay us all like valuable stars. Once again, the test is simple. Lets see some of these critics start their own wrestling company with all these perks or point to the start-up wrestling company that is doing it, because it's easy to say someone who's raking in cash and not paying it out fairly to the workers is wrong, but if your losing and risking your own money and peoples jobs are on the line, it's a different story. WCW went under and all those high paying spots were lost, and I'm sure it didn't help that their payroll was out of control. WWF could have easily went under due to the inflated expense of contracts competing with WCW, and all those nice paying jobs wouldn't exist today. Same thing could happen to TNA, and none of the wrestlers will then have jobs or TV spots, they will most be retiring from wrestling and finding new jobs. So be careful what you wish for. And if you think someone will just come in and fill the void TNA leaves, think again, because there is no market demand for more Pro Wrestling, good luck finding investors.

9. shanedraper says:

they only get about $250-500 per appearance and might only get used a few times a month, so someone with a minimum wage full time job would earn more than them

• oh0K says:

don't forget that even if they get used twice a month, they most likely will be working less than an hour, a person making minimum wage would have to work well over 70 hours to make the same amount of money… Not saying its fair when compared to WWE, but thats like comparing wages in china to the us….

• Bigmike885 says:

ya, but you have to remember..most of the time, if these guys/gals are working once or twice a month..yes, they are making "minium wage", but they also have to pay for transportation to Orlando, hotel, food, ect…that gets pricy unless they live in Orlando, which most with them on the road it could get worse..

10. rrrwwws says:

P When she was in tna they didnt have the $ to pay knockouts well but now

they have grown and there alot of people that make 4-500k(angle, styles, sting, hardy,i roode, aries) and the rest are between 1-300k, hemme makes $175,000yr, velvet and gail make about that as do mickie james and tara, but im sure people that are still coming like tessmacher and some of the gut check pwople prob dont make that much, nikki was young whwn she was with tna she shouldnt be expexting to make good $ until she proved herself and she really didnt stay around long enough to do that

• dcxboxx says:

she could make more in the indies than in tna. only a few women in tna have a chance and thats more to do with being in the wwe. do you really think hemme would be making more than a good portion of the tna locker room had it not been for her wwe run? and i bet she much likte most of the top guys (money wise) dont have to pay travel or hotel. the rest do though. and those people actually will make less money now with tna on the road. they only get 2 dates a month on average now. so you work 4 impacts thats actually two dates you are paid for. and not 4. since one is live thent aped same night they are just paid for one. which sucks. bobby roode just avoided that with luck, because his contracted ended so they had to work out a new contract.