Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Dec 17, 2013
Was AJ Styles’ TNA Departure Statement A Work?

Was AJ Styles’ TNA Departure Statement A Work?

While this is just a rumor and should be treated as such, there are some who now believe that AJ Styles has re-signed with TNA and his public statement about being a free agent yesterday was a work.

A source said: “The statement Styles issued yesterday was a work, and a blasphemous one at that.”

Styles has agreed to appear at the UWE event on March 15, which is something TNA officials likely agreed to in order to continue the story that Styles is done with the company. He is also booked for eight other appearances in 2014. If this is a work, it remains to be seen if he cancels any of them or works the shows even after re-signing with TNA.

Again, take this strictly as a rumor for now.

12 Responses to “Was AJ Styles’ TNA Departure Statement A Work?”

1. pepsilover2008 says:

And like any rumor this will be milked more than madden

• Tna4life says:

If this is a work TNA has done one heck of a job with it! WOW I’m not going to lie I’m confused and I don’t know? Does anyone know when was the last time he signed a contract with TNA and how long it was for? That should tell you if it’s a work or not in my mind?

• brooksideraider says:

The last I had heard was that he signed a 5 year deal in 2009 with an opt-out clause after year 4. The same type of deal Bobby Roode signed.

• Sturk says:

Works tend to help storyline. I don't believe he'd put a statement out before his on screen character loses the title if this is a work. It would be pointless and not make sense because it does nothing for whats actually going on in his tv character nor does it help ratings or tv out in anyway. I believe they're still talking trying to resign him of course but that's it.

• DarkNexxus says:

I'm going to say it's a storyline. One thing nobody has touched upon is that AJ's contract just ended within the last week, right? Isn't there a 90 day no compete clause on these contracts? And AJ's next match is in 11 days.

• Sturk says:

I think you are thiinking about WWE with the no compete clause. I don't believe it is a work because I KNOW AJ would never use his faith to fool ANYONE. AJ Styles has long proven him self to be a man of faith and he NEVER uses it in order to lie or fool us in storyline. It's not a work and i'll bet anyone it's not.

• jbcissom says:

I would agree, had he not swore during a promo either.

• tnadude says:

It's a work. Absolutely – it's a work. Feel free to call me out if I'm wrong because I'm not.

As far as his faith is concerned, I've read the statement a couple of times, and he really just says that he asked God to open doors that need to be opened and close those that need to be closed.

If you read it again and assume it's a work, I don't think he says anything that violates his faith, or is disrespectful to God in any way. Now, if he had said "I prayed to God to do the best thing for my family, and God told me to get out of TNA" – well, that would be different.

Regarding a no-compete clause, they probably do have one. But it wouldn't apply to non-televised Indy shows. TNA allows its talent to pursue those even while they're under contract. So no harm no foul on that either.

• ricky_No1 says:

i could not agree with you more.

• Philly_Cheese says:

No one knows for sure because TNA isn't a publicly traded company, and most contracts are kept very hush hush. For all we know he could've signed another 5 year contract and no one would know any better except those working at TNA, which lets face it; no one running this site (including Ryan Clark) has any connections to.

2. Nate says:

If this is true thank God! Styles belongs in TNA. WWE would unfortunately misuse him and water him down. I think that AJ Styles should have his own faction I think that would be a good way to go with his new character almost like Ravens Flock. I hope that this isn’t just a rumor or something untrue

3. Misanthropic says:

Wrestling is fictional when it comes to storylines. Therefor just because AJ is of faith foes not mean he cannot fake his release in TNA