Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Jul 10, 2013
TNA Issues Statement On Matt Morgan’s Release

TNA Issues Statement On Matt Morgan’s Release

UPDATE: TNA issued a statement on the release of Matt Morgan. The statement reads:

“Impact Wrestling has released Matt Morgan. We thank him for all his contributions and wish him the best of success in the future.”

As noted earlier, the following is a new tweet from the official Twitter page of the now former TNA Impact Wrestling star Matt Morgan:

“Id like to truly thank Tna for my awesome experience there along with granting me my release. This is what is best for my career&family.”

ORIGINAL: Matt Morgan’s six-year tenure with TNA Wrestling has come to an end as he was granted his release from the organization on Tuesday. He requested his release from the company one month ago, which was well known among his colleagues.

Morgan was excluded from the annual Bound for Glory Series and had only appeared on television once in the last month—losing a Four-way Bound for Glory Series Qualifying Match to Magnus on the June 13 episode of iMPACT! Wrestling.

On the April 25 episode of iMPACT! Wrestling, Morgan confronted Hulk Hogan and offered his services to take out the Aces and Eights, in exchange for being named the number one contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship at Slammiversary. After having his request denied, Morgan faced Sting the following week in a Number One Contender’s Match for the World Heavyweight Championship, which Sting won after locking Morgan in the Scorpion Deathlock. Morgan subsequently disappeared from television before returning for the Bound for Glory Series Qualifying Match.

Despite repeated vows to capture the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, Morgan’s plan ultimately did not come to fruition. His lone runs with gold were two TNA World Tag Team Championship reigns. He stated in an interview last year of his desire to become World Champion, “Winning the Tag Team Championship is ultra-important and anyone who has those titles should have a lot of pride in wearing them. But at the same time, I got into the pro-wrestling for one reason and that’s to be the top dog and to be the World Champion. I know it sounds like a saying or a catch-phrase but this is what I truly believe. I came out of my mom’s womb a future world’s champion. And I’m sick of waiting.”

More as we get it.

17 Responses to “TNA Issues Statement On Matt Morgan’s Release”

1. Orlando013 says:

Well, I know I'm going to take a lot of heat for this…but here goes…I think this was a BIG mistake by TNA letting this guy go. I don't care what you all think about him as a Pro Wrestler, person, or Character, but Matt Morgan was not used correctly and I find it hard to believe that they could not give this guy another push like they did a few years back only this time as a heel. Granted, his mic skills weren't great, but neither were AJ Styles or James Storm in their earl careers. They gave up too soon with him. Bad move on TNA's part. I also disagree that a heel vs. heel main event wouldn't work. I can recall a Main Event in a WCW Starcade when Ric Flair defended the tile against a then heel Lex Luger and it went over very well.

• pepsilover2008 says:

From the sound of his tweet, it sounds like wwe called him and with the baby on the way he decided to jump ship. Dixie being the nice person she is probably said go on your way. She did the same with Nash, he had just signed a contract in the beginning of 11' and was then released by the end of the month when he asked because wwe called.

• tnadude says:

Didn't I just read this exact same comment on the last Matt Morgan post? Word for word, it seemed…

• ariesstormjoe says:

tna didnt let him go on their terms by the sound of it. he asked for the release. tna agreed.

i think hes been unconsistently used.

but with roode, aries, aj styles, angle, hardy, bully ray. think their main event division is very heavy atm. so some talent either have to wait it out or go their own way. pope's contract wasnt renewed when his contract expired. could have been used better too. but they have a lot going on with their main event imo.

• ricky_No1 says:

Morgan has wrestled for years and has never been over. Hes just so boring and will never be more than mid card at best.

2. shutupplz says:

Matt will find himself in the same position in the WWE lower mid card status! He is bad on the mic he has a very vanilla look great upper body but sticks for legs.

• jflegler says:

They can always put some Nash-pants on him.

• JoeWrestling says:

But he could be Curtis Axel's long lost brother.

• jflegler says:

LOL – Funny that you say that. When he was first brought out and pushed so quickly I was thinking that this spot may have originally been meant for Morgan as it could have been in the works since Matt's first rumored departure back in late 2012.

3. Peckar says:

He looked strong in his comeback. Almost playing a different character. Then slowly as he moved to his title shot, the old Matt Morgan crept back in. I can see why they persevered with him, hes big, great look, moves well and even had cool names for his moves. Learn to give a promo like a seven foot beast instead of a whinging sounding teenager, the world is your oyster, good luck.

4. what says:

wow that shocks me, that sucks

5. whatsup121 says:

Matt Morgan could have been a legitimate

Heavy Weight Championship if they had

Him work with someone like Sting or

Bully Ray or Austin Aries who are awesome

On the mic skills

The he could have made it

6. JoshuaTNA says:

Considering that Mat Morgan took his release in an Unlike Matt Morgan way, something tells me that TNA may be behind this.

7. JoeWrestling says:

He's going back to Ring Ka King to reclaim his belt.