Credit: Jack Hale & PW Torch
I just returned home from the TNA house show at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. This was the third year that TNA came to the Arena and it was a very good show. The attendance was roughly 550-600 people. Just like the year before, this show was not advertised on TV and only had some radio ads. Considering that, they were still able to get a decent-sized excited crowd. The show opened with Christy Hemme singing the anthem on a acoustic guitar before moving on to hosting the show. The referees were Brian Hebner and Brian Stiffler.
(1) TNA tag champion Kazarian (w/TNA tag champion Christopher Daniels) beat A.J. Styles. Daniels and Kaz came to ringside wearing the belts like MNM from back in the day. They then introduced each other with a PG-13 Joel Gertner like introduction. A good technical wrestling match that didn’t go very long. Just as Styles was making his comeback, he suplexed Kaz into the ring and Daniels grabbed and held his feet. This allowed Kazarian to fall on Styles and get the win. After the match, A.J. attacked Daniels until Kaz went after A.J. and the two of them beat him down. Kurt Angle then came out and ran off Daniels and Kaz.
(2) TNA Knockouts champion Miss Tessmacher beat Tara. Tessmacher didn’t wait for her entrance, as she just ran out and started beating on Tara. A few minutes into this, Matt Morgan came down the steps in the stands and attempted to get to ringside. Morgan got into a yelling match with Atlas Security and eventually they led him up another set of stairs in the stands. After that, Tara took over until she went for her swinging side slam, which Tessmacher reversed and then hit the Tess Shocker to retain her title.
(3) Kurt Angle beat TNA tag champion Christopher Daniels (w/TNA tag champion Kazarian) via DQ. Another good match, which didn’t go long. After some reversals, Angle eventually got Daniels in the Anklelock. This brought Kaz in to cause the DQ. After the match, they continued to attack Angle. Styles came out to attempt a save, but Bobby Roode ran out to continue the heel beat down. They were run off by Austin Aries with a hockey stick and a six-man tag main event was made.
(4) Mr. Anderson beat Robbie E. Anderson did his usual house show entrance until Robbie grabbed the mic and said no one wanted to hear Anderson; they wanted to see him Fist Pump. Robbie then danced to his music and challenged Anderson to do the same. Anderson danced some, but then he slugged Robbie to start the match. Another good match that ended when Robbie taunted Anderson before going for his finisher, which Anderson reversed into the Mic Check to win. After the match, Anderson had a kid in the crowd announce him as the winner, and the kid did a pretty good job of it.
(5) “Cowboy” James Storm and Jeff Hardy wrestled to a 15-minute time limit draw. Both guys were popular with Hardy having all of the kids in attendance on his side. Both men started as faces, but after Hardy missed a move and hurt an ankle, Storm turned heelish and attacked Hardy after the ref told him to back off. Storm worked the leg for a while until both men started going after finishers and reversing them. After enough reversals, Hardy hit the Twist of Fate and while covering Storm, the bell rang due to the time limit.
Post-match: both men and the crowd begged Brian Stiffler for more time, but he called the match over. Both men left and the crowd booed the ref. Then, Morgan ran out from another section of the arena and destroyed Stiffler with the Carbon Footprint. After Morgan received a big ovation, Atlas Security led Morgan out of the arena again. Stiffler was helped to the back by officials including D-Lo Brown.
(6) TNA World champion Austin Aries & Kurt Angle & A.J. Styles beat TNA World Hvt. champion Bobby Roode & TNA tag champions Christopher Daniels & Kazarian in a six-man tag main event. Very good tag match, which began with some nice wrestling from all six men. The heels then took advantage and had all three faces in peril at different points of the match. A very funny spot had Daniels and Roode giving Kaz A.J.’s arm to do a armbreaker with his back to the ring. After switching it up a couple times to anger the crowd, A.J. was able to reverse Daniels and gave his arm to Kaz to work on, which he did. While this was happening, all three faces went in front of Kaz to cheer him on until he realized what was going on. Not too long after that, everyone started trading finishers until Kaz and A.J. were left in the match. Kazarian attempted to hit Fade to Black, but A.J. reversed it into a Styles Clash to win.
After the match, they did the usual photo-op in the ring. It was supposed to be Aries, Angle, and Styles taking photos, but Angle’s knee – that was already in a brace – was bothering him, so A.J. and others helped him to the back. It may have happened when Angle took a TKO from Kazarian. With them gone, Aries took photos with the TNA World Title.