Posted by TNA Wrestling News Staff on Jul 25, 2013
Chris Sabin Isn’t Worried About The State Of TNA

Chris Sabin Isn’t Worried About The State Of TNA

Chris Sabin recently spoke with Busted Open Radio about his World Title win, the recent downsizing in TNA and more. Check out the highlights:

On his title win being a surreal moment: “Yeah, I mean I put in a lot of hard work over the years. I’ve been with the company for over a decade. So it’s been a long road and put a lot of miles on my body but honestly it’s all been worth it. Just for that one moment, for that one moment in the ring, it was all worth it.”

On whether he expected it to happen as quickly as he did after his return: “It did happen very fast and no I did not expect that. I came in—I was coming back after two years being on the sidelines. So one of the things I tried to have was no expectations. And just try to do the best that I could, no matter what I was getting in. Whatever I had to do, just try to do the best I could because that’s all I really could do. You never know how things are going to turn out when coming back from an injury like that. People haven’t seen you in a while, it’s kind of like you’re starting over. So tried to go in there with no expectations man but it looks like some hard work paid off.”

On the reaction outside of TNA to his title win: “There were lots of congratulations. There were lots of text messages, my phone was blowing up that night. Lots of people that I’ve wrestled with, some friends, some family you know just saying congratulations. Cause I think a lot of my friends and family understand what wrestling means to me. And to have something like that happen they know that that’s a very significant part of my life. An accomplishment that I have always wanted to accomplish. So it was very nice.”

On if he did anything crazy with the title belt after he won it: “(Laughs) Not really. I kind of just took it, went back to the hotel and went to sleep honestly. You know I had to actually get up and wrestle the next day. So I didn’t do anything crazy you know just laid it on top of my pillow and gently laid my cheek next to it and had sweet dreams.”

On whether there is added pressure now that he is World Heavyweight Champion: “Well, I don’t feel like there is more pressure because this is what I have always waited for. This is what I’ve always wanted. I’ve always wanted to be in this position. So I feel a lot more comfortable because now I can feel like I will truly have the chance to express myself in the ring and with everything wrestling. So I’m looking forward to it. I know it’s gonna be a bigger challenge and it’s gonna be a lot more hard work but I like challenges and I’m looking forward to it.”

On if he enjoys the PR aspect of the company and doing interviews: “Yeah, I do enjoy it especially if guys are pretty fun and easy going like you two (Dave and Doug) you know what I mean? Where we can actually have a little fun and good conversation. Sometimes guys try to take things too seriously and ask you personal questions and stuff, it’s like ahh come on, you know? But when it’s interviews like this, I enjoy it. So thank you guys.”

On how it felt to be in the main event of a show that did good ratings nice numbers (Destination X): “It feels good but you have to keep that trend going. For it just to happen one time isn’t enough, you need to keep that, do that consistently. So it’s like it was cool that I was a part of the show that did a good rating but I would really like to be a part of the wave that continues and we consistently get that rating. And it wasn’t just me you know what I mean? I think that it was an X division themed show, I think that had a lot to do with it too. And especially promoting the show as Destination X: free Pay-Per-View. I think that we just gave the fans lots of reasons to turn in. And hopefully that continues.”

On the issues going on within TNA right now and if he has ever gone through something like it before: “Yeah, many times. Many times. I’ve seen the company change, management actually, many times. Just throughout the years but that’s just how it’s always been. Writers change, people’s jobs change, people come and go but it is weird every time because you get used to working with someone and use to seeing someone and then they’re not there anymore. So it’s like ahhh well what’s it gonna be like when the next group of guys that are coming in? So you got to pick it up and start over with that too but I’ve seen it happen many times and luckily I have seemed to stuck around the entire time so hopefully I can continue to stick around.”

On what he would say to fans that are worried about the future of TNA: “Well. How bout this? I am the TNA World Heavyweight Champion and I’m not worried. People have been saying they’ve been worried about the company honestly since I started. There has always been that little whisper in the background like oh no how much longer is it gonna last? That’s been going on since the beginning and you know what it is still here today. So even though I think this is maybe just another wave of little chatter and that’s all it’s gonna be. I think the company will continue to thrive.”

16 Responses to “Chris Sabin Isn’t Worried About The State Of TNA”

1. MikeS23 says:

No SHlT he isn't worried, he just got pushed to the moon.

2. KEVINROULETTE says:

He’s.not worried and I’m not panda energy has more money than wwe. Hell maybe tna will buy wwe one day lol.

3. tna caput mundi says:

I remember a match on tna impact of the 2004 or 5 where i was thinking about why Sabin cannot be at the aj's level in the world championship league? i consider Aj of another level above anybody and my x division favorite one still remains Low ki but at that period of time and then occasionally i thought that sabin deserved to be higher on the card.I give him credits.

• THISISASHOOT247 says:

me too. That period of time where he was having 5 star matches with Petey Williams, Joe, etc. in '04-'05 were better moments. I even think that his feud with Nash had potential. Motor City Machine Guns kinda ended that though, and I saw him as more of a tag team wrestler when that era began.

• tna caput mundi says:

Exactly .In that period of time if i had to choose someone of the x division guys ready to go to the next level(even if the x division title was and should be the number one title) then particularly in that period of time,i saw in Sabin some resemblance of Aj.

I even remember the match itself when i was thinking about that for first time ever and it was when Sabin was wearing a yellow n black knee pad (it's like to remember a team jersey for a particular season lol).
        Another example of period of time that i was thinking about the same thing but for another x division wrestler it was Kazarian of the '07.
        I call it "golden period of time" ,but i'm glad to see new chapters and i'm always looking for the right spirit in the ring associated with the right push at the right time.

4. tna24 says:

dude work his butt off to get where he is and im glad he got the title. i bet this might be his only title run but glad he got one. he earn it, but i thought the match could of been better.

5. Icestylez says:

Talk about who being deserved the title, and stick with TNA for long time, I guess Christopher Daniels is a much better choice! Kazarian too! At least they have a good gimmick. Lol, don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to see Sabin won, but still, without Shelly, Sabin is just a wrestler! It’s just weird on how he got the title on his first run..

• jflegler says:

You know, I kind of agree with you here. I would love to see the strap around Daniels – he is a solid worker and one of my favorites.

• tna caput mundi says:

speaking of Kazarian like i said i would liked to see him in the main event daily basis since '07 ,
      but we all agree about one thing: x division should be the number 1 title; then anyone should show his talents and play his game again right now.
      It would happen with the rightful spotlight to the high flying action[ MAIN EVENT] ( with no weight limits)everyday they got to prove something to the x division fans!

6. whatsup121 says:

Of course he’s going to say that

He’s the world heavyweight champ

What’s he going to say he’s scared

Sh$tless and I just emailed Vince I’m

Good to go in 91 days

7. TheUndyTaker says:

Love ya Chris Sabin … or " Mr Sabin " as Hogan kept referring to him as at Slammiversary coz he couldn't remember his 1st name LOL …

8. JoeWrestling says:

I agree people have been predicting the end of the company since it started. Like someone is a genius to predict the end of a wrestling company. If it doesn't go out of business, you still aren't wrong because "it just hasn't happened yet." It tells more about the person making the statement than the state of the company they have no financial information on. WWF was going to go out of business eventually too as a wrestling company, that's why they did the IPO and so much diversification of the business model away from wrestling to try to keep the company around long term.

9. RavenNevermore says:

Funny how morons think TNA is going out of bussines . Like they released huge names lol. And have you noticed Homicide. Petey Williams and Sonja Dutt? Yeah. And just think they could be freeing spots for better talents. Panda energy is very rich. A multi billion dollar company. So you idiots who say tna is going out of business. I have heard this all before. Move on

10. BOOOOM says:

I always wanted Alex Shelley to be the champ … better mic and wrestling skills, though, I am happy with Sabin!