Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Nov 3, 2012
RVD On Whether His Pot Use Has Held Him Back In Wrestling

RVD On Whether His Pot Use Has Held Him Back In Wrestling

Rob Van Dam calls into Extreme Pro Wrestling Radio on 100.3 FM The Fan in Minneapolis. He talks with Big D, Tim, and Crisco the hosts of the show about how holding out and staying in ECW in its final years developed him, how physically he hasn’t changed, how he would change the X-Division, and if marijuana use has kept him from being the poster boy of the different organizations he’s been with. Highlights from the interview are as follows:

How staying in ECW in it’s last few years helped develop RVD into what he is today: … WWE didn’t want RVD to get over when I was there. They tried so much to… to… not get me… to…to… keep me from that. They didn’t understand why the fans liked me because I don’t fit the cookie cutter formula because I am a non-conformist. I’m so confusing to wrestling promoters, and I’m used to that, but because I stayed in ECW and learned how to express myself the way, ah, that I could connect with my fans, it made my strong Rob Van Dam character uncompromising… and I owe that to ECW. If I would have left and went to WCW way back then, they were gonna make me… they were gonna put a mask on me and make me one of those Glacier characters… ”

On whether age has affected his physical condition and does he have to stop doing some moves because of it: “Not even in the slightest… not even a little bit. … as a matter of fact, every once in a while, I’ll pull out a move because I haven’t done it in awhile. I was wrestling Jeff Hardy, I think this was, like, two months ago, I went up to the top rope and I went, ‘you know what, I don’t think I’ve done a 450 splash in like 10 years’. Boom… I just bust it out.

“…I haven’t cut anything out, and if it was up to me, ah, I would change that X-Division title into hardcore rules and I would have 20 minute matches every night, bouncing off the guardrail, bring in a chair… and hell yeah, that’s what I got to show still!”

On whether being “420 friendly” has kept him from being “the man” everywhere he has been: “I would think, ah, with TNA, probably not so, because they, they usually like to make those references, ah, whenever they can. and I think they appreciate the extra, ah, the extra cool attention that it gets them. Obviously, my… high profile bust, when I got pulled over in Ohio with possession of 18 grams, uh, and..and… resulted in suspension and loss of the titles… I mean, there is no way in denying that that definitely knocked me off from the track that I was on. Ah, at the same time, I don’t mind going down in history for that or drawing attention to, ah, a cause that I believe is worthy…”

Van Dam also talks about the political climate in WWE vs. TNA, his current relationship with Paul Heyman, and more. The audio interview is available at www.facebook.com/extremeprowrestlingradio

16 Responses to “RVD On Whether His Pot Use Has Held Him Back In Wrestling”

1. hangers says:

From the title i thought it was going to discuss if it had affected his in ring performances.. Ive said it before and I'll say it again, the man needs to turn heel..

• Dirk1n says:

I don't think I've ever seen heel RVD, I missed all of ECW, but he's got the perfect attitude to be a heel, arrogant as hell, thinks he's better than everybody, kicks people in the face, he'd be great at playing a complete dick

• Dependant says:

He was considered heel once when him and paul haymen came back to the WWE remade the crap version of ECW and then Haymen put the WWE championship on RVD off of John Cena.

• Peckar says:

Are yes. One of my most memorable matches ever. Loved it when they kept throwing Cenas shirt back at him. When they said they would riot if RVD lost, Vince knew they were serious lol.

• Mutter5 says:

I think what holds van dam down the most are his mic skills (i know its not stopped him from achieving what he has achieved) … his promos are bad, they just seem effortless but then agian Jeff hardy cuts really boring promos as a face but brilliant promos as a heel…..

• Peckar says:

They both suck on the mic. Its the respect for what they have given to wrestling which will always have them both over.

• Leg Drop Jobber says:

I'm with you 100%. However, the longer he is heel, the more the fans will begin rooting for him, as they did in OG ECW.

2. Treck says:

He does need to be heel. My favorite RVD moments in ECW as a heel. Cocky heel

3. TheMiwyun says:

RUN! HIS! COURSE!

4. Pipboy86 says:

This is why RVD wouldn't work as a heel in TNA. Fans want to cheer RVD for what he was. He is the to the point now where he is like a Flair, Hogan or Sting (although on a lesser level).

His original heelish cocky persona encompassed his finest body of work of his career( and could never be topped now) both in the ring and with Fonzy as a mouth piece. The reason for his success initially as a heel to get over was also the reason for his eventual rise to the tops in popularity as a anti-hero archetype in the attitude era. RVD was just too damn cool, talented and unpredictable to stay a heel. When he was with Sabu, doing the subtle spot stealing and positioning himself to be the center of the attention, the fans didn't say, "FU RVD, you suck for trying to upstage Sabu". They said, "this guy is F'ing awesome."

The problem with RVD today is that he has pretty much become a caricature of himself for too long now. RVD has never been good on the mic, never overly charismatic (other than in that role he played) or that adept at making other people look good. He is one of those guys who's whole career was built on getting those big spots that made him stand out. For him to become a successful heel, it would require a total makeover of his persona at this point. Other than him not being talented enough in the classic heel context, there are still people who would be looking to cheer RVD if he pulled out a big move. Take away that from RVD and you take away just about everything he has. He has never been interesting other than in the context of him being a show stealer. I doubt that there are more than a handful of people who would want to sit and listen to RVD give long term heel promos, after they had heard one or two, because they would be brutal.

At this point RVD is one of those guys who would best be used for a special attraction, or if you are going to use him full time, he is a guy who hovers around the mid to uppermidcard as a face, but don't expect him to make any waves or carry your company. He is where Jeff Hardy will be in a couple of years if his world title run falls flat, or where AJ Styles is rapidly approaching after all the failed heel turns and TNA refusing to book him as a solid top of the card wrestler each time they put the world title on him over the years.

• hangers says:

Is it bad for a portion of the fans to start cheering for a heel? It was happening with Anderson, he was getting momentum and then the face turn killed it.. During the attitude era those lines were constantly blurred, something that's missed at the moment.. It worked for Hogan back in the day and no one thought he would turn heel.

• Leg Drop Jobber says:

I agree with most of that. However, I disagree with "adept at making other people look good." Unless you were referring to "on the mic." For instance, NO ONE can sell a DDT or Piledriver like RVD.

Jeff Hardy isn't going anywhere, as long as he is "top merch sales" guy. Regardless of how his current title run turns out.

5. teammummy says:

lol RVD just admitted to doing an unplanned 450 splash, that shit can be dangerous if you don't give the other guy a heads up. RVD was one of my favorites, especially when wwe absorbed ECW because those fans had know idea how good he was. Nice to know he wants to do all his hardcore spots. I figured he was being lazy about putting his body at risk like he used to.