Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Oct 6, 2013
Tara Rips TNA – Says She’ll Never Return + More

Tara Rips TNA – Says She’ll Never Return + More

Lisa Marie Varon who appeared as Victoria in WWE and TNA Wrestling, spoke to VOC Wrestling Nation to discuss her restaurant, “The Squared Circle,” as well as other wrestling-related topics. Highlights from the interview are as follows:

On her new restaurant, “The Squared Circle”, opening in Chicago: “This is our third restaurant. We had one in Kentucky and one in Lombard, Ill; we sold both of those and ended up coming back to Chicago. It’s not just a pizza place; we do thin crust (Chicago style), we do brick oven, New York Style, and stuffed burgers. It’s a very, very unique menu.”

On the wrestling theme of her restaurant: “Our place is wrestling themed. I’m there every single night watching wrestling. I get to watch what I love, talk about my passion, eat awesome food, and mingle with the fans. Every night we have wrestling on and feature wrestling related guests. I even named a platter after Gail Kim.”

On her time in TNA and whether she would return: “TNA is out of the question. It wasn’t a good fit for me. I had a great run there, but it was very different from WWE. It made me appreciate WWE a lot.”

On her future in wrestling: “Never say never. I’m 42 and I’m still kicking ass and in better shape than when I was wrestling. It’s in my blood. I’m lucky that I live wrestling at my restaurant. I don’t think I’m done wrestling; I have a lot to give in terms of knowledge and helping other females.”

On working in front of the same crowd each week versus working on the road: “Its apples and oranges. I enjoy going on the road and working different towns. (At TNA) the audience wanted to get more camera time (than the talent). I ended up knowing most of the fans that went there in Orlando. Performing in Madison Square Garden is surreal. I hope some of the TNA talent that has never gotten to do that gets a chance to do it.”

On what’s missing with today’s female talent: “We had Fit Finlay as a trainer and agent. He made us and molded us. He got to know what made us tick, exposed that, and there was nothing we couldn’t do. Today, the girls pick and choose what moves they want to do. If Fit Finlay was around, that wouldn’t happen. We worked stiff. We made contact.

For more information on Varon’s “The Squared Circle” restaurant, TheSquaredCircle.biz. The complete audio interview is available at VOCNation.com.

60 Responses to “Tara Rips TNA – Says She’ll Never Return + More”

1. Luchador says:

she just wants to go back to WWE, but does WWE want her?

2. Mr. Excitement says:

Time for TNA fan boys to go into a rage..

• toddmikki says:

Answer one question. …. did she quit or get canned? Tna doesnt want her so shes saying this to try and be the next may young for wwe!

• Bigmike885 says:

neither..her contract expired and neither side wanted to do business with each other…sorry to yell you son, but she could out wrestle almost any of the other knockouts…

• jbcissom says:

When Gail Kim has said the exact same thing, but in a different connotation towards WWE (in a negative light/tone) it shows me that LMV is more about the money and diva-ness than the rasslin'.

• Bigmike885 says:

im sorry, but at her "age" I cant blame her..Why work for TNA when youre barly used. I think WWE would be a good option for her as a trainer with Del Rey…could actually make something out of their division maybe

• TwIsTeD_EnEmY says:

Because she would have a light schedule and a fixed salary that didn't depend on how many performances a year she would have to make..

• jbcissom says:

That's laughable when you say make something out of their division. They had Gail freaking Kim! The one woman that can out wrestle, out lucha libre any woman and half of the men on the WWE roster! Not only is she talented… she's also very attractive.

• Bigmike885 says:

I didn't say they had a good divison..but half their problem is non of the women can really wrestle…

• jbcissom says:

Keep missing the forest for the trees. WWE doesn't have a decent women's division, because they don't give a crap about women's wrestling. They hire models who "want" to wrestle, that don't turn out well, instead of hiring attractive female wrestlers.

• Bigmike885 says:

problem is..one of their most popular female wrestlers is one of those models who turned out good..so they think they're going to do it again..and lets be honest..TNAs division isn't that much better.

• JoeWrestling says:

Why? she doesn't have to work there, and neither WWE or TNA are going to offer her a contract. One reason is because she is 42 years old. Make sense?

• tnadude says:

How so? If there's anything to go into a "rage" over, it's this web site's constant misrepresentation of the news. Tara didn't say anything wrong at all. She was a little bitter when she was originally released, but that's natural.

All she said was TNA wasn't a good fit for her, and she's moving on. Sounds like a plan to me. I wish her all the best. Heck, I'm going to look up her restaurant the next time I'm in Chicago.

3. tna24 says:

no surprise she doesnt want to go back. there something about tna that making some kockouts not want to go back.

• DirkB says:

Roxxi, Kong and Angelina Love are the only ones I can think of that had problems with TNA, despite the company dropping the ball with a number of talented ladies.

• Grandiose7 says:

You just named 3 of the best knockouts that actually helped build the knockout division into what it was…outside of gail kim those women made tna's knockout division. You don't hear Lita, Trish, Stacy, etc complaining about wwe's…

• Bigmike885 says:

I was actually thinking the same thing..he mentioned 2 of the 3 most popular women they had. (the 3rd being gail)

• jbcissom says:

Kong left for the money (understandable), showed evidence of a mental breakdown (understandable) and was "quietly" let go by WWE, and hasn't been back since….

And Angelina "Love" Williams hasn't been on any of the 3 Big promotions, so that's really answering your question… she got crack whorish skinny… that's not good.

• tnadude says:

I agree. Angelina was awful. I'd take Madison every day (and twice on Sunday, might I add). If TNA wants to fix the division, the best way would be to bring back everybody's favorite MILF.

• jbcissom says:

I think she's coming back when she's ready. Not going to blame her for choosing to spend time with her kid while she can.

• tnadude says:

+5 for that last line. +5, my friend.

• DirkB says:

Kong also had problems with Hogan's ex-BFF, Bubba the Love Sponge.

I always liked Angelina as a wrestler but she did look ill towards the end.

• jbcissom says:

LIta and Trish were the goddesses of WWE's golden age for Divas. Stacy Keibler was never an actual wrestler.

Thing is, based on this past year alone, Gail Kim annihilated any and all accomplishments by any and every Diva by wrestling Taryn Terrell in all of those matches, not to mention the matches she's had with ODB and Kong.

• DirkB says:

I took the comment to mean that a lot of former knockouts didn't want to return to TNA, looks like I mis-read. I know how good/popular those women were, Roxxi was my favourite for a long time.

• Philly_Cheese says:

Roxxi, Kong, Angelina Love, Hamada, Daffney, Sarita, Tara, Raisha Saeed, is an even extended list… Although to be fair if no one remembers they had a list of 21 wrestlers who told them no during their knockouts PPV… to be fair about 30% of those were all in Japan or simply couldn't be there, the rest told them no because they didn't even want to work a PPV for TNA.

4. tna24 says:

this story i feel i heard it before

5. toddmikki says:

Shes only saying this about TNA because tna fired her and said sorry grandma but you aint worth a penny! She had zero appeal as no one wants to see an old woman that can’t wrestle and looks every bit of 40 years old.

• Bigmike885 says:

shut up dude..she could still outwrestle almost any of the girls they have now..and Id bet my entire years paycheck shes hotter than any ass you could ever get.

• toddmikki says:

Oh how your completely mistaken, i wouldn’t touch tara for anything!

• jbcissom says:

Are you saying that you're gay then?

I think the woman is showing "sour grapes" but saying she's ugly or unattractive is just foolishness.

• toddmikki says:

Never once said she was ugly, i said shes OLD!

• Bigmike885 says:

so youre going to be one of those 50 year old men trying to hook up with collage girls right?

• tnadude says:

She's not bad looking for her age, but she's not uber-attractive either. You've got to remember – when she's on TV, that's the best she'll ever look. You can make almost any woman attractive if you outfit her properly with makeup. Add a little cosmetic surgery and you're really set.

Truth is, if she were sitting at a bar with 15 other women, chances are she's not in the top 5. Is she "doable"? Sure, but she's not likely to be most people's first choice either.

Put succinctly, I've got better at home, and so do a lot of others. Just sayin'.

• jbcissom says:

Kinda off topic, how many female wrestling talents can you name that haven't had any cosmetic surgery? I can only think of roughly 3 or 4. And none of them are considered main-stream talents either.

• tnadude says:

Outside of Mae Young and Moolah? LOL! Not many, really. Just a couple in ROH.

Honestly, that wasn't my point though. I was just reminding people that Tara doesn't wake up in the morning looking like that, and many average women could look like her if done up. That's all.

For the record, I find very few of the girls hard to look at :).

6. Euphoria says:

This is old news. This site sure loves to repeat

7. Euphoria says:

I like TNA better of course. But I cannot deny wwe years ago had a solid women division. Though I thought Trish Stratus was greatly overrated. Ross saying he was the best ever lmfao.

• Bigmike885 says:

I think with that they're going in terms of someone who started as crap and turned into what she became..

• TheMiwyun says:

Oh my god shut up. Stop leaving like 20 comments. People see all your comments and then don't bother reading them. Look at all the thumbs up! They aint none!

• Bigmike885 says:

does it really look like I care about thumbs up or thumbs down? Or what a twat like you thinks? not so much…

8. DirkB says:

If it wasn't a "good fit" then why did she re-sign last time?

• Leg Drop Jobber says:

I would guess they offered her more money. Would you turn it down?

• Bigmike885 says:

of course he would..everyone on here says its not about the money..because its not them in the situation

• tnadude says:

BigMike – seriously dude, that's complete BS. You gotta spend less time writing posts and more time reading them. Particularly when you're attacking individuals. Too many times you've accused me of liking everything TNA does, where if you just clicked my link and read the 3 or 4 previous posts you'd see I ripped Dixie to shreds in all of them.

The truth is, the vast majority of the people on this site bash TNA they believe TNA is offering AJ and Mickie James too little money. It's kind of funny, because we don't have a clue how much has been offered. Yet, they do it because their invested in the talent and want the talent to be happy. I get that.

IMO, it's all capitalism. I don't blame either side (besides, how could I since I have no idea what either side is saying). They're just looking out for their own best interests. It's just business. Each side is just doing what they have to do to survive.

9. TheBringer92 says:

Aww…I liked Tara it must be a shock to the system though going from a wwe crowd, ready and roaring infront of thousands fans and then going to TNA infront of 1,100 fans who are indifferent (Im going by last year) plus the poor "celebrity" boyfriend….I think the storylines didnt suite her

10. Cezar_TheScribe says:

I would rather have Angelina Love back.

• Dick C. Carter says:

I thought Angelina was very talented and under rated. However, anybody FAT hates her, because she is so skinny. I'd "love" to see Angelina back in the KO's division, no pun intended.

• Philly_Cheese says:

I think a good deal of us would like to see Angelina Love and Kong back in particular, but those will never happen after the way TNA treated them.

11. hangers says:

It was a good fit for her when she needed money… She wants to suck up to WWE now and so she needs, in her opinion, to diss TNA and clear her name so to speak. I never rated her when she was in TNA, she's useless on the mic and has a limited set of moves. The only thing she could do in WWE is a trainer but they have Sara Del Rey as their female trainer who's a hell of a lot better than Victoria…

• Dick C. Carter says:

Needed money? Seriously, man. She opened a freakin' restaurant. Do you honestly think she did that with "TNA Money"? Give me a freakin break, man!

On another note, WHAT A WASTE OF SARA DEL REY.

• hangers says:

Do you think she did it for the love of it? Last time I checked it costs money to start and run a business and she came crawling back to TNA after her first walkout. And on the other note, she may be happy but as a fan, it's a huge waste of Sara Del Rey, she's a wrestler TNA or any other promotion could easily build a division around..

• Dick C. Carter says:

I think she started her business with "other money," as I seriously doubt TNA paid her enough to do much of anything, other than paying the bills. She already has some sort of "motorcycle business." I didn't realize she "came crawling back to TNA." I thought it was yet another case of "woops! Another contract expired here in TNA. We need to take care of that!"

Yep Del Ray is one of the best around. I would have really liked to see her feud with Michif, no matter what promotion.

• hangers says:

The first time she left she was hunting a WWE contract, it didn't happen so she came back with a lame excuse and telling everyone how much she loved TNA..

If WWE have any sense they'll have Del Rey wrestling with Kong rather than the hair pulling shit they are doing at the moment..

12. Nova_numb says:

The fact is as I seen them…Tara is hot for a 42 year old woman. She is talented enough in the ring to be in either division. It was reported even here that when TNA started cutting people loose…They cut loose those that were getting paid whether they were on Television or not…I.E. Tara. Now Tara wants to return to the WWE or maybe has eyes on being the next induction into the Hall of Fame there. So she is of course going to bad mouth her old boss and say they didn't work for me. Will Tara ever be in a WWE ring again? It is possible if only for the nostalgia appeal. But I think like someone said, WWE doesn't give a dang about Women's Wrestling so it is likely Tara's only option there would be to train the girls and I just don't see her wanting to be a trainer that gets no television time. I think she will eventually take a few Indy bookings, maybe even make an appearance in ROH…But at the end she probably will just run her restaurant and tell everyone there how good she is or was.

• tnadude says:

The reality is kind of harsh for her. WWE fans wouldn't want her in ring. The reason Divas are Divas is because that's what their fan base wants. It's a harsh reality – but still a reality.

But just because she's not begging for her job doesn't mean she's bashing them either. TNA wants to get younger and she wants to do other things. So they move on. No big deal.