Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Sep 14, 2013
Report: TNA Commentators Watch NFL During iMPACT!

Report: TNA Commentators Watch NFL During iMPACT!

A photo surfaced online Thursday night from a fan who attended the TNA iMPACT! Wrestling taping in St. Louis showing Mike Tenay and Taz watching the NFL game between the Patriots and Jets.

The fan, Drew, noted that the photo showed two monitors at the announce table. One monitor was on the NFL game and the other was showing Impact. They were spotted watching the game the whole night during the taping.

38 Responses to “Report: TNA Commentators Watch NFL During iMPACT!”

1. TwIsTeD_EnEmY says:

You have to give it to WWE- They are willing to fire their talent who have been with them for 20+ years to protect the image of their company.
    If TNA gave even half as big a shit as them, they wouldn't be letting their talent do stuff like this.
    They're pretty much telling the fans that not even they would watch TNA over NFL if it were up to them.

• Bigmike885 says:

that's correct sir…while I don't have a problem with it per say…I can see how it looks..

• CKinzu says:

I sort of question the willingness of WWE to fire talent to protect the company image. If that were true Ric Flair would never be allowed to work for the WWE again and become an after thought in company history. However, I'm sure Ric will always still be talked about and considered one of the greatest champions in company history. They simply used his actions as an excuse to get rid of JR who was not really valuable to the company anymore since he left the announcing table.

2. Tiffanydude says:

Even though this looks bad you gotta admit……It's pretty damn funny!

• Bigmike885 says:

how do you figure?..it was a live impact..and they couldn't turn away from a pretty crappy football game..why should be watch if they don't want to

• steidman says:

why should you let others decide what you want to watch

• Grandiose7 says:

Because it's their JOB DUH; are you stupid or what? They are paid to do the easiest job in the business, the least they could do is have some professionalism, and I mean the commentary has been substandard, if they were doing an amazing job maybe it'd be understandable.

• steidman says:

are you stupid or what? did you read my comment or did just want to spout off. Why should I care what TNA commentators are watching to determine whether I should watch TNA or not. Yeah it is unprofessional if true, but I could care a shit about what they watch when I am watching Impact. I will make the decision to what to watch based on what I want, not what other people are watching.

• Grandiose7 says:

I did read your comment, that's why I asked are you stupid or what. Because it's not at all acceptable behavior for the job they have and for what they are supposed to be doing. Their job is to watch what is going on in the ring and provide quality analysis, not to watch football and give mediocre (at best) commentary on the matches. It's not about you, you're already hooked. It's about sustaining people who are on the fence, and bringing in new viewers, with mediocre commentary (you know the thing you hear while a match is going on) can make or break a viewers experience almost as much as a performance in the ring. The fact of the matter is if you can't do your job, and show interest in it, why should the fans? You're supposed to be the ultimate homer if you're a part of the product and doing this shows contrary to the benefit of the company. Taz deserves his walking papers.

• Leg Drop Jobber says:

If you actually get to watch TV at work, I'd keep that job for the rest of your life.

That is totally unprofessional.

• JoeWrestling says:

Lots of jobs have TV's at work. And lots of people have computers and internet at work, so you can watch TV anywhere anyway. Not to mention people who work from home.

• Leg Drop Jobber says:

Name one place that has TV's "at work" and actually allow their employees to stand around watching them. Don't even attempt to included "the waiting room in Dr.'s offices.

• Tiffanydude says:

Why is there always that one person that has to reply to a comment with something that has nothing to do with the original comment?

3. 2blackbelts says:

I find this extremely disrespectful to the wrestlers as well as lack of concern for the quality of the job they give their employer and fans

4. jp says:

As I watched impact, I couldn’t tell at all. They weren’t distracted and likely had it on as a way to keep up with the score and watch during commercials. Taz is from NY, not sure, but maybe he’s a die hard Jets fan. Could you not see JR checking out the Sooners game if one was being played while he was calling matches? I could, if Vince allowed it, and he probably wouldn’t miss a beat in his play by play. I’m a die hard Clemson Tiger fan and I don’t miss a game for ANYTHING. NOTHING, period. This is one that I just don’t see the big deal with ad long as it doesn’t affect them doing their jobs, and it obviously didn’t

• toddmikki says:

I agree 100% with you, it sounded like they were all about the matches so what’s wrong with scoreboard watching.

• Leg Drop Jobber says:

TNA can do no wrong in your eyes. The company will literally go out of business and you'll still be blowing them. You are the most annoying member of this board. I really, really wish your fingers would get severed so your stupid ass can't type anymore.

• Grandiose7 says:

If you couldn't tell you weren't paying attention, the commentary has been subpar by far.

5. Luchador says:

I would like to see the pic of the fan to believe it

6. UK TNA says:

If I watched anything on tv while at work, I wud b up 4 disciplinary, especially if I did it in front of customers.

totally unprofessional.

7. MRPC says:

So what!! I have football (soccer) matches on while I'm working. *Us professionals can multi-task you know.

8. Kyle says:

I thought it was weird that Mike Tenay yelled “Touch Down!!!!” during the Styles Aries match.

9. DirkB says:

Maybe they were watching the game during the ad breaks?
    I know about multi-tasking but watching NFL while watching wrestling and commentating on it seems a bit difficult.

10. Jon says:

I did (HS) football play-by-play for years, multi-tasking like that really isn't a big deal in terms of being able to do it without it being a disruption. Even student broadcasters (like teenagers) handled it tbh. In that respect this is an absolute non-story. I'll admit it probably wasn't entirely the best imaging moment for TNA but still not anything more than mildly amusing IMO.

11. steidman says:

So where is the photo?

12. cnote says:

Man not even the announcers give a crap about Totally No Action!

13. nicholal79 says:

Now I know why Taz called a triangle choke a gogoplata! He wasn't paying attention to the match!

14. Euphoria says:

Gogoplata is actually the martial arts term for a triangle choke. Look it up.

15. tnadude says:

First off. Let s not assume "some guy" is giving an accurate report. This is too outrageous, IMO.

I'd like to know where they even got the feed. In theory, the monitor would have been hooked to a closed circuit TV system with no outside access. I doubt TNA had a cable hook-up for them, particularly since Impact is not live – it's taped!

So, enough with the silly notion that this is true until we get a reputable source, ok?

Then, if it's true, I'll personally tweet Dixie every day to fire anyone who was watching or helped set up the feed. Because IF it is true, they deserve to be fired. End of story.

• Bigmike885 says:

and i'm sure she'll listen to you…seriously..i know you want to believe that TNA can do know wrong..but comeon man

• tnadude says:

Go back and read my posts. They do plenty wrong.

The difference between you and I is that I apply common sense to what I'm saying – and I wait for the truth before judging. It doesn't hurt that I'm also a tech-guy with experience setting up feeds in tournaments that ran in locations such as the old RCA Dome. So, unlike yourself – I may actually have a valid opinion here.

Then again, I don't expect you to understand. If you did, you'd stick to your WWE boards rather than littering the TNA ones.

16. JoeWrestling says:

Relax, I'm sure it's just part of Teflon Taz's new deal. He gets days off and football games as part of the deal so he can keep track of his bets with Joey Numbers to supplement his income since he took a pay cut. Besides, they are probably just trying to make the job look good so Good Ole JR will come work for them on commentary.